Old 16-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] indoor lighting and bonsai

Mike: The Juniper needs to be out doors year round. The Juniper will
weaken if kept indoors. It might survive one year, but very rarely more
than two. It does need a dormancy period. You did not mention what
zone you are in, but in general the tree needs to be protected,
especially from wind, during the very coldest part of the winter. I keep
my trees in the garage. There had been a lot written and is available
in the archives. See the URL at the bottom of all IBC posts.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Mike wrote:

Hi All,

Sadlly to say my juniper from target is pretty brown and dead, but on the
other hand my trident is doing very well. I was wondering if there is an
indoor lighting solution for junipers? I saw some things on the internet
with growing lights? Anyone recommend one cause im thinking about ordering a
Juniper Chinenesis soon, but its too cold to be outside and eventually it
will be too hot to keep outside.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 16-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Nina Shishkoff

What is your goal with a juniper? I have seen indoor junipers that were actually alive, but that's, um, it: they were *alive*. If you want a bonsai, something with dense foliage, a thick trunk, a feeling of "treeness", it needs to be outside. Where on e
arth are you where it's too cold and too hot to keep a chinese juniper outside?

Nina, on "President's day" holiday, therefore, chatty as all getout.
Sadlly to say my juniper from target is pretty brown and dead, but on the
other hand my trident is doing very well. I was wondering if there is an
indoor lighting solution for junipers? I saw some things on the internet
with growing lights? Anyone recommend one cause im thinking about ordering a
Juniper Chinenesis soon, but its too cold to be outside and eventually it
will be too hot to keep outside.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Harry L Abel

carl, et al,
in general, i agree with the dormancy thing for junipers. however, some of
the finest j. procumbens and black pines i've ever seen were growing in a
commercial nursery south of miami, flawwwwwda. we were there in january, and it
was 80 o. they were outside, of course. so ....... what about dormancy in
this case??
harry

Harry Abel/Shinkigen...
garden design/build/management
www. shinkigen.com
psalm 150
rock and roll

Old 16-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Mike

Actually the plant that died on me was a small Juniperus procumbens 'Nana'
which i brought at target. I had to take the rocks off and everything and
for awhile it looked alright but then it browned up and died. By the way i
put it in a very cool but not frigid spot in the bathroom, had little light
and no direct sunlight and I kept it moist at all times.

I live in philadelphia, pennsylvania

Old 16-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Jim Lewis

carl, et al,
in general, i agree with the dormancy thing for junipers.

however, some of
the finest j. procumbens and black pines i've ever seen were

growing in a
commercial nursery south of miami, flawwwwwda. we were there

in january, and it
was 80 o. they were outside, of course. so ....... what about

dormancy in
this case??
harry

Juniper go to sleep -- if briefly -- down here, too.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 16-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Jim Lewis

Anyone recommend one cause im thinking about ordering a
Juniper Chinenesis soon, but its too cold to be outside and

eventually it
will be too hot to keep outside.

Gosh. I think the only place on earth I can think of where this
would be true is the Gobi desert.

Its nice to know that we have picked up a member from that part
of the world.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and
Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:
2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob
Lilienfield

Old 16-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 2/16/2004 3:45:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

By the way I
put it in a very cool but not frigid spot in the bathroom, had little light
and no direct sunlight and I kept it moist at all times.

If not dead when brought home your killed it with too little light and too
much water. Junipers should be watered only when dry to the pick method.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

Old 17-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 2/17/2004 11:15:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Wouldn't the photoperiod have something to do with dormancy also?

Photoperiod can have a lot to do with dormancy in some species, but in
this case I think the plant was killed by too much water.

Old 18-02-2004, 12:20 AM
Bill Sikes

Billy et al!

An older edition of the Brooklyn Botanical Garden's "Indoor Bonsai" had an
extensive article on how to grow ordinarily outdoor bonsai indoors year
round. It required an elaborate, but not difficult, grow-room that had
highly controlled lighting and ventilation, as well as the ability to keep
the humidity at a heightened level. Included as examples were the authors'
10-year-old Juniper procumbens nana and a boxwood. It was interesting to
see these trees and to see their development, then to realize that they had
never been outdoors.

Bill
South Georgia, USA
USDA Zone 8b Sunset Zone 27

indoor lighting and bonsai Mike Bonsai 3 08-05-2011 07:04 AM
[IBC] "Indoor Bonsai" (was: willow leaf bonsai dropping leaves)1 Khaimraj Seepersad Bonsai 1 25-03-2004 05:12 PM
[IBC] "Indoor Bonsai" (was: willow leaf bonsai dropping leaves) Jim Lewis Bonsai 3 25-03-2004 04:33 PM
[IBC] Indoor trees (was: [IBC] Another beginner to Bonsai (help?)) Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 3 30-07-2003 05:22 PM
[IBC] Indoor trees (was: [IBC] Another beginner to Bonsai(help?)) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 29-07-2003 08:32 PM