Old 28-02-2004, 04:16 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Chinese pots a-popin'

What a winter here in the NE.
It is finally supposed to warm up nice this weekend so yesterday I decided it was time to go out and water my stored trees. It'll be the first time watered since I put them away in early November. They've been frozen since then!
Wow, the chinese pots are a poppin', sides gone, feet sitting on the shelf when you pick them up, etc. Another down side to retail trees :) Now a second repot ( so they'll sell) will bring the pot cost up to what a nice Japanese pot would have costed to
begin with!. I rarely lose a Japanese pot.
Also, EVERYTHING in the yard and garden that sits on the ground ( without being 3 ft. deep anchored/footer ) is leaning or fell over! Even granite lantern is leaning. Even the greenhouse heaved up a bit so the support posts are lose. I can see I'll need a
few days in Spring to go level everything again!
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 28-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Harry in Iowa

(dalecochoy) held forth in

*********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Sorry to hear about your pots Dale. They must have been earthenware
or low fire clay pots. The low fired pots are still porous so frost will
eventually destroy them. I have heard that with low fire pots just
freezing and thawing once will usually not be a problem. Most of the low
fire pots I have made and left outside have gone the way of the dodo. It
is the repeated frost and thaw cycle that breaks the pot. Sounds like you
are in one of those "you get what you pay for" situations.
Send those chinese pots down to Jim, he'll never have that problem.

--
Harry in Iowa

"Land of mystery 'cause nobody really lives there"
Old 28-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 2/28/2004 12:45:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Sounds like you
are in one of those "you get what you pay for" situations.
Send those Chinese pots down to Jim, he'll never have that problem.

Actually I have had terra cotta pots "flake" off, maybe from cold and frost
and I am south of Jim.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

Old 28-02-2004, 10:27 PM
jklewis

Send those chinese pots down to Jim, he'll never have that problem.

I lost a Chinese pot this year. Tis a puzzlement because we had a very warm winter, but we did have some below freezing nights and that was enough for this one.

jim lewis - tallahassee, fl

Old 29-02-2004, 05:46 PM
dalecochoy

Old 29-02-2004, 06:14 PM