Old 01-06-2004, 02:20 PM

Default [IBC] Info on Pyracomeles

Hi Internet Bonsai Club folks. I received the following request, and have not
a clue as I don't know what a "pyracomeles" is.

Can anyone help Joyce who asked the original question, which is:

I attended the Florida Bonsai Convention this past weekend in Cape
Canaveral and bought a pyracomeles styled by Dave DeGroot. I have not been able to
get any specific information as to the care requirements for this beautiful
specimen. I live on the east coast of Florida (Palm City/Stuart area north of
Palm Beach). I checked Tom's plant information associated with your website but
there was nothing about this plant there. I want to give it the care needed
for it to thrive because it has great potential. I would appreciate any
information possible. Signed: Joyce Snodgrass, email:

Thanks,

Tom
Thomas L. Zane
100 Gull Cir N
Daytona Beach, FL 32119-1320

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Jim Lewis

During the workshop at which he (DeGroot) styled the tree,
someone said treat it like a Pyrocantha. It appears to be a
cross between Pyrocantha and something else (according to someone
else) -- hence the odd name.

Branches are said to have a LONG memory, so the wiring may have
to be redone a couple of times because the tree has a smooth bark
and wire scars would be LONG lasting.

I didn't see you there, Tom ?????

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

***************

***************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

Old 01-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Iris Cohen

xPyracomeles vilmorinii — (0°f, USDA Zones 7-9) This is an interesting
bigeneric cross of a Pyracantha and an Osteomeles! The result is a small,
semi-evergreen shrub with a spreading habit that has small, rounded, compound
leaves. Clusters of small white flowers lead to coral-red berries later in the
season.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 PM
BrianBay9

The good news - it doesn't have the thorns of a Pyracantha. The bad
news (from my own, sad personal experiences) - it is just as
susceptable to fireblight as Pyracantha.

Brian

--
BrianBay9
BrianBay9's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...fo&userid=1429

[IBC] please re-send vendor info Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 28-07-2003 07:02 PM
[IBC] Zone Info: Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 4 09-05-2003 06:45 PM
[IBC] Pyracomeles Iris Cohen Bonsai 4 09-03-2003 03:21 AM
[IBC] Info on Starting Trees for Bonsai John NJ Bonsai 14 26-02-2003 05:40 PM
Bonsai From The Wild; was [IBC] Info on Starting Trees for Bonsai Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 26-02-2003 12:05 AM