Old 22-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Rodger Kessler

Default [IBC] slabs

Is anyone aware of anyone who sells slabs either stock sizes or to spec??
Rodger Kessler in Vermont
Rodger Kessler Ph.D.
Fletcher Allen Healthcare
Berlin Family Health
Central Vermont Medical Center

Note: This transmission may contain confidential and/or privileged
information intended only for the addressee(s) name above. Any use,
dissemination or distribution by any person or entity other than the
addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please contact me immediately. Thank you

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Bart Thomas

Just look in the phone book for stone dealers. They sell slabs (Pennsylvania
bluestone is excellent) for ridiculously low prices ( around 25 cents per
pound). They are used to selling by weighing your vehicle before and after

When I did this, stone (about 30" x 15"), hammer and chisel together set me
back about $20.

Wear glasses when chipping the stone to size.

If you want something with really smooth edges, take it to a headstone
maker. (I recall you have many in Vermont.)

They have the diamond saws needed to make the cuts.
Is anyone aware of anyone who sells slabs either stock sizes or to spec??
Rodger Kessler in Vermont
Rodger Kessler Ph.D.
Fletcher Allen Healthcare
Berlin Family Health
Central Vermont Medical Center

Note: This transmission may contain confidential and/or privileged
information intended only for the addressee(s) name above. Any use,
dissemination or distribution by any person or entity other than the
addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this

transmission
in error, please contact me immediately. Thank you

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Dad

Living in VT, you should be able to find plenty of suitable slabs in the
mountains around you. Most of the ones that are sold are artificial, and
not nearly as convincing as real ones.
Marty

Old 22-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Richard Patefield

Just a note to readers in the UK.

You may be commiting a criminal offence if you collect stones of any
kind 'from the wild'.

Readers everywhere are encouraged to consult the local regulations.

Richard

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:50:20 -0400, you wrote:

Living in VT, you should be able to find plenty of suitable slabs in the
mountains around you. Most of the ones that are sold are artificial, and
not nearly as convincing as real ones.
Marty
Is anyone aware of anyone who sells slabs either stock sizes or to spec??
Rodger Kessler in Vermont
Rodger Kessler Ph.D.
Fletcher Allen Healthcare
Berlin Family Health
Central Vermont Medical Center

Note: This transmission may contain confidential and/or privileged
information intended only for the addressee(s) name above. Any use,
dissemination or distribution by any person or entity other than the
addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this

transmission
in error, please contact me immediately. Thank you

************************************************* ***************************
****

************************************************* ***************************
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 22-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Kitsune Miko

This request strikes me as odd, or perhaps it is me
that is odd, but if you are talking about a natural
piece of stone as a slab, last time I checked mother
nature was not doing stock sizes. I imagine you could
chisel one down to a spec size, but I find a natural
edge more impressive than a contrived one.

Kitsune Miko

--- Rodger Kessler
wrote:
Is anyone aware of anyone who sells slabs either
stock sizes or to spec??
Rodger Kessler in Vermont
Rodger Kessler Ph.D.
Fletcher Allen Healthcare
Berlin Family Health
Central Vermont Medical Center

Note: This transmission may contain confidential
and/or privileged
information intended only for the addressee(s) name
above. Any use,
dissemination or distribution by any person or
entity other than the
addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this transmission
in error, please contact me immediately. Thank you

++++Sponsored, in part, by John
Quinn++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
"I was born with a birth defect-- no herd instinct."
Brenda Ueland

Old 22-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Rodger Kessler

Exactly why I am searching for simulated slabs. Rodger

In a message dated 6/22/2004 4:22:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

This request strikes me as odd, or perhaps it is me
that is odd, but if you are talking about a natural
piece of stone as a slab, last time I checked mother
nature was not doing stock sizes. I imagine you could
chisel one down to a spec size, but I find a natural
edge more impressive than a contrived one.

Kitsune Miko

Kitsune:

I believe he is referring to simulated rock slabs. As one who has attempted
to work with what mother nature has to offer, the weight of these natural
slabs can be overwhelming.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

****
****

Old 23-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Dad

Me too, Kits
Marty

Old 23-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Dad

Richard:
Where is "wild" in the UK?
Marty

Is anyone aware of anyone who sells slabs either stock sizes or to

spec??
Rodger Kessler in Vermont
Rodger Kessler Ph.D.
Fletcher Allen Healthcare
Berlin Family Health
Central Vermont Medical Center

Note: This transmission may contain confidential and/or privileged
information intended only for the addressee(s) name above. Any use,
dissemination or distribution by any person or entity other than the
addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this

transmission
in error, please contact me immediately. Thank you

************************************************* **************************

*
****

************************************************* **************************

*
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

************************************************* **************************

*****

************************************************* **************************

*****

Old 23-06-2004, 01:07 AM
rreed19

Try to contact Joe Day in Mobile, Alabama
news:IKEPKIOLPOIMLINDECKMMENOCPAA.Rodger.Kessler@H itchcock.org...

Old 23-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Julie Trigg

I make my own. Much less weight . . . and I can make them any size/shape I
need.
Julie

Old 23-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Richard Patefield

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:35:02 -0400, you wrote:

Richard:
Where is "wild" in the UK?
Marty

'Many areas including such places as national parks, sites of special
scientific interest (SSSI's), geological reserves and nature reserves
do not allow the collection of any material, including rocks.
Limestone pavements, where spectacular weather worn limestone blocks
are exposed on the surface are a particularly sensitive area and must
on no account be collected from. The laws must be adhered to, by all
responsible collectors, as the beauty of an area or a rare animal or
plant habitat may easily be spoiled by indiscriminate collection.'

Simply being off the footpath can be an offence.

'The new trespass laws, included in the Criminal Justice Act, allow
prosecution for trespass. Permission must be obtained, if you move off
public rights of way, to wander on private land anywhere in the UK.'

This is quoted from IBC member Kev Bailey's website.
http://www.actionvideo.freeserve.co.uk/vocbsabout.htm

Richard

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 23-06-2004, 10:02 AM
kevin bailey

Thought I recognised that as I was reading :-)

This last paragraph 'The new trespass laws, included in the Criminal
Justice Act, allow prosecution for trespass. Permission must be
obtained, if you move off
public rights of way, to wander on private land anywhere in the UK.' is
probably overdue for revision. The problem is that I am still not
certain what the new 'right to roam' act really means. Must start
looking!

Yes we are a small island but there are still plenty of places that feel
really wild. In reality though, hardly any of it is unchanged by mans
influence. Virtually none of our original climax vegetation survives.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

[...]

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Jim Lewis

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:35:02 -0400, you wrote:

Richard:
Where is "wild" in the UK?
Marty

'Many areas including such places as national parks, sites of
special
scientific interest (SSSI's), geological reserves and nature
reserves
do not allow the collection of any material, including rocks.
==============

This is true on state and national parks, monuments, and
recreation areas in the USA, too, but too few people pay any
attention to it, alas. It is increasingly true in National
Forests and on BLM lands in the west -- mostly because of
irresponsible collectors (of almost anything that moves or can BE
moved).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 24-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

I've found 'stock' sized floor tile of slate (18" sq, 12" sq, etc.) which
can be broken around the edges with a pipe wrench. This would give a light
but natural slab sized for a small to medium sized planting. I like the
natural look. I'm looking at possibly planting on a thicker flagstone,
primarily for the look. Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

[IBC] SLABS Carl Rosner Bonsai 0 03-06-2005 11:56 AM
[IBC] slabs/collecting in the UK James Allan Bonsai 3 28-06-2004 07:02 AM
[IBC] handmade slabs Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 19-06-2004 01:05 AM
[IBC] Hypertufa for natural rock planters and slabs kevin bailey Bonsai 0 27-07-2003 12:02 AM
groun force cocrete slabs ob United Kingdom 13 03-02-2003 01:51 AM