Old 03-02-2003, 08:56 AM
Per Arne Pedersen

Default [IBC] Fukien Tea tree

Hi friends,

I have a Fukien Tea tree(Ehretia microphylla) styled as cascade. The
tree has been trained by turning the pot almost up-side down, for nearly
one year. This resulted in a very nice growth in the lowest area (when
the pot is placed correctly). However, I needed more growth on top of
the tree also (the pot still placed correctly).
What happened when I turned the pot over to a "normal" position, was
that the tree lost all the leaves over a period of two or three weeks.
After the "self-defoliation" it looked like it was going back to normal,
by shooting a lot of new leafs. This progress suddenly stopped, - and
now the tree seems to be dead. I have done the "bark-check" recently, -
and it is green and fresh.

The tree is under a Halogen lamp, in a relative humid room (around
75-80%) with good ventilation. The watering regime has not changed
(chopstick measurements).

I wonder what happens to the roots, when you turn the pot from "up-side"
down to a regular position. Will the roots actually get too little
water in such changes?
Has anybody of you seen this behaviour of the Fukien Tea tree before?
Have you any comments on what it might be?

Thanks for any answers or recommendations!

Per Arne Pedersen
Os/Bergen - Norway (Zone 7)
mailto

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Carl L Rosner

Per Arne:
Since you are using a Halogen lampo, why not try to place some aluminum
foil underneath the tree so that the Halogen lamp will reflect light
back on the lower growth.

I am sure you know that the Fukien Tea can be finicky when changing the
light, that is why I suggested the reflector idea.

I have trained a few cascades, (not Fukien Teas, though) and I used
some sort of screening over the soil which kept the soil from falling
out. I would place the pot on its side a couple days and then place it
in the up right position a couple days for its watering. This way you
shouldn't have to worry about the roots.

Good luck,

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48