Old 06-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] plant movement

I'm sitting here in Nina's kitchen writing on her
computer. I took everyones advice and shipped her
house gift here along with Anita and Craig's wedding
tree. All arrived well. I succumbed to a nice small
holly, which I will attempt to take back on the plane
in a shopping bag.

It is truly amazing on how small a place the world
becomes through the internet.

Kitsune Miko

=====
We don't want to out-grow our games.
If you were the size of a planet or a galaxy,
who would you talk to? Playing God
would be as boring as solitaire
or stomping on anthills, but require
more attention. Every lonely child
dreams a doll or book will come to life.
If you know how to grow, you must teach
others. You won't let yourself make it
alone.
__________________________
Dean Blehert

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Jim Lewis

I'm sitting here in Nina's kitchen writing on her
computer. I took everyones advice and shipped her
house gift here along with Anita and Craig's wedding
tree. All arrived well. I succumbed to a nice small
holly, which I will attempt to take back on the plane
in a shopping bag.

It is truly amazing on how small a place the world
becomes through the internet.

Kitsune Miko

And ain't it fun! I haven't taken as much advantage of it as I
should, but almost anywhere I want to go these days there's some
bonsaiest I could look up if I had the time (or wasn't so ^%$#
lazy! Or antisocial. Or something.).

Say HI to Nina for me -- but wait! This is HER computer.

Hi Nina!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who knows
that Kitsune was using HER OWN account, but still . . .

Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Kitsune Miko wrote:

I'm sitting here in Nina's kitchen writing on her
computer. I took everyones advice and shipped her
house gift here along with Anita and Craig's wedding
tree. All arrived well.

Anita told me about the tree, which is a small 6" or so trident maple that you've
been raising yourself for 20 or so years. It's a very meaningful gift, and we both
thank you for your generosity.

I succumbed to a nice small
holly, which I will attempt to take back on the plane
in a shopping bag.

On the Arizona end of the honeymoon (in Oct.) we'll be looking for nurseries that
specialize in cacti and succulents. Me, I'm looking for a fat ol' jade plant that
I'd never be able to find out here in the Northeast. Maybe some really neat cacti
too. I understand the prices are much lower out there for such plants. Out here a
large jade plant 2' tall, single trunk 3" or so would be well over $100-150,
probably more. What are prices like out there? Am I going to be disappointed?

We're planning to box up what we buy out there and have that count as one piece of
checked luggage each.

It is truly amazing on how small a place the world
becomes through the internet.

Kitsune Miko

It is indeed.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37
October 16, 11 AM--be there!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Jay Sinclair

Craig Cowing wrote:

snip

On the Arizona end of the honeymoon (in Oct.) we'll be looking for nurseries that
specialize in cacti and succulents. Me, I'm looking for a fat ol' jade plant that
I'd never be able to find out here in the Northeast. Maybe some really neat cacti
too.

If you get to Tucson, check out the Tanque Verde Greenhouse:

http://www.cactus-mall.com/tanque-verde/

Lots of cool cacti, at reasonable prices. Don't recall any jades, though.

In the Tucson area the Desert Museum is a mandatory stop.

Have fun!

Jay,
Leaving for Utah on Saturday

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Kitsune Miko

--- Craig Cowing wrote:

Anita told me about the tree, which is a small 6" or
so trident maple that you've
been raising yourself for 20 or so years. It's a
very meaningful gift, and we both
thank you for your generosity.

Well always happy to pass on trees to those who
apreciate them.

I did tell her it was still in training. It has never
been in a bonsai pot in the 20 years in bondage. It
still needs all that pinching that will give you those
wonderful fan-shaped branch ends you see in the
japanese magazines. It is sort of a broom style.

I succumbed to a nice small
holly, which I will attempt to take back on the

plane
in a shopping bag.

The holly seems ok and there was no hassle with the
airlines, but they did open my bag, tied shut with a
patriotic red, white, and blue tie. They lost the tie
and one of my dirty sox ...OR Nina, is it in the
bedroom?

I also frogot to write down the name of the holly and
I do wonder if if gets berries and whether I needed to
buy two of them? (sounds like hilleri)

Kitsune Miko
Safely back in CA zone 9

=====

Old 07-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Craig Cowing

Kitsune Miko wrote:

-snip

I also frogot to write down the name of the holly and
I do wonder if if gets berries and whether I needed to
buy two of them? (sounds like hilleri)

Kitsune Miko
Safely back in CA zone 9

Ilex crenata "Helleri." It has black berries that aren't much to look at. You'd
need a male plant if you want berries, at least that's my understanding. This
variety is often referred to as a "box holly" because of the similarity to boxwood.

Thank you again for the tree. I'm looking forward to seeing it next week.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++