Old 27-08-2004, 02:58 AM
Iris Cohen

There is a variety sold in my local nurseries distributed by a co. called
Fancilful. They in 4" pots. Some appear to be faster growing than others,
which gives me the impression that they may be different varieties althought
it isn't stated.

According to Bill Valavanis, the 'Shimpaku' available from the usual sources in
the US are all cutting grown from the same clone and tend to be uniform.
However, in Japan they may be from various stock plants (perhaps seedling
grown?)and there is likely to be more variation, although they are all labeled
'Shimpaku', actually 'Shinpaku.' Some choice collections may even have a
yamadori 'Shimpaku.' The Shimpakus from the Fanciful Company may be derived
from Japanese specimens. And as you can see from my 'Kishu Shimpaku,' labeling
is often careless. Iseli should know better! they could charge more for Kishu
than a regular Shimpaku.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 27-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Iris Cohen

As mentioned before I purchased plants of three varieties from Brent in Jan.
2004 and they are different.

Of course. http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/juniperu.htm
He carries 'Shimpaku,' 'Fudo Shimpaku,' 'Kishu Shimpaku,' and 'Itoigawa
Shimpaku.' I was referring to plants sold under the label 'Shimpaku.'

Old 27-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Kitsune Miko

http://www.uclick.com/client/smc/nq/

This link only good today (8-27-04) Or find the comic
non-sequiter for this day. Clever use of
horticultural techniques.

Kits

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Iris Cohen

And as you can see from my 'Kishu Shimpaku,' labeling is often careless.
Or, "creative."

Not sure what you mean by that. I paid $11 for the plant, club discount.
Nurseries are selling it for $12 or $13. They could make more money if they
labeled it 'Kishu Shimpaku.'

Old 27-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Michael Persiano

Suggestion:

Many of the local nurseries sell Shimpaku. These can usually be acquired for a nominal cost are at least 6-10 years of age.

Like anything, you will need some substance, i.e., sufficient branch selection options and foliar mass to construct the bonsai illusion. Smaller specimens acquired from mass producers of extremely young species will require as much as 5 to 10 years before you can really expect to begin to accomplish anything.

I have a Shimpaku that I have been growing for nearly 15 years, and it is only now ready to either be sold as prebonsai material or styled. It's amazing, but I am actually developing some patience in this art. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-08-2004, 11:46 PM

In a message dated 8/27/04 2:10:50 PM, IASNOB writes:
Suggestion:
Many of the local nurseries sell Shimpaku. * These can usually be acquired
for a nominal cost are at least 6-10 years of age.

I'm not sure why you are making this suggestion. I already have a 'Shimpaku'
cascade which I styled a year ago May with Bill Valavanis. It is still a baby
but it is coming along and I can't complain. I also have this little 'Kishu
Shimpaku' which I bought in June and put in the ground. I will dig it up in the
fall, because I don't think it will be quite hardy in the ground. When I
examine it closely I will decide what to do next. It is definitely a shohin
candidate. I don't need any more Shimpakus, thank you.
Trying to decide if I need a Pinus sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper.'
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++