Old 31-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Burning Bush

I have several very large Burning Bushes at various places in my yard as part of the landscaping. Some of them have been kept nice and compact, but there are 3 that we let go wild for a few years (prior to my moving into the house). They are beautiful bushes, but are way out of proportion and need to be drasically reduced. What is the best time of year to do really radical pruning on these: late fall after the leaves have fallen or early spring prior to leaves coming on? Just to keep this a legitimate posting - one of these will probably end up in a large pot at some point, so I don't want to kill any of them!

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 31-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Jim Lewis

On 31 Aug 2004 at 7:47, Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL) wrote:

I have several very large Burning Bushes at various places in
my yard as part of the landscaping. Some of them have been
kept nice and compact, but there are 3 that we let go wild
for a few years (prior to my moving into the house). They
are beautiful bushes, but are way out of proportion and need
to be drasically reduced. What is the best time of year to
do really radical pruning on these: late fall after the
leaves have fallen or early spring prior to leaves coming on?
Just to keep this a legitimate posting - one of these will
probably end up in a large pot at some point, so I don't want
to kill any of them!

If you don't care about flowers next year (and why should you,
There are other plants in the yard and other years?) you can
prune shrubbery just about any time of year, except, perhaps,
the day before a forecast freeze.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-09-2004, 03:52 AM
Anita Hawkins

Hi Jeff,

you wrote:
I have several very large Burning Bushes... 3 that we let go wild
for a few years....need to be drasically reduced.
What is the best time of year to do really radical pruning

Wait til early spring, as when you'd dig them for bonsai. I've
collected a number of these from the "wild" (they're invasive exotics
planted by the birds in the woods!) for bonsai, and they bud back well
even when cut back to just a trunk. Sometimes they die back a few
inches at large cuts, so consider cutting them a little further out
than you want. Thin the resulting sprouts that summer, and let them
ramify for a few years. You'll have nice compact plants soon!

And, if you want to grab one for bonsai then or later, they are
incredibly easy to dig, having masses of fine roots, even right at the
base of 3-4 inch trunks.

Oh, and BTW to dear Jim, drastically pruning (not just trimming) a
deciduous shrub in Jeff's zone is definitely NOT something to do "just
about any time of year" unless you really like the sight of
summer-toasted or freeze-dried new growth...

Best,
Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
"I am not bound for any public place, but for ground of my own where I
have planted vines and orchard trees, and in the heat of the day
climbed up into the healing shadow of the woods. Better than any
argument is to rise at dawn and pick dew-wet red berries in a cup."
~Wendell Berry

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Thank you, Jim & Anita. Barring any further info, I had planned to do it in the spring - your response very much eases my mind, because I'm talking about really drastic pruning back to the main branches. Your response (Anita) was also encouraging collecting for Bonsai. One of these is located where I eventually want to put some display benches, so will need to be relocated...into a nice over-sized pot ;-) Root base is about 8" - so any compacting & training of the tree over the next few years will be great. I will definitely keep your suggestion to leave a little extra length on the branches in case of die-back.

Thanks again,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

[...]

[IBC] burning bush Jerry Meislik Bonsai 2 14-03-2004 05:08 PM
Burning Bush question JWB Gardening 1 30-04-2003 08:32 PM
Burning Bush anyone? WSZsr Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Burning Bush anyone? WSZsr Texas 0 19-03-2003 11:56 PM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 12:44 AM