Old 09-09-2004, 02:41 AM
Andrew G

Default Superthrive. Snake oil or Miracle?

Hi everyone

Juest reading through some posts and saw a post on Superthrive (though it
was deliberately spelt different I think).
Is this stuff any good?
I have a very small bottle I got from a rep at work a few year ago. I have
tried it, but don't know if it made any difference.
I have a friend into Hydroponic gardening who uses it all the time. He was
sold by the readings on the bottle. I have only used it for transplanting,
after root pruning.
I'm nearly out of the stuff, know it's expensive, so wonder if it's worth
the money.
I am guessing not, but wondering if any of you have tested it and seen
results.
Cheers
Andrew
--
Mid North Coast
New South Wales

Old 09-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Marty Haber

Superthrive is probably the longest thread in this group. To my knowledge,
no controlled experiments have ever justified the blurb that comes with the
bottle. I'm among those who have used it and discarded it.
Marty
[...]

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Craig Cowing

Marty Haber wrote:

Superthrive is probably the longest thread in this group. To my knowledge,
no controlled experiments have ever justified the blurb that comes with the
bottle. I'm among those who have used it and discarded it.
Marty

I used it when I first got started in bonsai five years ago, but the price put me
off. I never did experiments to compare growth with and without it, but I'm simply
not willing to pay the price for something that makes such fabulous promises. My own
opinion is that a person is better off trying something like Michael Persiano's
Superfeeding program (in which, I realize, he has Superthrive as an ingredient,
although my suspicion is you could leave it out and see no difference) or your own
fertilizing program. In the end, it isn't just a magic bullet that is going to make
trees grow and develop well. It's intentional fertilization, pruning at the
appropriate times, the right amount of sun/shade, proper winter storage, etc.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Jim Lewis

On 9 Sep 2004 at 11:41, Andrew G wrote:

Hi everyone

Juest reading through some posts and saw a post on Superthrive (though it
was deliberately spelt different I think).
Is this stuff any good?

I and others say "NO!"

Others say "yes."

The science says, "probably not"

And, since the jury is definitely hung, your pocketbook (it is
absurdly expensive) also says it isn't worth it for the
"benefits," which at best are assumed.

The same probably goes for most of the other horticultural
tonics; many of the people who use and swear by them take good
care of their plants so they'd thrive anyway.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Old 09-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Iris Cohen

To my knowledge, no controlled experiments have ever justified the blurb
that comes with the
bottle.

One of the commercial growers in my orchid newsgroup did a controlled
experiment and found that it does work. Of course it is much too expensive in
small bottles. I buy it in pints or quarts, especially when I can get a
discount. Ignore the nonsense on the label. There is another similar product
called Roots2, which was tested by a university out West. However, Roots2 is
hard to find and stains everything it touches.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 09-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Jim Lewis

On 9 Sep 2004 at 16:04, Iris Cohen wrote:

To my knowledge, no controlled experiments have ever justified the blurb
that comes with the
bottle.

One of the commercial growers in my orchid newsgroup did a controlled
experiment and found that it does work.

I would love to hear how he set it up, how long it lasted, how
many plants in the test and control groups, and the results vs
the control set of plants. Did he publish? Has anyone seen the
"controlled" experiment?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 09-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Carl Rosner

Iris and all::
Try and find the Roots2Granuales... I use it all the time... when repotting...

I believe one of our members Da Su Nurseries sells it on the Internet.

Best regards,

Carl L. Rosner