Old 09-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Steve wachs

Default [IBC] Superthrive. Snake oil or Miracle?

Superthrive is not a miracle and it is not snake oil. It does have its
purpose. I used to help out at Jiu San Bonsai. Phil Tacktill used it on all his
transplants. It was used in a pump spray bottle and applied to the roots of all
plants being repotted. We used a concentration higher than the amount
indicated on the label. It does not have fertilizer, but seems to have a root
stimulant. There are few products out there that are similar. I don't know if they
have all the ingredient Superthrive has. (e. g) B1 startup, Do they work? I
think to some extent they work. it does smell like a vitamin I was given
when I was kid.

SteveW

LI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Lynn Boyd

Do they work? I
think to some extent they work. it does smell like a vitamin I was given
when I was kid.

SteveW

-----------------------
I cannot resist this -

How healthy, big and tall are you, Steve?
Ah, but just knowing that is not going to help me. I can say though:

I cannot see any reason to negate something that works for someone else.
It is a like calling someone a fool for using it. Oh, but not me, I
would
be afraid to be negative and end up being a fool myself. (Experientia
docet)

Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Carl Rosner

Dear IBCers:
I did use the product for awhile, but I do find that Roots2 granuales does the job of repotting shock just as well, if not better.

I must admit I have several Bonsai friends in South Africa that swear by it for repotting, but they do not have Roots2 to try and compare. At least not to my knowledge????

Carl L. Rosner

Old 10-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Mark Hill

Thanks for the info Carl.
I spent an hour this afternoon surfing, looking for instances of granular
Roots2 with no luck.
Do you remember where you purchased yours ?

Mark Hill - Harrisburg, PA - Zone 6

PS .... The Wrightia religiosa (water jasmines} you sent me are looking good
!!
I clipped them down to 4 inches, slip potted them on angles, gave them some
movement and the leaves are growing like crazy.
Thanks.

Steve wachs wrote:
Superthrive is not a miracle and it is not snake oil. It does have its
purpose. I used to help out at Jiu San Bonsai. Phil Tacktill used it on all
his transplants. It was used in a pump spray bottle and applied to the roots
of all plants being repotted. We used a concentration higher than the amount
indicated on the label. It does not have fertilizer, but seems to have a
root stimulant. There are few products out there that are similar. I don't
know if they have all the ingredient Superthrive has. (e. g) B1 startup, Do
they work? I think to some extent they work. it does smell like a vitamin I
was given when I was kid.

SteveW

****
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
-- --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Ben Griffin

You can purchase it from bonsaitrees.com.

He has roots 2 and roots 2 with the michrohizia "im sure i just spelled
that wrong" its dasu bonsai.

regards
Ben

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 12-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Andrew G

"Steve wachs" wrote in message
Superthrive is not a miracle and it is not snake oil. It does have its
purpose. I used to help out at Jiu San Bonsai. Phil Tacktill used it on

all his
transplants. It was used in a pump spray bottle and applied to the roots

of all
plants being repotted. We used a concentration higher than the amount
indicated on the label. It does not have fertilizer, but seems to have a

root
stimulant. There are few products out there that are similar. I don't

know if they
have all the ingredient Superthrive has. (e. g) B1 startup, Do they work?

think to some extent they work. it does smell like a vitamin I was given
when I was kid.

Thanks to yours and everyones reply.
Ok, maybe I should have asked if it was a snake oil or a "very good
product".
I don't know, guess I am wary of anything that claims so much. WIthout
looking directly at a jar of that crap smelling stuff us Aussies eat called
vegemite also contains this B1 stuff (I think) and people here claim to use
vegemite as a root hormone when rooting powder or liquid is not available.
I only have a 15ml bottle of the stuff, which is very small, and although I
got it for free I am told it's worth about $10 Aus, so really expensive
stuff IMHO if it's not going to show very good results.
At work when a new fert comes in that we may want to try we test it along
side others we use by simply marking areas of grass and testing product a
next to b, with c being no fert. So I might just use whats left of my
superthrive on some annual seedlings. Maybe one with superthrive, one with
superthirve and a fert, one with a fert, and one with nothing, and keep all
other factors equal, just to see, and will post the results here. Ok, I'm no
professional, but that alone should give an indication.
But thanks again to all posters, something I thought I'd ask anyway.

Cheers
Andrew
--
Mid North Coast
New South Wales

SteveW

LI NY

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 12-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Jim Lewis

At work when a new fert comes in that we may want to try we
test it along
side others we use by simply marking areas of grass and testing

product a
next to b, with c being no fert.

The difference is that fertilizers all contain pretty much the
same thing -- NPK and trace elements in various proportions.

ONLY the maker of S'thrive know what's in it. The company
refuses to have USEPA (or other labeling agencies in other
countries) test and label it as other "fertilizers" do, so
there's been no "official" analysis of what in it.

This super secrecy is another point against it. I have known a
LOT of charletans who use the same arguyement -- "someone may
steal my precious formulae" -- as justification for not telling
all.

So I might just use whats left of my
superthrive on some annual seedlings. Maybe one with

superthrive, one with
superthirve and a fert, one with a fert, and one with nothing,

But one thin is certain S'thrive is NOT a fertilizer (no NPK as
far as anyone knows, and at the concentrations recommended
there's be darned little anyway, if there were). I can pretty
much guarantee the ones without a fertilizer will do more poorly
than the ones with both.

and keep all
other factors equal,

Hard to do except in a very controlled environment.

Buy some good fertilizer, instead and grow nice bonsai.

BTW, plants MAKE vitamins, they don't use them, and there's a
considerable amount of research saying that Vit. B can actually
HURT growth.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature