Old 23-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] My Chestnut is Poorly

On 23 Oct 2004 at 18:15, oldguy wrote:

Now it just sits on its window sill looking very sad. I can see no
little green buds anywhere and bark on all its branches and trunk seems
to be shrivelling.

What can I do?

I suspect, nothing.

I don't know of an "indoor" tree called "chestnut." If you are
writing of Castanea species, they are NOT indoor trees.

I suspect you have come to the end of the long period of decline
that an outdoor tree suffers when kept indoors.

If you can scratch the bark somewhere on the trunk and still
come up with some healthy-looking green cambium, there MAY be
hope. But not if you keep it inside.

Get it outside and let it feel fresh air and sunlight that isn't
filtered through a pane of glass. If it is leafless, water ONLY
when the soil feels dry.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Registered User

Location: Honington, Lincolnshire, UK
Thumbs up

Hello Jim

It's called a 'chestnut' because it started out life as an edible chestnut - purchased at a supermarket - that my daughter put in a flowerpot full of soil and placed on a window sill shortly after Christmas, from which it sprouted ten years ago.

It's described as 'indoor' because I it has lived all its life inside my house.

I shall take your advice to put it outdoors and see what happens. My disappointment - nay dismay - is that until this year it has seemed very happy on its window sill: its leaves appeared a healthy green and its bark smooth, shiny and dark. Your suggestion that it would be much happier outdoors is probably right.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Oldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lewis

My Chestnut is Poorly oldguy Bonsai 0 23-10-2004 06:15 PM
Pachera / tropical chestnut. Pablo Edible Gardening 0 17-11-2003 02:42 PM
[IBC] Horse Chestnut Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 02-09-2003 12:02 AM
Horse Chestnut Seedlings StormCrow United Kingdom 6 13-05-2003 04:32 PM
Sprouting/Growing Edible Chestnut? Terry United Kingdom 6 11-03-2003 12:32 PM