Old 01-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Gonna be a busy spring

Just went though my record book to identify trees that might
need repotting this coming spring (late January around here).
The list ended at 28. I knew that I'd pay for an easy spring
THIS year. (It would have been worse if I hadn't lost 40 mame
this past summer.)

Some may end up not needing repotting, of course, but then there
are 2 or 3 trees in my growing-on area that need to be put into
their first pots.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

Just went though my record book to identify trees that might
need repotting this coming spring (late January around here).
The list ended at 28. I knew that I'd pay for an easy spring
THIS year. (It would have been worse if I hadn't lost 40 mame
this past summer.)

Some may end up not needing repotting, of course, but then there
are 2 or 3 trees in my growing-on area that need to be put into
their first pots.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Same thing here, except my trees are a bit bigger than yours, Jim! I've got at
least 6 or so that are in wooden boxes that need repotting, the boxes varying in
size from 1-2 ft in length. I guess I'm going to have to stock up on Turface this
winter.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 01-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Iris Cohen

My problem is soil. I can buy very good soil mix in Rochester, but I already
have a supply of chicken grit & Turface. I can't find ground up pine or fir
bark. The finest grade of fir bark I can get is only suitable for conifer mix.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Old 01-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Theo

well well well x next spring
3 grown maples probaly 4 ,
1 pentaphilla & maybe a second one also if I dare
and repot 1 red pine as well
20 small new born maples from 5" to 17 " tall I already selected
the ones to keep with a string lebel with a description of autumnal color ,
4 serissas from cuttings if they will survive their second winther
outside ( my experimentations)
sieved the lava grit in 4 different shapes
looking for nice stones.. for some maples on the rocks :-)
if I have time for my pottery tuition (if I find a place) will do
some new age pottery for my maples or make a baked clay rock
it is amazing I got rid of 3 bonsais and I am with 20 more ... will
need to get rid of 3 cork oaks from seedlings and give back to my
doughter 3 ginkos same age as her daugheter (4 yo )
get rid of a double flower granatum that does not want to flower in pots
and I have at least 5 new maples cuttings in the soil hoping to root ...

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 02-12-2004, 03:15 AM
Roger Snipes

Jim,

Your post prompted me to go through my list for potting next spring. I only
have 37 scheduled for repotting, so this coming spring should be a
relatively easy one. I had about 50 on the list this past spring. I was
pretty much going non stop every weekend from late March through mid May.

More shohin and fewer big trees are looking better all the time. :-)

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5, or maybe 6 depending on who you believe.