Old 04-02-2005, 04:29 AM
KevinH

Default Collected bougainvillea help

Hello - My employer is landscaping and I had the good fortune to collect a
40 year old bougainvillea, about 9 inches diameter at the base and some 16
inches tall. It's potted in a large plastic container, the roots soaked in
a solution of Rootone and Superthrive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as
this will be my first collected bonsai. My question is about what to do to
avoid hollowed stems from drying or rot where the chops where made (there
are two chops about 12 inches from base). Is there some special treatment
for the exposed part of the trunk that will preserve the trees shape? I
live in Miami, FL.
TIA,
Kevin
--
***
A path is made by walking. - Chuang Tsu

Old 04-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Jim Lewis

On 3 Feb 2005 at 23:29, KevinH wrote:

Hello - My employer is landscaping and I had the good fortune to collect a
40 year old bougainvillea, about 9 inches diameter at the base and some 16
inches tall. It's potted in a large plastic container, the roots soaked in
a solution of Rootone and Superthrive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as
this will be my first collected bonsai. My question is about what to do to
avoid hollowed stems from drying or rot where the chops where made (there
are two chops about 12 inches from base). Is there some special treatment
for the exposed part of the trunk that will preserve the trees shape? I
live in Miami, FL.
TIA,

Yes. Some kind of cut sealant is warranted there. The easiest
to use in Elmer's woodworker's glue.

For the "next" time you have this kind of opportunity, Rootone
or other rooting hormones used on ROOTS themselves actually
inhibits rooting. It is designed to promote rooting in STEM
tissue.

Bougies are hearty growers and root easily from cuttings,
though, so it SHOULD overcome this.

Give it a balanced fertilizer; all this you read about not
fertilizing after transplant is hooie. Just follow label
directions for normal fertilization.

Sit it out in the sun. Won't hurt at this time of year -- even
in Miami. Do not overwater. Bougies like dry feet.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-02-2005, 05:24 PM
dalecochoy

Kevin,
Since you live in Miami, why not call over to Fairchild Tropical Gardens and
get the contact info for Miami Bonsai Club and meeting dates there. EVERYONE
in the club has lots of collected bougies. You need to join the club
anyhow.
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

Old 04-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Jim Lewis

On 4 Feb 2005 at 12:31, dalecochoy wrote:

Kevin,
Since you live in Miami, why not call over to Fairchild Tropical Gardens and
get the contact info for Miami Bonsai Club and meeting dates there. EVERYONE
in the club has lots of collected bougies. You need to join the club
anyhow.
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio

Get to the Miami bonsai club at

President is Luis Rayon.

Old 05-02-2005, 02:25 AM
KevinH

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message

For the "next" time you have this kind of opportunity, Rootone
or other rooting hormones used on ROOTS themselves actually
inhibits rooting. It is designed to promote rooting in STEM
tissue.

Makes Sense. Luckily, I think most of it washed out when I applied
Superthrive.

Give it a balanced fertilizer; all this you read about not
fertilizing after transplant is hooie. Just follow label
directions for normal fertilization.

Sit it out in the sun. Won't hurt at this time of year -- even
in Miami. Do not overwater. Bougies like dry feet.

Will do. And thanks again, Jim.

Kevin

Old 05-02-2005, 02:35 AM
KevinH

"dalecochoy" wrote in message
Kevin,
Since you live in Miami, why not call over to Fairchild Tropical Gardens

and
get the contact info for Miami Bonsai Club and meeting dates there.

EVERYONE
in the club has lots of collected bougies. You need to join the club

anyway.

I keep planning to do that and after 4 years of casual bonsai work think
it's high time. A buddy of mine joined the club a year ago and his
collection has quadrupled. This is not my aim. I hope to have 5 or 6 nice
specimens into old age. I know I would benefit from the collective wisedom
of the club.

Kevin

Old 05-02-2005, 06:30 PM
dalecochoy

Kevin said:
This is not my aim. I hope to have 5 or 6 nice
specimens into old age.
Kevin

Ha! Ha!
I'm sorry Kevin, this made me chuckle! :)
You might as well start building more benches right now :)
You'll see what I mean after your first meeting ( or show)
Dale

Old 05-02-2005, 07:55 PM
KevinH

From: "KevinH"

Kevin said:
This is not my aim. I hope to have 5 or 6 nice
specimens into old age.
Kevin

Ha! Ha!
I'm sorry Kevin, this made me chuckle! :)
You might as well start building more benches right now :)
You'll see what I mean after your first meeting ( or show)
Dale

I'm planning the trip to the World Bonsai Conference in D.C. and now have
this strong sense of foreboding. Thanks, Dale! :-)

But I'm curious... when does a hobby, even a very serious hobby, turn into a
part time job? Honestly, I read some of the posters here and stories of
elaborate water drip systems, vacation hell (or no vacations at all),
thefts, losses from all directions, gardens, garages, and porches brimming
with bonsai, and a lump forms in my throat. Will I get to the point where I
have to prune and wire my collection and think "well, there goes the week!"
Is there anything I can do to escape this?

What did you start with and at what rate did you acquire new material? How
many do you have now? If I get the bonsai bug bad, is there a 12-step
program to help me or am I doomed?

Kevin
+++
A path is made by walking. - Chuang Tsu

Old 05-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Kitsune Miko

We do have a tendancy to over indulge in tree
aquisition. Some helps rests in picking a specialty,
or limit yourself to local plants. Now that I am
retired I have the time to take care of my 300+ plants
in various stages. I just put up several flats of
cuttings.

Kits
--- KevinH wrote:

"dalecochoy" wrote in
message
From: "KevinH"

Kevin said:
[...]

+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 05-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Jim Lewis

On 5 Feb 2005 at 14:55, KevinH wrote:

I'm planning the trip to the World Bonsai Conference in D.C. and now have
this strong sense of foreboding. Thanks, Dale! :-)

Well, I can't visit Dale's booth -- ever -- without buying a
pot, and wishing I could justify a few more. So don't forget to
add a collection of empty pots to the growing collection of
bonsai. And then, of course, you have to fill the pots.

But I'm curious... when does a hobby, even a very serious hobby, turn into a
part time job?

If it ever becomes a "job" you better take up knitting.

Honestly, I read some of the posters here and stories of
elaborate water drip systems, vacation hell (or no vacations at all),
thefts, losses from all directions, gardens, garages, and porches brimming
with bonsai, and a lump forms in my throat.

Ours, too. But in our case we've been drooling with excitement
for weeks planning the new watering system, building that new
table, or whatever.

Will I get to the point where I
have to prune and wire my collection and think "well, there goes the week!"
Is there anything I can do to escape this?

Knitting.

What did you start with and at what rate did you acquire new material? How
many do you have now?

I suspect we all started with one tree. Some of us may still
have that tree, but we took the advice freely given here that
someone with one tree will quickly love it to death. By
extrapolation the same goes for 2, 4, and 6 trees -- or 20. ;-)

Most of us built a collection of "bonsai" -- often as many as
100 or so. Then we learned enough to take good hard looks at
those "bonsai" and see that only 2 or 3 of them could drop the
quotation marks, and we dumped them -- or moved them back into
training pots for some _serious_ work.

Our collections built up again until we took another serious
look and pared back again. By then, we had some (or more) gray
in our hair.

I've had as many as 250 trees. I'm down to about 50 now, and
plan to stay there. I still collect new trees, but I cull
ruthlessly every spring.

If I get the bonsai bug bad, is there a 12-step program to

help me or am I doomed?

It's called old age.

Jim Lewis - - God has cared for these
trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a
thousand straining, leveling tempests and floods; but he cannot
save them from fools. - John Muir on the redwoods

Old 05-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Alan Walker

You're doomed, Dude! Might as well accept it. The first
step in our program (My name is Alan, and I'm a bonsaiholic.) is
to set aside your denial and admit that you have an obsession
that has a big hold on you. Join your local bonsai club. They'll
reinforce your obsession and normalize it for you. ;-)
The drip irrigation systems, etc. do help manage the load
and make it possible to get away for vacations. Besides, that's
a side benefit of club membership. You can usually find someone
trustworthy to check on your bonsai to make sure that your
watering system is working while you're away. You'll do the same
for them. That's how it works. How else can you get away for
bonsai conventions?! ;-)
Most of the time it won't seem like a job, more like
something you just need to do. ;-)
Welcome aboard, Sport!
Alan Walker

Old 05-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Marty Haber

Sorry, Kevin, you sound like you're doomed - like the rest of us. Once the
bug bites, there is no return.
Better get used to living the life.

From: "KevinH"

OME.EASE.LSOFT.COM +++++

Old 05-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Theo

Kevin it depends upon many factors time place skill and money
you can do a retirement hobby with 2-5 plants or a million dollars
business if you can invest and have land or premises to stock and sell
and all teh connected items ..

From: "KevinH"

Kevin said:
[...]

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 05-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Theo

Kitsune Miko wrote:

We do have a tendancy to over indulge in tree
aquisition. Some helps rests in picking a specialty,
or limit yourself to local plants. Now that I am
retired I have the time to take care of my 300+ plants
in various stages. I just put up several flats of
cuttings.

if you were living in apt with only a balcony or a window sill maybe
you would indulge in 1 oudoor and maybe 2 indoors

Einstein relativity is applicable also to Bonsai :-D

Old 05-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Theo

:-D
I keep on an average of 20 and next spring will thin them out, over
10 specimens IMHO is slavery not a pleasure ...
I already gave away as many as 40 in 25 years the problem is that
5 go out from the main door and 10 comes inside from the back door :-D
I never exceeded 26 guests !