Old 30-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Dimitrios Kalderis

Default [IBC] Japanese Maple Dissectum Roseo Marginata

Hi all,

Just received this Japanese Maple (a dream come
true)knowing that it will be a struggle to keep it
alive here in Greece, so I would like to ask a few
clarifying questions.

It gets quite hot here in the summer, shade
temperatures in the high 80s - low 90s, so I am not
sure if placing my maple outside will be a good idea.
Outdoor humidity at the moment is about 75%, in the
summer, it is even less. (My area is zone 10 as far as
I know).

Will it survive indoors during the summer, in a
location that receives a good amount of light but not
direct sunshine ?

Will daily misting or a humidity tray be of any help ?

Any suggestions for the summer period will be greatly
appreciated.

Dimitris

http://mail.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Marty Haber

Not indooors! Keep it outdoors in mottled shade. It probably won't do well
anyway because of the low humidity; but it will have a better chance outside
than in.

Old 30-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi all,

Just received this Japanese Maple (a dream come
true)knowing that it will be a struggle to keep it
alive here in Greece,

snip

Will it survive indoors during the summer, in a
location that receives a good amount of light but not
direct sunshine ?

No.

Will daily misting or a humidity tray be of any help ?

Probably not. Constant mist would keep humidity and
temperatures down, but probably would also keep the soil too
soggy. Humidity trays only raise the humidity of the air space
a couple of centimeters off the water surface, so they'd do no
good either.

Any suggestions for the summer period will be greatly
appreciated.

I think you will be extraordinarily luck to keep a dissectum
alive under the conditions I recall from Grecian summers --
though the ones I know are mostly from Rhodos. Dissectum
struggle here in zone 8.

Try early morning sun (perhaps until 10 o'clock) then quite
heavy shade for the rest of the day. If you can establish a
morning sun fern grotto somewhere, that would be the best.
climate

Dimitris

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Dimitrios Kalderis

thank you all for the advice
Fortunately, I can keep the maple outside in my
balcony where it will receive early morning sun and
shade for the rest of the day.

I have constructed a large box with wooden edges and
transparent film on the sides and top, maybe this will
help in the hot days of the summer if I can maintain a
constantly lower temperature and higher humidity
inside the box.

thanks again

Old 31-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Pauline Muth

Please do not put the maple in this box. Transparent film will act like a
greenhouse and the temperature inside will be HIGHER not lower. You could
cook the tree.
Pauline F Muth Zone 4 West Charlton NY USA
www.pfmbonsai.com

Old 01-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Layne

Hi Dimitrios,

We grow Japanese maples here in Southern California, USA (zone 8-11).
There are different microclimates, but where I live (Hollywood) it can
get up to 90 - 100 degrees during summer months. During these months
hot, dry, what we call Santa Ana, winds can come from the east
(inland) from the dessert. Humidity can be well below 50% which is
probably much lower than what you get during your summers. We can and
do get leaf scorch here with these conditions, but the maples are
otherwise fine.

Your maple should be fine in your area. Just remember to use good
draining soil, keep the soil moist, but not wet. Do not overwater.
Water regularly. A missed watering on a hot day can lead to leaves
drying up. I would advise against constant misting as this could lead
to powdery mildew on the leaves. Do not put the tree in the plastic.

There is a red Japanese maple culitvar in downtown Los Angeles at a
Buddhist Temple that gets FULL sun. Definately not the ideal
environment for a red maple here in LA. Last summer was very hot and
all the leaves dried up. But, being well established, the tree is
leafing out this spring a beautiful red! Just goes to show you the
resiliency of these trees.

Layne

************************************************* *******************************

Old 02-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Mathias Uely

Dimitrios
south of Rome maples do not survive in Italy
marine air is salty and spoils the leaves..
dissectum are more delicate to hot sun .. so if you live on a half
hill and you have mild nights or some fresh ones you will have chanace
to make it survive.. do not hope vivid colors as maples needs at least
2.-3 chilli nights to have sugars rise into leaves
keep it outside under half shade a half roof made out of bamboos or
others material will dim the intesnity of the sun use mildly acidic
soil and survey that the soil will stay moist but not soggy

good luck

Dimitrios Kalderis wrote:

thank you all for the advice
Fortunately, I can keep the maple outside in my
balcony where it will receive early morning sun and
shade for the rest of the day.

I have constructed a large box with wooden edges and
transparent film on the sides and top, maybe this will
help in the hot days of the summer if I can maintain a
constantly lower temperature and higher humidity
inside the box.

thanks again
Dimitris

http://mail.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

sad snowbush (breynia nivosa roseo-picta) esti Gardening 0 01-01-2007 05:08 PM
Problems with Dracaena marginata (dragon Tree) mbelcher68 Gardening 0 15-10-2005 05:41 PM
Wintering an Acer Palmatum Dissectum Mab United Kingdom 14 06-10-2005 12:08 PM
dracena marginata colette Gardening 2 22-10-2003 08:02 PM
Sickly Dracaena marginata (indoors) Coryadaurus Rex Gardening 7 17-09-2003 01:42 PM