Old 30-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Tiziano

Default Jin

Hi
On a Juniper -
in a new branch if you peel it you can see a tender
reddish pink under the first peel ,and it is also thick and
plenty of sap..
on an old branch how can one distinguish the alive bark
from the dead one?
the layers of bark are so dry and thin and shade from
grey to vague reddish that is hard to guess, any tip?
thanks
Tiziano

Old 30-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Jim Lewis

Tiziano wrote:
Hi
On a Juniper -
in a new branch if you peel it you can see a tender
reddish pink under the first peel ,and it is also thick and
plenty of sap..
on an old branch how can one distinguish the alive bark
from the dead one?
the layers of bark are so dry and thin and shade from
grey to vague reddish that is hard to guess, any tip?
thanks
Tiziano

You aren't peeling enough off. Go deeper than the reddish
pink layer, down to the bare yellow(ish) WOOD. That reddish
pink stuff is the "live" part (cambium) of the tree. It
dries to an ugly brown after exposure. The wood itself
should be immediately under that very thin layer.

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Tiziano

Jim Lewis wrote:

You aren't peeling enough off. Go deeper than the reddish pink layer,
down to the bare yellow(ish) WOOD. That reddish pink stuff is the
"live" part (cambium) of the tree. It dries to an ugly brown after
exposure.

Hi Jim
but how can sap flow into such dry bark , I expected to
find something more soft & juicy 2-3 mm thick

The wood itself should be immediately under that very thin
layer.

when Iu cut in with a knife it looks like to cut into
wood not bark .. after that live"veins* are formed how long
will it takes before they thickens, any idea ?

Thanks
Tiziano

Old 31-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Tiziano wrote:
Jim Lewis wrote:

You aren't peeling enough off. Go deeper than the reddish pink layer,
down to the bare yellow(ish) WOOD. That reddish pink stuff is the
"live" part (cambium) of the tree. It dries to an ugly brown after
exposure.

Hi Jim
but how can sap flow into such dry bark , I expected to
find something more soft & juicy 2-3 mm thick

It doesn't. The sap runs up "tubes" in the outer parts of
the woody section of a stem -- the Xylem -- pulled by the
transpiration of water from the leaves.

The cambium layer -- usually much less than a mm thick -- is
the live cells that make the tree grow larger. It grows in
both directions, making bark on one side and sapwood on the
other.

See:
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sub...bel/labeltree/

for the very basic of basics of tree anatomy.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 01-06-2005, 06:46 AM
Tiziano

Jim Lewis wrote:

Hi Jim
It doesn't. The sap runs up "tubes" in the outer parts of the woody
section of a stem -- the Xylem -- pulled by the transpiration of water
from the leaves.

The cambium layer -- usually much less than a mm thick -- is the live
cells that make the tree grow larger. It grows in both directions,
making bark on one side and sapwood on the other.

ok .. what is making me perplex is the difference of the
bark in younger branches , half inch size where you can
feel the tender under your nail , and the base of the
trunk that is about 3 "and a part is decayed, I cannot see
exctly , where the sap is going from roots ,as all looks so
dryed out .. Roots are located only in one side as the
tree was a branch that spontaneously layered as touching
the soil .
I think I will leave the juniper root well first ,and
if survives with time will find
out where is exactly this live bark, and where
I can cut it away to make a jin.
When you see Juniper bonsais with jin the redwood wein
looks so thick, like a cord , that makes me perplex how to
make the same on my tree

Thanks for the links I 'll have a look again as is
always useful to read things over and over again ...

When to make a jin Tiziano Bonsai 4 08-06-2005 04:37 PM
[IBC] Jin [email protected] Bonsai 1 06-05-2005 06:13 PM
[IBC] Ficus with Jin Steven Wachs Bonsai 3 06-05-2005 02:19 PM
Ficus with Jin Tiziano Bonsai 3 04-05-2005 07:04 PM
[IBC] Juniper Jin and Shari Hung Le Bonsai 2 25-05-2003 02:08 PM