Old 08-06-2005, 06:10 AM
Tiziano

Default When to make a jin

Hi
I am workin on a junuperus rigida and some branches and
top will be jinned
Master JKyuzo Murata said that the season for carving
is winther , but the bark peels off away easily in may-june.
and is hotter for make juns dry before applying liquid..
It is the first time I am doing it and I am quite perplexed
the world *carving * makes me perplex it is ment in
general meaning as to peel the branch and sculture it or
can be peeld teh brench in may june and let dry 6 months and
Carve suclpure in jannuary?
thanks for informations
Tiziano

Old 08-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Jim Lewis

Tiziano wrote:
Hi
I am workin on a junuperus rigida and some branches and
top will be jinned
Master JKyuzo Murata said that the season for carving
is winther , but the bark peels off away easily in may-june.
and is hotter for make juns dry before applying liquid..
It is the first time I am doing it and I am quite perplexed
the world *carving * makes me perplex it is ment in
general meaning as to peel the branch and sculture it or
can be peeld teh brench in may june and let dry 6 months and
Carve suclpure in jannuary?
thanks for informations
Tiziano

If you are carving with anything other than a knife, it's
always better to wait until the wood dries. Otherwise,
tools like rotary cutters, Dremel, etc. just make the wood
burr up. You can peel the bark any time; just be sure that
the edges of the cut are sharp, and with a juniper a very
narrow layer of vaseline (petroleum jelly) over the cut edge
won't hurt. It will keep the edge of the bark from drying
and peeling back and will last just long enough for the
healing process to work.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Jim Lewis wrote:

Tiziano wrote:
Hi
I am workin on a junuperus rigida and some branches and
top will be jinned
Master JKyuzo Murata said that the season for carving
is winther , but the bark peels off away easily in may-june.
and is hotter for make juns dry before applying liquid..
It is the first time I am doing it and I am quite perplexed
the world *carving * makes me perplex it is ment in
general meaning as to peel the branch and sculture it or
can be peeld teh brench in may june and let dry 6 months and
Carve suclpure in jannuary?
thanks for informations
Tiziano

If you are carving with anything other than a knife, it's
always better to wait until the wood dries.

In most cases you "sculpture" the jin by tearing the fibres of the wood,
and this is only possible when the wood is still fresh.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Tiziano

Hi Iim
Jim Lewis wrote:

juniper a very narrow layer of vaseline (petroleum jelly) over the cut
edge won't hurt. It will keep the edge of the bark from drying and
peeling back and will last just long enough for the healing process to
work.

Than ks for the tip it is very interesting ..
I wanted to know before starting as it is teh good season ..
another thing
I just checked the plstic container and is a can of roots
alive nice thin .. but almost no soil left .

I tried to scratch some soil on the surface around the
trunk to see how was the neabary under the surface no way
it is a network of fine roots.. I was planning to repot next
year
I d not want disturbs roots right now.. and probaly will
switch in a bigger pot for the next monts until spring ,but
... in spring I should trim all roots and put for a while
in a flat wooden box...
I am always upset with needle trees ,any tip ?

Thanks again

Old 08-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Tiziano

HI Henrik
Henrik Gistvall wrote:

If you are carving with anything other than a knife, it's
always better to wait until the wood dries.

so if I do it next week will have 2 warm months ahead (
probably they already said we will have a rotten summer in
Europe

In most cases you "sculpture" the jin by tearing the fibres of the wood,
and this is only possible when the wood is still fresh.

of
with knife soon after and if already dried with tools
Thanks
Tiziano

Jin Tiziano Bonsai 4 01-06-2005 06:46 AM
[IBC] Jin [email protected] Bonsai 1 06-05-2005 06:13 PM
[IBC] Ficus with Jin Steven Wachs Bonsai 3 06-05-2005 02:19 PM
Ficus with Jin Tiziano Bonsai 3 04-05-2005 07:04 PM
[IBC] Juniper Jin and Shari Hung Le Bonsai 2 25-05-2003 02:08 PM