Old 18-05-2005, 04:18 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Online source for seedlings that you trust?

It would not be a bad idea to start with local trees
from a local nursery. They have the best chance of
survival for a beginner. With the international
aspects of bonsai, there are few plants that have not
been used. It is just a nmatter of choosing a trunk
size that is in scale with the leaf size.

If you get non-native plants you need to determine
what conditions are required for that plant to grow in
your area and see if it is within you means to help
that plant survive.

Kits

--- Beau
wrote:
I don't have any decent nurseries where I live
(Mobile Al. Zone 9)
that can provide good material for the less common
trees. I'm hoping
for some unbiased opinions on mail order/online
nurseries that have
treated you well.
Beau
Mobile Z9

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue
Crabtree++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 18-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Steve wachs

I found a few sources of nursery stuff through Ebay. If you do a search on
Ebay for seedlings you will get huge lists of material being sold. I have
found a few I find to be a good source based on the material I received. I hove a
list of the dealers that I determined to be reliable. You can even narrow
search down to specific plants.

SteveW

Old 19-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Beau

Thanks for replying. I've gotten most of what I have from the local
sources. They don't provide much more than extremely popular
(therefore easily saleable) landscape items. I'm just trying to
locate, for instance, a place with a good variety of maples in any
stage of development.
Beau

wrote:
I don't have any decent nurseries where I live
(Mobile Al. Zone 9)
that can provide good material for the less common
trees. I'm hoping
for some unbiased opinions on mail order/online
nurseries that have
treated you well.
Beau
Mobile Z9

************************************************* *******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue
Crabtree++++

************************************************* *******************************

Old 19-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Jim Lewis

Beau wrote:
Thanks for replying. I've gotten most of what I have from the local
sources. They don't provide much more than extremely popular
(therefore easily saleable) landscape items. I'm just trying to
locate, for instance, a place with a good variety of maples in any
stage of development.
Beau

WWW.MOUNTAINMAPLES.COM is the best source I know of for
maples. Your major problem is that Zone 9 is pretty warm
for almost all maples. A. palmatum will NOT thrive in those
climates -- at least not in pots.

The trident maple probably will do OK, but no better than that.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 19-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Kitsune Miko

I am in zone 9 and maples do fine here in CAlifornia.

Kits
--- Jim Lewis wrote:
Beau wrote:
Thanks for replying. I've gotten most of what I

have from the local
sources. They don't provide much more than

extremely popular
(therefore easily saleable) landscape items. I'm

just trying to
locate, for instance, a place with a good variety

of maples in any
stage of development.
Beau

WWW.MOUNTAINMAPLES.COM is the best source I know of
for
maples. Your major problem is that Zone 9 is pretty
warm
for almost all maples. A. palmatum will NOT thrive
in those
climates -- at least not in pots.

The trident maple probably will do OK, but no better
than that.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -
Nature
encourages no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph
Waldo Emerson

Old 19-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Steve wachs

I have never seen any nurseries ok LI sell Japanese maole seedlings or young grafts. They only sell landscape trees obviously. Last fall got lucky at one nursery that was selling A.P.Shishgashira (Lion head), for $25 bucks. They had 2 which I took. but that is rare
I have found 2 or 3 reliable sources on Ebay. I have about 50 Japanese Maples.

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 19-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Kitsune Miko

Frank Byles sells young grafts that are not landscape
size. That is why I am waiting for my Beni Hime.

I have about 25 bonsaied maples including groves. I
have one kotohime grove under two inches in height.

I have excess kotohime rooted cuttings if anyone wants
to trade. Write me off line.

Kits

Old 19-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Jim Lewis

Kitsune Miko wrote:
I am in zone 9 and maples do fine here in CAlifornia.

Kits

I guess that's the advantage of hot and dry over hot and
humid. Japanese Maples struggle here in zone 8. Mobile,
Alabama is even more humid, if that's possible.