Old 19-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Was seedlings, now new maple source

Try www.mapletrees.net in Oregon. I just got a relly
nice goshiki kotohime from Frank Byles.

After checking the local nurseries her in Sf Bay area
zone 9, I found Frank's pricing more than reasonable.

You can call him at 360-352-4725, but you must order
on line. We had a really good chat. I found him on
line only because Brent didn't list having a beni hime
maple, which I really want. (Frank has some grafts
that are not quite ready to ship and I will get my
Beni hime when it is ready)

He has lots of different acer palmatiums and other
maples. Remember though that the most standard maples
make the quickest bonsai. The red ones and the thread
leafed are too slow to develop to my tastes.

Kits
--- Beau
wrote:
Thanks for replying. I've gotten most of what I have
from the local
sources. They don't provide much more than extremely
popular
(therefore easily saleable) landscape items. I'm
just trying to
locate, for instance, a place with a good variety of
maples in any
stage of development.
Beau

On 18 May 2005 08:18:15 -0700,
(Kitsune Miko) wrote:

It would not be a bad idea to start with local

trees
from a local nursery. They have the best chance of
survival for a beginner. With the international
aspects of bonsai, there are few plants that have

not
been used. It is just a nmatter of choosing a

trunk
size that is in scale with the leaf size.

If you get non-native plants you need to determine
what conditions are required for that plant to grow

in
your area and see if it is within you means to help
that plant survive.

Kits

--- Beau
wrote:
I don't have any decent nurseries where I live
(Mobile Al. Zone 9)
that can provide good material for the less

common
trees. I'm hoping
for some unbiased opinions on mail order/online
nurseries that have
treated you well.
Beau
Mobile Z9

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Online source for seedlings that you trust? Kitsune Miko Bonsai 8 19-05-2005 11:31 PM
Online source for seedlings that you trust? Beau Bonsai 8 19-05-2005 06:12 PM
Acer (Japanese Maple) source of seedlings ? SteveC United Kingdom 4 10-05-2005 04:10 PM
[IBC] Maple seedlings Dan Voicu Bonsai 4 27-06-2004 07:02 AM
Source for Cherokee Purple Tomato Seedlings? JMatt Gardening 2 21-04-2004 03:02 AM