Old 07-06-2005, 02:21 AM
Steve wachs

aNOTHER COMMON NAME OF THIS TREE IS THE BOULEVARD CYPRESS I i DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING TO DRIVE OVER IT

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 07-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Steven Wachs

you should be able to take the tree back, being they mislead you. It seems
to be a common practice with these mall dealers to give wrong information.
There is a distributor on long island that has a long history of distributing
this poor material to malls all over.
Stay away from Conifers. They make poor indoor trees. Serissa and Ficus
make good varieties of indoor trees. There are a few others
Some nurseries sell bonsai , but I have noticed they also sell suspect
trees as well sometimes. If you can't find good Bonsai in your area then maybe
you can look on line. I have seen some interesting stuff on Ebay. You have to
be careful just like anywhere else. But you can find nice stuff on line.
Don't be afraid to ask questions to dealers via email before you buy. many are
legitimate and want to earn your business
Steve Wachs

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-06-2005, 01:47 PM
chris

Well some good news, the brown leaves were not brittle ... I think by
tonight it will be dry enough to check the roots ...

So should I remove the moss? or just leave it? the moss hadn't been
growing until I started fertilizing.

The plant only cost me $20, I don't want to return it, I want to try
and save it ... plsu the I don't think the bonsai cart is there any
more ... even if I could return they'd likely just trash it ... it's
not a matter of money, as corny as it sounds I want to save the tree

Old 07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jun 7, 2005, at 8:47 AM, chris wrote:

Well some good news, the brown leaves were not brittle ... I think by
tonight it will be dry enough to check the roots ...

So should I remove the moss? or just leave it? the moss hadn't been
growing until I started fertilizing.

The plant only cost me $20, I don't want to return it, I want to try
and save it ... plsu the I don't think the bonsai cart is there any
more ... even if I could return they'd likely just trash it ... it's
not a matter of money, as corny as it sounds I want to save the tree

If it were me I 'd try returning it. Don't let the SOB get away with
selling garbage!

Craig Cowing

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 07-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Nina

One of the great experiences of my life was learning bryology from Dr.
Howard Crum of the University of Michigan. One day when our class was
in the field with him, I somehow broke his glasses. You'd think that
would end the field trip, but Dr. Crum knew mosses so well that he
could tell one species from another just from the color and where it
was growing.

Which is a long way of saying: there are thousands of species of
mosses, and they have different moisture requirements. Some grow in
very dry, hot environments (on rocks or tree trunks) and others need
quite soggy habitats (some only grow in streams). There are only two
mosses commonly seen in bonsai pots (unless someone introduces one
intentionally): Bryum argentium, the "sidewalk moss" and Funaria
hygrometrica. Both of these favor dryish (for a moss) disturbed
environments; Funaria is one of the first mosses to come back after a
forest fire. But dryish for Funaria may be too wet for a conifer.
Bryum can be identified by its silvery-grey color; it gets its common
name because it likes to grow in sidewalk cracks (and on roofs). I
don't worry about over-wetness when I see either of these in my outdoor
pots (I would if they were in my indoor pots); I worry that they impede
drainage; instead of roots they have fine filaments that clog up soil
pores. I always pull out most of a moss colony, and leave a few
clumps.

Nina.

Can I tell another Dr. Crum story? Once he was driving and saw what
looked like interesting lichens on a tree in someone's yard. So he
pulled over, pulled out his hand-lens, and began to examine the lichen
at eye-level. A passing car slowed, then the driver yelled "IT'S A
TREE!"

Old 07-06-2005, 06:01 PM
chris

That is pretty funny actually ...
The moss is green, looks like regular moss to me, I'll pull it out.

Another question, should I trim any of the dead leaves off?
Anytime you see a bonsai on TV someone is always trimming it ...