Old 29-04-2003, 08:44 AM
TheScullster

Default Rejuvenate Soil After Cyprus Firs

In answer to a previous post, I was told that Lawson Cyprus firs strip all
nourishment from soil and turn it acid.
What is the recommended treatment to return this waste land into a suitable
border for hedge planting?
Is there an alternative to well rotted manure? I have asked around and am
struggling to find a source (only fresh stuff available).
Should I be adding something to counteract the acidity?
We want to plant the border soon after removal of the firs so leaving the
ground fallow is not really an option.
Into the border I hope to plant pyracantha, escallonia, laurel, holly etc.

TIA

Phil

Old 29-04-2003, 06:56 PM
bnd777

Well when we removed just 8 firs just 10 yrs old from 50 ft of soil we piled
in 3 huge bin fulls of compost (4 palletts nailed into a square for each
bin )
and then a year later piled on another bin
Much really depends on soil type and what you have to put back into the soil
Are there any horse people near you with well rotted piles of muck you could
dig in deep ( where do you live I know of several Equestrians scattered
about who will be happy to help )
or will neighbours donate loads of grass cuttings

Old 01-05-2003, 04:56 PM
TheScullster

Thanks for your help Mr bnd777

Phil