Old 03-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Sue Marsh

Default [IBC] Ginko ?

anybody ever raised this from seeds? I planted 7 seeds a week ago and not
one has decided to show its head yet! Am hoping they just have a long
germination. Any hints/tips/advice on this species? Thanks!

Susan L. Marsh
www.susanszoocrew.com

http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/o...ave/direct/01/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Robert Kieffer

Sue Marsh wrote:

anybody ever raised this from seeds? I planted 7 seeds a week ago and
not one has decided to show its head yet! Am hoping they just have a
long germination. Any hints/tips/advice on this species? Thanks!

Susan L. Marsh
www.susanszoocrew.com

I started 5 seeds in the spring, and 3 germinated and grew. I generally
followed the procedures outlines in the following website:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten/

which is a good ginkgo reference in general.

After leaving the seeds outside during the winter (zone 6) I brought
them in and cleaned them with a weak bleach solution and then scoured
the shells to allow water to permeate more easily. I then put them in a
ziplock type bag with a small piece of papertowel. I left them in a
dark place and checked them daily. I think it was about 2-3 weeks until
the meristem was big enough that I put them in a pot.

It may be that you can do them in dirt, I did not try that.

But as far as you are, a week is still a pretty short time. I wouldn't
worry.

I think that sticking them in pots initially maybe decreases the
openness of the branch conformation relative to a few that were growing
wild that I found. However, concurrently, I think that maybe it retards
the growth of the trunk, which may be a bad thing.

Robert the Bearded.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Steve wachs

GINGKOS ARE EASY. JUST HANG IN THERE. THEY ARE COMING

SteveW
Long Island NY

anybody ever raised this from seeds? I planted 7 seeds a week ago and not one has decided to show its head yet! Am hoping they just have a long germination. Any hints/tips/advice on this species? Thanks!

Susan L. Marsh
www.susanszoocrew.com

Don?t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/o...ave/direct/01/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Bill Neff

Hi Susan!

Give them a few more weeks. I gathered over 300 seeds last fall, gave over
a hundred of them away to members of my bonsai club and planted the rest.
Last fall I cleaned them (yuck forgot to use rubber gloves) and kept them in
the garage over the winter. This spring I planted the remaining 200. I scored
the shells on about a third of them and just left the others alone. There
was no difference in germination between the scored and unscored seeds as
nearly every seed sprouted. I still have one big flat I need to repot. Give
them a few more weeks. It seemed it took about a month or so before mine broke
the soil surface.

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Sue Marsh

Thanks Bill and all else for the reassurance........I'll stop giving the
pots dirty looks now LOL! I'm so used to seeds here in Florida sprouting
quickly (sometimes within hours) that these slowpokes had me worried. I'll
leave them under the patio table a few more weeks before I go poking around
in their dirt

Found out a pine seedling I had given up on managed to survive.... got it
before my goat did! Little guy, only about 7 inches tall, long ways away
from being bonsai... but nice that it survived!

Susan L. Marsh

Happy 4th to those here in the states!

From: Bill Neff

Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:10:48 EDT