Old 04-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Hex and Oct pot question

Sorry about the blank.

Are hexagonal and octagonal pots treated as round pots or oval pots? If we
treat them as round pots we put the tree in the center. If we treat them as
oval pots we put the tree off center to the right or left.
I just potted up a Bucera spinosa (Bahamian Black Olive) in a hex pot and
treated it as oval.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Alan Walker

Billy: Your instincts were good, even if your information was
not. It is not a good plan ever to plant in the center of a pot,
even a round one. It may be a bit more forgivable in a round pot,
but asymmetric balance looks more natural.
Alan Walker

Old 04-07-2005, 10:27 PM
William Valavanis

Bonsai containers are generally classified as symmetrical or equal
sided (round, square, hexagonal and octagonal) and asymmetrical
(rectangular and oval).

In classical bonsai generally the center of the trunk is positioned in
the center of equal sided containers for perfect symmetry and to
provide or emphasize trunk line movement. The center of the trunk is
generally positioned off center (sometimes 1/3 from one end) in
asymmetrical containers to emphasize branches and present a more
asymmetrical feeling. However, the conditions of the roots may dictate
other planting positions...

Hope this helps, but personal opinion is important too.
Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Anil Kaushik

Also, round, square, hexagonal and octagonal containers are deeper than the
oval and rectangular ones. In my opinion only those styles which do not fit
in the oval and rectangular containers, should go in the symmetrical pots
such as cascades and semi-cascades. And as for the placement in center is
concerned, in most cases they look good if center of the trunk is placed in
the centre. However the design elements may necessitate placing it slightly
off center. One can not confine art to man made rules.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

Bonsai containers are generally classified as symmetrical or equal
sided () and asymmetrical
(rectangular and oval).

In classical bonsai generally the center of the trunk is positioned in
the center of equal sided containers for perfect symmetry and to
provide or emphasize trunk line movement. The center of the trunk is
generally positioned off center (sometimes 1/3 from one end) in
asymmetrical containers to emphasize branches and present a more
asymmetrical feeling. However, the conditions of the roots may dictate
other planting positions...

Hope this helps, but personal opinion is important too.
Bill

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
Sorry about the blank.

Are hexagonal and octagonal pots treated as round pots or oval pots? If we
treat them as round pots we put the tree in the center. If we treat them as
oval pots we put the tree off center to the right or left.
I just potted up a Bucera spinosa (Bahamian Black Olive) in a hex pot and
treated it as oval.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Simple.

By the book: If the hex or oct is longer in one direction
than in any of the others, treat as an oval. If all sides
are equal, treat as round.

In actuality, treat however the tree looks best.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 09-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Don Walker

Would the position of the apex in relation to the pot be a concern? How
significant is the style of the tree?

Thanks,
Don Walker
Just north of Austin