Old 12-07-2005, 07:51 PM
bob campbell

Default Healing wounded bark on a Japanese Maple

Greetings:

Anyone care to share tips?

I'm guessing it was from a wiring scar. I tried leaving it alone and it got
bigger. I tried some Minwax since the heartwood was exposed to help the tree
while it healed, it got bigger. I now have the edges coated with vaseline to
avoid the cambium from drying out and it seems ok.

Is there anything else I can do ( or maybe NOT do?).

Many thanls for all the tips over the years,
bob campbell
zone 7 - nor-Cal between the bay and the hills

Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Michael Persiano

Bob:

If the grooves are deep, shave the raised edges to the point where they are flush with the branch, fill the groove with cut PASTE, and then cover the entire wound with cut PUTTY. Allow the putty to be enveloped by new bark. Maintaining a Superfeeding schedule this year will accelerate the healing process.

This technique should eliminate the wound. If not, look for a suitable bud to develop a new branch, or graft a branch in the vicinity.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/Pinebook.html

I'm guessing it was from a wiring scar. I tried leaving it alone and it got
bigger. I tried some Minwax since the heartwood was exposed to help the tree
while it healed, it got bigger. I now have the edges coated with vaseline to
avoid the cambium from drying out and it seems ok.

Is there anything else I can do ( or maybe NOT do?).

Many thanls for all the tips over the years,
bob campbell
zone 7 - nor-Cal between the bay and the hills

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 12-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Steve wachs

I use any wax that is soft and pliable. weather proof , johnny gasket wax. my reason i use the wax is that it allows the area to expand without losing the seal

SteveW
Long Island NY

Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 PM
bob campbell

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:51:43 -0700, bob campbell
wrote:

Greetings:

Anyone care to share tips?

I'm guessing it was from a wiring scar. I tried leaving it alone and it got
bigger. I tried some Minwax since the heartwood was exposed to help the tree
while it healed, it got bigger. I now have the edges coated with vaseline to
avoid the cambium from drying out and it seems ok.

Is there anything else I can do ( or maybe NOT do?).

Many thanls for all the tips over the years,
bob campbell
zone 7 - nor-Cal between the bay and the hills

oops - I'd better add that this is year 4 of the problem
year 1 - noticed & did nothing to a 2" tear
year 2 - removed loose bark - it appeared to be trapping moisture
year 3 - applied Minwax to the 3"x 1/2" wound
year 4 - applied vaseline (should I remove it?) to the 3 /12 " x 3/4 " wound

luckily it's on the back side of the tree, unluckily this is the lefthand
main branch. the tree design is sort of a asymetrical 'y'

thank you's to everyone who has already replied

bob
Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Marty Haber

The best way to help an Acer p. recover from scars is to keep it healthy.
The healthier the tree, the faster it grows. The faster it grows the faster
it heals. I had to remove two large branches from one of my maples ( large
ones). The first growing season after the cuts, scabs formed all around the
wounds. In 3 years thereafter, the scabs completely covered the wounds, and
today, the only sign of the damage is a thin line where the scabs met in
the center of the wounds. These trees are very resilient if given
sufficient sun, nutrients and water.
Marty Haber

Old 14-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Tom Crosswell

Michael,

Could you explain your Superfeeding schedule? Interested to know how
often and how much people feed their tree's

Thanks,
Tom

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 14-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Michael Persiano

Tom:

The term Superfeeding can be misleading in that this is a highly regulated program to advance immature materials into a mature bonsai design. It is not about growth for the sake of growth. The majority of my maturity trees are now receiving minimized feedings to maintain their ideal design.

It is difficult to explain the schedule in an email, and a chart certainly helps the interested practitioner. In the interim, this should help: http://members.aol.com/iasnob/superfeeding.html

The details of Superfeeding have been published many times over the years, and are also included in the Pine Book. With that said, I will see if I can get a schedule up on my Web site for those who do not receive Bonsai Today or Bonsai Europe.
With this said, what the practitioner does with the new growth is ultimately based on one's mastery of design strategy and the execution of techniques.

[...]

Snake bark maple - dead bark kay United Kingdom 8 24-05-2010 09:32 AM
[IBC] Healing wounded bark on a Japanese Maple Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 13-07-2005 07:01 AM
Healing Cruise Sandy Mosher ~ EWN Convention Plant Biology 0 27-05-2004 05:20 PM
"Healing gardening" Mike Gardening 3 06-08-2003 05:02 PM
Just bought a wounded Koi Theo van Daele Ponds 9 13-05-2003 03:44 PM