Old 09-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Theo van Daele

Default Just bought a wounded Koi

And before you go "you dork, you should have watched it more carefully", ...
I knew he/she was damaged.

One of the "chest fins" (oh oh, there goes my reputation of actually knowing
anything about these critters) has been torn off.

Not a good picture, but it gives you an idea:

http://www.wide-o.net/various/wounded.jpg

I got the fish for 30 % of the normal price, after the salesguy refused to
sell it to me. I asked him if the fin would grow back and he replied
"yeah, but probably not for the 100 %". So I still bought it, coz I liked
it.

Now I know regeneration is quite amazing... the fish swims happily, fast,
straight, it has really nice colors etc...

Did I make a mistake, or will the fin indeed grow back more or less ?

BTW, these other ones don't seem to be damaged ;-)

http://www.wide-o.net/various/close.jpg

Yeah, should clean my nails !

Theo

Old 09-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Lee Brouillet

Theo! I don't know if the PECTORAL fin will grow back or not. If the fish
has adjusted to its loss (and from your description, it has!), then it will
do just fine (and you've adopted a "special needs" fishie!). I have a
3-legged dog, you can have a 1 finned fish! And if the fin does grow back,
it's a bonus (unfortunately, Katie's leg won't do that . . .). The second
photo is pretty cool! You must be very adept at taking photos one-handed!

Lee

Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Sam Hopkins

If it's been completely ripped off meaning there's not even a nub there then
it wont grow back. If there's a nub that can be moved it'll grow back.

Sam

Old 10-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Theo van Daele

Alrighty, PECTORAL fin it is Angina Pectoris... language eh.

Yeah, I'm a softy. Liked the fish so bought it :blush: It's already taking
part in the feeding frenzy, after being 6 hours in the pond !

One handed, photos... erm, let's not go there, I might get thrown off this
newsgroup ;-)

Sam, there certainly is a "nub", it's moving etc, so it might just grow back
?

The longer I observe these animals, the more respect I have for them. In
fact, for most animals.

A 3-legged dog sounds cool to me :-)

Theo

"Lee Brouillet" schreef in bericht

Old 11-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Denise

Theo, enjoyed your pics and your sense of humor :-)

Denise

Tour my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 11-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Theo van Daele

Thanks, appreciated :-)

Theo, enjoyed your pics and your sense of humor :-)

Old 12-05-2003, 05:56 PM
~ jan

Theo,

The picture looks like it's just a bite out of the fin, if the main frontal
ray/bone is still there, undamaged, the whole fin should recover.... what I
can tell from the picture, if I'm seeing what I'm seeing..... I bet within
1 or 2 years all is fine. So you got a good deal. ~ jan

PS If one ever has a pretty fish with a whole fin missing don't point it
out. I went to a meeting and the prettiest fish we all ooh and aah over had
a pectoral fin totally gone, none of us even noticed till the owner pointed
it out.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 12-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Theo van Daele

Thanks Jan,

I'll take a better pic in the next few days, but the "main structure" indeed
seems to be intact.

I normally am very weary of sales weasels, but he did point out (after he
thought I didn't want to buy the fish) that the fin was already growing, but
it was still "transparant" and it might take a few years before it would get
it's normal color.

That said, it wasn't much about the money ... just liked the little guy :-)

And yes, I can totally relate to your ooh/aahh comment.

In the mean time, he/she is very active in the feeding frenzy. So I guess
it's gonna be just fine Sue Ellen ;-)

Theo

"~ jan" schreef in bericht

Old 13-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Lee Brouillet

Katie was about 3-4 weeks old when some a**hole went driving through rush
hour traffic, throwing puppies out the driver's side window INTO on-coming
traffic. She was the only survivor, and suffered radial nerve paralysis from
getting hit by a car. Her lower jaw is also about an inch smaller than her
upper jaw, due to damage from getting hit and/or tossed. We spent several
thousand $$ trying to save her leg because she touched us so much, but in
the end had to have her left front leg amputated for her own sake. She's 9
years old now, and a very pampered and spoiled pooch!

Your fish sounds like she'll be OK. With a nub, the fin will grow back; it
may be stunted, but she'll adjust.

Old 13-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Theo van Daele

Used to get raving mad when I read stories like yours, but fortunately
learned (slowly) to see the good side of it :-)

Just can't understand people who do those things, never will I suppose.

Several thousands, yeah, I can relate to that. Had a cat once that
(without us knowing) had cat's desease before we got her ...

She lived happily for 5 years, and yes, we paid big bucks for her pet bills
as well...

Worth every penny though !

http://tvd.telenet.be/cats.htm for a pic.

Page is a bit out of date, one more cat died (Brutus), but 2 new ones
arrived. They *love* the pond, yet never seem to try to catch the fish.

Spoiled pooch, I bet LOL :-)