Old 19-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default Fertiliser For Container Veggies

Hi Everybody,

It is almost springtime on this half of the world. Yay!

My vegetables are in containers - mostly 10-litre (2.5
gal) buckets. The tomatoes go in buckets twice that
size.

Most of my potting soil has already been through two
years of use, so I figure that the original "slow-
release fertiliser" has exhausted.

So... How much fertiliser should I use, for a wide
variety of vegetables - broccoli, capsicum/bell-
peppers, courgettes/zucchini, strawberries, plus
lettuce and spinach? I am a bit concerned about over-
fertilising, with lots of foliage, but less fruits.

My main source is pelletised sheep manure and blood-
bone meal.

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 20-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Dwayne

I would sprinkle some 10 - 10 - 10 very lightly around the area and no
closer than 6 inches from the plant. Other wise I would get some miracle
gro and mix it in the water per instructions, and apply it while watering.

Dwayne

Old 02-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Bruce & Lois Nelson

I think you should have a good look at the package. Most manufacturers have
dose instructions for both ground and container planting. Strength varies
with manufacturers. Also see if the manufacturer has a web site.

Failing that I would use a handful each of pellets & of meal in 2 quarts of
soil. My open hand is about 4" x 7". I just reach in and grab what I can.

Bruce

Stunted veggies FerdyPooh Gardening 1 30-05-2003 03:08 AM
What fertilizer for yellow leaves on veggies??????? Help Fast Please Kathy Gardening 0 30-04-2003 04:56 PM
new to veggies shannie United Kingdom 13 13-03-2003 01:00 AM
new to veggies shannie United Kingdom 1 12-03-2003 12:23 AM
amusing veggies Don Engdahl Gardening 3 04-02-2003 01:23 AM