Old 12-09-2005, 09:35 PM
BRD BRD is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope Periwinkle
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:39:29 +0000, BRD
wrote:
snipped, as is right and polite

No, you misread that part. I didn't say this was about third world
countries, it's about the civilized countries that are deficient.

So, specifically name the third world country that has a higher
life expectancy than any in the first world. And no airy hand
waving, quote recent and reliable sources.

And, you can't, because life expectancy in the first world is
much higher than in third world countries. There are no nutrient
deficiencies in crops grown in this country. You can make a case
for the danger of pesticide residues, and feel free to shriek
hysterically about GMO's; but a plant that is deficient in
nutrients will be stunted, not unhealthy for a person to eat.

There are enough nutrients in the soil for the FOOD to grow, and to
look pretty and healthy, but there aren't enough nutrients to fulfill a
daily value for human consumption.

I'm gobsmacked at the sheer stupidity of this statement. No, one
fruit or one vegetable will not give you all the vitamins and
minerals that a person needs, nor will they supply the calories,
protein, fats, or carbohydrates. But, then, they never would, not
back in the "Good Old Days", and not in third world countries
today. Humans and a lot of non-human primates are omnivores, they
consume a wide variety of fruits, seeds, vegetables, and other
animals, fish, and insects to get all the nutrients and calories
they require. Have you never heard the old saw about a healthy
diet being a colorful one? Vegetarians and vegans thrive on crops
grown in the US, too.

And the reason why there isn't a more recent study to quote, is because
the US Government knew what was going on in the 30's, but chose to keep
it that way. After all, if we're all sick, we're spending money to buy
drugs to get us well.

They don't want us to get well. The sicker we are, the more drugs we
buy, the richer the FDA and drug companies become.

Who's sick? What ailments are you speaking of? I'm as healthy as
a horse, and I don't even come close to growing my own food. My
garden is a hobby, mostly peppers, tomatoes, and herbs.

Please point me to the organization that has tested fruits and
vegetables grown under intensive farming conditions, and that can
supply me nutritional facts about each fruit and vegetable
they've tested, and where each fruit and vegetable is considered
deficient. None of this paranoid "the government is hushing it
up" nonsense, either. There are lots and lots of private
organizations that would love to be able to prove that modern
farming methods are detrimental to our health.

I expect that there are differences in the nutritional values of
organic produce verses non-organic; but they're not significant
enough to effect the health of individuals.

But, I didn't come here to discuss this fun stuff Just looking for
some tips and tricks.

To survive the lobotomy you've clearly had? I don't think there's
much hope for you.

I am a firm believer, btw, in the benefits of organic gardening,
but the kind of stupidity that you're spouting damages the
credibility of those of us who try and promote organic gardening
methods to those around us.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Okey dokey, artichoke. Seems like one of us needs to take a little nap!

Maybe *you* should ask the Wizard for a heart, or some rage counseling?

Again, didn't come here to start a war, or ruffle your feathers Peen-A-Lope, and I do believe in organic gardening, just not the kind provided in Supermarkets. So, this in no way affects the credibility of you or 'those around you', because I'm trying to get information on home gardening, which is what this site is about I take it?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:40 PM
BRD BRD is offline
Registered User

Oh, but since you wanted to read something, I'll repeat it again, and give you a link.

http://colon-cleansing.info/senatedoc264.htm

Or just do a Google search for Senate Document 264. You'll come up with a lot of interesting things to read, and maybe you can direct your uncalled for rage at them.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:52 PM
BRD BRD is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRD
Oh, but since you wanted to read something, I'll repeat it again, and give you a link.

http://colon-cleansing.info/senatedoc264.htm

Or just do a Google search for Senate Document 264. You'll come up with a lot of interesting things to read, and maybe you can direct your uncalled for rage at them.
And before you post again, please be sure to at least read that *one* article before outright refusing any possible information that is contrary to what you believe.

And if you put int Senate Document 264 in Google, you'll find information on Peoples that are Healthier, live longer, and have none of the 'common' diseases that we do, I.E. Diabetes, Angina, Cancer, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, depression...and the list goes on.
Old 13-09-2005, 03:43 PM
The Old Timer.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:52:05 +0000, BRD
wrote:

BRD Wrote:
Oh, but since you wanted to read something, I'll repeat it again, and
give you a link.

http://tinyurl.com/96tus

Isn't it great that you would quote such an up to date document
(1936). especially excerpts posted by a liquid vitamin company, to
scare people into buying their product..

Did you ever wonder why the Senate would be discussing something this
trivial, when faced with the greatest depression of modern times.

Go here to find out: http://www.usd.edu/anth/epa/dust.html

You are right (at that time) but not now.

Hey, we learn a lots with open discussion, don't we! The Old Timer.

Old 13-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

I am combining the 3 posts BRD made into one. Poor fellow, I skeered
him so bad it took him three tries to answer me.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:35:34 +0000, BRD
wrote:
Penelope Periwinkle Wrote:
BRD wrote:
snipped, as is right and polite-

more snippage
"ElissaAnn"

Okey dokey, artichoke. Seems like one of us needs to take a little
nap!

Seems like you've been napping, or is your brain dysfunctional from
the snake oil you've been consuming?

Maybe *you* should ask the Wizard for a heart, or some rage
counseling?

Must be the mineral deficiencies in my vegetables. Oh, wait, I eat
organic vegetables grown on organic soils. Oh, wait again, you reject
the notion that certified organic vegetables are truly organic. Prolly
part of that government conspiracy, huh? Of course, you haven't
offered any criteria on what constitutes an organic vegetable, either,
but let's not confuse the issue with facts, eh?

Again, didn't come here to start a war, or ruffle your feathers
Peen-A-Lope, and I do believe in organic gardening, just not the kind
provided in Supermarkets. So, this in no way affects the credibility of
you or 'those around you', because I'm trying to get information on home
gardening, which is what this site is about I take it?

If you had come here just for advice, that's what you would have asked
about; however, you devoted well over a hundred lines to your
fraudulent claims about depleted soils and government cover-ups. And,
yes, your faux science does damage the credibility of people with real
science who are trying to coax others into trying a few organic
solutions to gardening problems.

Or just do a Google search for Senate Document 264. You'll come up with
a lot of interesting things to read, and maybe you can direct your
uncalled for rage at them.

Funny how every single site that comes up in a Google search on
"Senate Document 264" is a commercial site, and each and everyone has
the "cure" for the "problem". Not one site that isn't trying to sell
you something. Of even more interest are the sites that come up when
you google on Senate Document 264 and "debunk" or "quackary".

But I wanted to have some information that carried a little weight, so
I started at James Randi's site, and followed links to the National
Council Against Health Fraud, a not-for-profit organization.
http://www.ncahf.org/. Searching their web site turned up this
little tidbit: http://www.ncahf.org/nl/1998/1-2.html Scroll a little
past half way down the page and you'll find this under "DEAD DOCTORS"
DOESN'T DIE

"The most recent contribution to the body of counter information is
offered by Donald Davis, PhD, of the University of Texas at Austin.
Davis located "Senate Document 264" cited by Wallach as evidence that
99% of Americans are deficient in minerals. It turns out that the
"document" is nothing more than the reprinting of a highly speculative
article about a passing fad written by a Florida farmer in the June,
1936, issue of Cosmopolitan magazine as requested by Florida's Senator
Fletcher. Fletcher died 16 days after requesting that the government
printing office reprint the article."

Did ya get that? The famous Senate Document 264 is a reprint of an
article from Cosmopolitan.

Your research on "nutrient deficiencies among the 'civilized' areas of
the world." is based on a 1936 article from Cosmo magazine!

Of course, the nice thing about believing in government conspiracies
is that you can squeal "but..but that's what the government and the
eeeeevil pharmaceutical companies *want* you to believe!"

May I offer you your own advice?

"And before you post again, please be sure to at least read that *one*
article before outright refusing any possible information that is
contrary to what you believe. "

And if you put int Senate Document 264 in Google, you'll find
information on Peoples that are Healthier, live longer, and have none
of the 'common' diseases that we do, I.E. Diabetes, Angina, Cancer,
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, depression...and the list goes on.

I'm assuming you're referring to Type II diabetes? It's not caused by
deficiencies, but by excesses. A high fat, low fiber diet with lots of
simple carbohydrates (as opposed to complex) with little exercise
predisposes an individual to Type II Diabetes. So, while you might see
less Type II Diabetes in a third world country, it has very little to
do with the soil in which they grow their crops.

Angina? Angina is a symptom of coronary artery disease, the most
common type of heart disease. Coronary Artery Disease occurs when
plaque builds up in the coronary arteries.Once again, angina is most
often a symptom of excess, not deficiency.

There are multiple causes of cancer, just as there are multiple types
of cancer, so that's a little vague to tackle in a Usenet post;
besides the fact that cancer does happen to people in third world
countries. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is caused by a virus, not
nutritional deficiencies. And depression is another condition with
multiple causes, and also occurs in third world countries.

So, your disease theory is full of holes, too.

Penelope, off to rage at a man about a cricket.

Old 14-09-2005, 06:23 PM
BRD BRD is offline
Registered User

Here you go Penalope:

http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.p...9a680/463c5922

This isn't going anywhere, and I found out what I needed to know somewhere else anyways.

So, you're all correct, and I'm 100% wrong. Now let me go virtually hang my head in shame! Lip trembles, wipes away tear
Old 14-09-2005, 06:25 PM
BRD BRD is offline
Registered User

Oh, and on a final note, I have to post multiple times to get one message across, because this horribly weak site doesn't support Avatars or the ability to edit your previous posts.
Old 15-09-2005, 02:06 AM
LJ

I think it's really too bad that you had to get NASTY.

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message
I am combining the 3 posts BRD made into one. Poor fellow, I skeered
him so bad it took him three tries to answer me.

Do you feel REALLY SUPERIOR now?

Old 15-09-2005, 02:08 AM
LJ

I would like to know where you found your info, please.

"BRD" wrote in message

Here you go Penalope:

http://tinyurl.com/56hv

--
BRD

Old 15-09-2005, 02:55 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 01:06:22 GMT, "LJ" wrote:

I think it's really too bad that you had to get NASTY.

Is your shift key broken?

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message

I am combining the 3 posts BRD made into one. Poor fellow, I skeered
him so bad it took him three tries to answer me.

Do you feel REALLY SUPERIOR now?

I felt REALLY SUPERIOR before I even started this post.

I felt sorta wryly amused when I wrote that line.

When I got to the bit about the infamous Senate Document 264
being a reprint of an article from Cosmo, well I'm afraid I
cackled gleefully.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 15-09-2005, 02:59 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:23:26 +0000, BRD
wrote:

Here you go Penalope:

http://tinyurl.com/56hv

And you call me nasty?

Do you dump people out of their wheel chairs and snatch oxygen
masks off of emphysema patients for a little light entertainment?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 15-09-2005, 09:33 AM
LJ

BRD said, "This isn't going anywhere, and I found out what I needed to know
somewhere else anyways."

I simply asked, nicely, I thought, where he/she found the wanted info. How
is that "nasty"?

wrote:

Here you go Penalope:

http://tinyurl.com/56hv

And you call me nasty?

Do you dump people out of their wheel chairs and snatch oxygen
masks off of emphysema patients for a little light entertainment?

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Keeping a natural area, natural aggiecon Plant Science 2 13-12-2004 07:05 PM
natural/organic insecticides/repellents? Megan Milligan Gardening 10 19-10-2003 11:02 PM
Soil testing kits? David Hare-Scott Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
soil testing R B North Carolina 3 17-03-2003 04:32 PM
Soil testing kits Pat Kiewicz Edible Gardening 5 24-01-2003 12:18 AM