Old 17-09-2005, 07:39 PM
shazzbat

Default Squash question - update

Hi all,

Thanks to everybody who responded to my query about the squashes which were
supposed to be butternuts, but clearly weren't. We're happy calling them the
Buttercup/Kabocha type.

Anyway, we went down to the allotment today and brought them home with us.
The plant was showing signs of a touch of frost,which was confirmed by the
adjacent householders, although we've had no frost at home only 2 miles
away. Also we're going to be a bit busy in the next few weeks, so home they
came. There are a couple of pics of them here -

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/al...photo=33976665

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/al...photo=33976594

25 in the pics, plus about 5 or 6 small ones left on the plants just in case
they do anything, and a couple given away already. 30+ from 2 plants, not
bad, no?

Steve

Old 18-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Dwayne

Steve, have you tried any of them? How do they taste?

I'm not suggesting that you did this, but I used seeds once I had saved from
a prior years planting and got some strange results. From then on I have
never planted seeds that may have been cross-pollinated, unless it happened
while the seed company had them.

Dwayne

Old 18-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Michael Calwell

shazzbat wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks to everybody who responded to my query about the squashes which were
supposed to be butternuts, but clearly weren't. We're happy calling them the
Buttercup/Kabocha type.

you sure they aren't little gem squash?
Old 19-09-2005, 12:29 PM
shazzbat

"Michael Calwell" fac@fac wrote in message
SNIP

We're happy calling them the
Buttercup/Kabocha type.

you sure they aren't little gem squash?

No, I'm not sure of anything anymore :-))

The main reason for my original post on 08/09 was to ask if anyone knew. The
consensus of what others posted and from the sites they posted links to, was
that they were most likely Buttercup/Kabocha type ... Ish. It doesn't bother
me enough to get worked up about, I get the impression that identification
of squashes generally is open to some interpretation.

We haven't tasted them yet, but will later this week.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Steve