Old 29-12-2005, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gonzo

Default Meyer lemon rootstock prune?

Greetings,

Have a meyer lemon indoors, zone 5. It has one lemon on it, and just
dropped 90+ percent of the scion leaves - after a drink with acid-type
fertilizer, applied per directions. There are two large-ish suckers
from the rootstock on the plant, and I was wondering if I should snip
these off now, or wait a bit b/c of the lone lemon..

The leaves are quite dark and healthy looking, just wondered if the
rootstock might be taking over the plant, and if so, should I prune..?

Also, the tree is covered in new blossom buds. Does that sound normal,
that it is blooming when there are no leaves (almost none) on it..??

Thanks!

Old 30-12-2005, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"gonzo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

Have a meyer lemon indoors, zone 5. It has one lemon on it, and just
dropped 90+ percent of the scion leaves - after a drink with acid-type
fertilizer, applied per directions. There are two large-ish suckers
from the rootstock on the plant, and I was wondering if I should snip
these off now, or wait a bit b/c of the lone lemon..

The leaves are quite dark and healthy looking, just wondered if the
rootstock might be taking over the plant, and if so, should I prune..?

Also, the tree is covered in new blossom buds. Does that sound normal,
that it is blooming when there are no leaves (almost none) on it..??

Thanks!

I/m a novice Meyer grower. If it were my tree, I/d leave the suckers on
until new scion leaves appear and begin to mature. To do otherwise will
reduce the amount of what few leaves you have left that are needed for what
will hopefully be a full recovery from the extreme leaf drop.

Do you think the ferts caused the leaf drop or could it have been due to the
soil getting too moist?

Old 30-12-2005, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sounds like you're doing everything wrong.I raise citrus in Florida.
Use ONLY citrus fertilizer found at Home Depot type stores. Keep barely
moist in a full sunny location.No wet feet. Cut all suckers off ,all
the time,anytime.Fertilize early spring and late spring.VERY LIGHTLY
for a potted plant. Good luck

Old 01-01-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gonzo

Sounds like you're doing everything wrong.I raise citrus in Florida.

I was sorta thinking long the same lines.

Use ONLY citrus fertilizer found at Home Depot type stores. Keep barely
moist in a full sunny location.No wet feet. Cut all suckers off ,all
the time,anytime.Fertilize early spring and late spring.VERY LIGHTLY
for a potted plant. Good luck

Thanks. I think the leaf drop is seasonal, it has happened before
after bringing the pot in from outdoors, where it lives during the
summer/fall. This year I kept it out later than normal, and it
probably just thought it was the right thing to do. I don't recall it
blooming without leaves, though. There are just a handful. The
rootstocks will get pruned out later this spring, and I'll watch the
moisture better. Hopefully that will help!

Old 03-01-2006, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Some other tips... Repot to a slightly larger pot every third year,,,
Blooming seems to be normal.. NEVER fertalize going into winter...Cut
any roots off that are going in a circle when repotting.... Freshen
soil with new soil added also. loose mixture with 20 % pearlite added.
Sunny location......Good luck