Old 22-03-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default 2006 Garlic and Red Shallots Advance Order

Well Gary, you read the lengthy post. Confindence with an aol account?
I guess you could be right, but you aren't as I'm small time and enjoy
what I do. People are interested in finding produce or seed stock that
isn't full of garbage chemicals. Thanks for the tip tho, Randy

Old 22-03-2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
" wrote:

Well Gary, you read the lengthy post. Confindence with an aol account?
I guess you could be right, but you aren't as I'm small time and enjoy
what I do. People are interested in finding produce or seed stock that
isn't full of garbage chemicals. Thanks for the tip tho, Randy

You can get Organic garlic heads for a helluva lot less than that at
Whole Foods or Sun Harvest.

Peel the outer "paper" off then soak the bottom of the head in some
water with daily water changes until the cloves start to separate and
sprout.

Then pull the cloves apart and plant them.

It's not rocket science and you do not have to pay an arm and a leg for
"certified" organic.

Sun harvest and Whole Foods also sell organic red shallots. I'm not sure
of the price but it sure as hell is not $7.00 per lb. plus shipping. :-(

Organic produce sections in specific grocery stores are your friend, and
you CAN plant it! I do it all the time saving seeds from winter squashes
and pumpkins too.
--
Peace, Om.

Old 22-03-2006, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
Peel the outer "paper" off then soak the bottom of the head in some
water with daily water changes until the cloves start to separate and
sprout.

Then pull the cloves apart and plant them.

Why go through all that? I just separate my cloves and stick them in
the ground in the fall.

Old 22-03-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods

"James" wrote:

Why go through all that? I just separate my cloves and stick them in
the ground in the fall.

Different strokes; all that: There are different types of garlic, and they
need different treatment. My personal page, in the .sig below, has the
basics, and even a spreadsheet of what I grow. I do think there's some
merit in having known varieties, especially if you're obsessive-compulsive.
No, I don't have any for sale, though I do trades through the Seed Saver's
Exchange.

Old 22-03-2006, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"James" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
Peel the outer "paper" off then soak the bottom of the head in some
water with daily water changes until the cloves start to separate and
sprout.

Then pull the cloves apart and plant them.

Why go through all that? I just separate my cloves and stick them in
the ground in the fall.

Personal preference maybe... You are correct, but I find I get a higher
survival rate if they are sprouting for me first. :-)
--
Peace, Om.

Old 22-03-2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

"James" wrote:

Why go through all that? I just separate my cloves and stick them in
the ground in the fall.

Different strokes; all that: There are different types of garlic, and they
need different treatment. My personal page, in the .sig below, has the
basics, and even a spreadsheet of what I grow. I do think there's some
merit in having known varieties, especially if you're obsessive-compulsive.
No, I don't have any for sale, though I do trades through the Seed Saver's
Exchange.

Thanks!
I can always use more hints on growing garlic. :-)
--
Peace, Om.

Old 22-03-2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I see the merit in you letting them sprout prior to planting. I have
also read that removing the outer layer/layers from the cloves can help
eliminate disease, which makes sense. However, I cannot see myself
doing that with my volume. There is enough work involved already as
you well know. Have you tried pickling bell peppers with garlic?
That's a good tip from me. Randy