Old 14-05-2006, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GH

Default heavy attack of spider mites

Does anyone know how to get rid of the Tetranychus urticae or spider
mite? They have devastated my herb pots, ate the potatoe, tomatoe and
some bean plants and now they seem to be moving on to the flower
department.

How can I get rid of them? I tried spraying with a mixture of garlic
and dishwashing liquid but that only slowed them down.

In 3 days they were chewing happily at my plants as if nothing ever
happened. Can I do anything at all?

Old 14-05-2006, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GH

I read on a site (rexresearch) that stinging nettles and garlic help
repel/control spider mites. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Old 14-05-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"GH" wrote:

Does anyone know how to get rid of the Tetranychus urticae or spider
mite? They have devastated my herb pots, ate the potatoe, tomatoe and
some bean plants and now they seem to be moving on to the flower
department.

How can I get rid of them? I tried spraying with a mixture of garlic
and dishwashing liquid but that only slowed them down.

In 3 days they were chewing happily at my plants as if nothing ever
happened. Can I do anything at all?

Neem oil
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 14-05-2006, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carter

On 14 May 2006 11:46:29 -0700, "GH"
wrote:

I read on a site (rexresearch) that stinging nettles and garlic help
repel/control spider mites. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Here is a commercial site that claims success against them with
predator mites. I cannot help with garlic and nettles.

http://www.hydro-gardens.com/spidermite.htm
Old 14-05-2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carter

On 14 May 2006 10:25:10 -0700, "GH"
wrote:

Does anyone know how to get rid of the Tetranychus

I had a misfire and responded to the wrong message. Scroll down
a couple of messages. Sorry.

Old 15-05-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
rebecca

On 14 May 2006 10:25:10 -0700, "GH" wrote:

Does anyone know how to get rid of the Tetranychus urticae or spider
mite? They have devastated my herb pots, ate the potatoe, tomatoe and
some bean plants and now they seem to be moving on to the flower
department.

I have made a spray with a little bit of buttermilk and flour (like a
tablespoon of each for two liters of water), and some insecticidal
soap thrown in, and it worked really well. We get spider mites on our
beans every year.

Old 16-05-2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
webbo

Supposedly boiling rhubarb leaves and straining this into your sprayer
makes a good organic spray, whether it works for spider mite i'm not
sure they take some getting rid of.

Webbo norfolk UK

Old 21-05-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GH

I am not certain yet but I've done a little experiment. In one of my
big bean pots (60 cm diameter) I planted stinging nettles and in other
one lots of garlic cloves. My beans hated the garlic and lowered pod
production drastically and the aphid population dropped a little. In
the other pot (with stinging nettle) I have almost no aphids, my beans
are producing normally - 6 pods/week and continue to grow. The pots are
next to each other so the aphids would have no problem crossing.
Any comments from a more experienced gardner? What is your experience?