Old 17-07-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

Default Cucumber plant stopped growing/producing.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I'm growing "Marketmore 76" cucumbers hydroponically. I started
them from seed in February and moved them into my recirculating drip
method hydro unit in March. I'm in Southern California and growing
outdoors. The plants (2), took off and were growing 5 times faster
than their dirt counterparts. The leafs on the hydro cukes were 3
times bigger than their dirt counterparts as well. They produced about
25 large cukes and then stopped growing and flowering. There is some
small growth at the ends of the large vines but nothing like it was.
Is it possible the plant has reached its life expectancy? Or is the
heat not conducive to growing cukes. Any input would be appreciated.

Like many other vegetable plants, cukes produce vigorously for a short
while, then production declines. If you want a continuous supply, try
succession planting a new crop about four weeks after the first.