Old 23-07-2011, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Our tomatoes seem to have stopped growing

We've just gone through an period of unusually high temperatures and
humidity, and our tomato plants seem to have gone into some sort of
stasis.

They show no external signs of stress or disease, but to my untrained
eye neither the fruit nor the blossoms look any different from a week or
more ago.

If the weather returns to normal (whatever that is), will the plants
recover?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old 23-07-2011, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

We've just gone through an period of unusually high temperatures and
humidity, and our tomato plants seem to have gone into some sort of
stasis.

They show no external signs of stress or disease, but to my untrained
eye neither the fruit nor the blossoms look any different from a week or
more ago.

If the weather returns to normal (whatever that is), will the plants
recover?

Yes.
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would overhaul Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.
Old 23-07-2011, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

We've just gone through an period of unusually high temperatures and
humidity, and our tomato plants seem to have gone into some sort of
stasis.

They show no external signs of stress or disease, but to my untrained
eye neither the fruit nor the blossoms look any different from a week or
more ago.

If the weather returns to normal (whatever that is), will the plants
recover?

Yes.

Same here in Michigan for the tomatoes, but the cucumbers are going great.

Old 25-07-2011, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bert Hyman wrote:

We've just gone through an period of unusually high temperatures and
humidity, and our tomato plants seem to have gone into some sort of
stasis.

They show no external signs of stress or disease, but to my untrained
eye neither the fruit nor the blossoms look any different from a week or
more ago.

Here in Chicago metro our tomatoes are doing okay. It's the peppers
that aren't flowering. The plants are growing like bushes but only a
couple of them have any flowers at all so far this year. A couple of
pimento peppers are growing and that's it. Just one plant growing
peppers and the rest getting big. Crossing my fingers they will flower.
Old 25-07-2011, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Doug Freyburger wrote:
Bert Hyman wrote:

We've just gone through an period of unusually high temperatures and
humidity, and our tomato plants seem to have gone into some sort of
stasis.

They show no external signs of stress or disease, but to my untrained
eye neither the fruit nor the blossoms look any different from a week or
more ago.

Here in Chicago metro our tomatoes are doing okay. It's the peppers
that aren't flowering. The plants are growing like bushes but only a
couple of them have any flowers at all so far this year. A couple of
pimento peppers are growing and that's it. Just one plant growing
peppers and the rest getting big. Crossing my fingers they will flower.

three answers come to mind, perhaps too
much nitrogen in the soil, lack of full sun
or a lack of pollinators.

we've had no trouble this season with the
peppers, lack of rain has been the toughest.
about the same zone as you Doug.

songbird

Old 25-07-2011, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:
Bert Hyman wrote:

[...]

The heat has slowed the growth of my tomatoes. But the last two days
temperatures have been less the 90 Degrees. Peppers are not doing well.
Others are going well like squash. Had fried squash today.

Corn is not doing well due to insufficient rain and late planting. The west
coast of Michigan is getting most of the rain. The rain seems to be missing
me on the east coast of Michigan. Raining all around me but not much here.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Registered User

Location: California
Post

Weeds almost share water and nutrients with tomato plants.So yank them out when they show up in your garden.
Fruit Trees