Old 27-08-2006, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Acid loving blueberries in main garden

I want to put a few blueberry bushes on one edge of my vegetable
garden. I have some sulpher to change the ph for them. How far will
this spread into the rest of the garden? Anyone have any experience
with this? (Ohio zone 5)

Old 27-08-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Butzmark wrote:

I want to put a few blueberry bushes on one edge of my vegetable
garden. I have some sulpher to change the ph for them. How far will
this spread into the rest of the garden? Anyone have any experience
with this? (Ohio zone 5)

I live on ten acres (mostly forest) that includes roughly 2 to 3 acres
of wild blueberries. These guys love to spread. I can't even keep them
from migrating into my lawn which gets limed annually. If you plant
them, treat them like a plot of strawberries or raspberries and be
prepared to wage battle after a couple years.

Oh, they love peat too. Lots of peat.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Blueberry Rich Far East
Old 27-08-2006, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Butzmark wrote:
I want to put a few blueberry bushes on one edge of my vegetable
garden. I have some sulpher to change the ph for them. How far will
this spread into the rest of the garden? Anyone have any experience
with this? (Ohio zone 5)

would you consider an underground barrier? something like vinyl siding,
one foot deep. If not, my uneducated guess is that it will spread about
ten feet eventually. How do I know that? I just consider the grass near
my neighbor fence (he has horses, and two spots near the fence are
where they prefer to manure) compared to the grass away from it (in
poor sandy soil, it is much sparser and not as green).

Old 28-08-2006, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I planted some in Arkansas that I ordered from a grower, and they didnt
spread at all. What little growth they did, was all was around the base of
each plant.

You need to keep a pH down around 4 to 5.5 for them to do really well.

Dwayne

Old 29-08-2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Insofar as your acid soil extends they will propagate. Problem is, in
normal soil, keeping things sufficiently acid is not so easy. I find
that blueberries thrive as an underplanting in a pine/spruce/fir plot
that is exposed to some direct sun during the day. Lacking such natural
acidity, if you do not faithfully keep on top of them with acidifiers,
they will die. Just my experience.

If I were to keep them inside a garden fence I would keep them in beds
of their own that I could acidify individually, without stepping on the
toes of other veggies or plants.

J.