Old 26-02-2007, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Need tomato varietal suggestion

I'm trying to find a varietal that will grow well in colorado and
produce fruit that is tangy and not very sweet.

I grew up in scotland and remember my parents greenhouse tomatos being
that way, but i'm not sure if it's just because they grew so much more
slowly than things do here.

Any ideas?

Graham

Old 26-02-2007, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 26 Feb 2007 07:05:46 -0800, "Graham" wrote:

I'm trying to find a varietal that will grow well in colorado and
produce fruit that is tangy and not very sweet.

I grew up in scotland and remember my parents greenhouse tomatos being
that way, but i'm not sure if it's just because they grew so much more
slowly than things do here.

Any ideas?

If you go to the Cornell Vegetable Variety site and register as a user
(it's free and I've enjoyed using the site), you can sort your
searches by state or season. The home page is:

http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/index.php

After you register, if you click on "How to use this site" in the menu
on the left. Scroll down to "limiting results" and you'll get the
following instructions.

****
Limiting results

If you are a registered user on this web site you also have the option
to limit your search results by your state or frost-free season. You
will need to login to use this feature. Once you are logged in you
will see a second drop down menu with the options.

Choose "All results" from the drop down menu if you'd like to see all
results.

Choose "Just my state" if you'd like to limit search results to crop
varieties reviewed by people in your state.

Choose "Just my frost-free season" to limit search results to crop
varieties reviewed by people in your frost free season.

You can see your current State and Frost-free Season in the My Profile
box on the left hand side of the page.

****

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 27-02-2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 26, 10:35 am, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:
On 26 Feb 2007 07:05:46 -0800, "Graham" wrote:

I'm trying to find a varietal that will grow well in colorado and
produce fruit that is tangy and not very sweet.

I grew up in scotland and remember my parents greenhouse tomatos being
that way, but i'm not sure if it's just because they grew so much more
slowly than things do here.

Any ideas?

If you go to the Cornell Vegetable Variety site and register as a user
(it's free and I've enjoyed using the site), you can sort your
searches by state or season. The home page is:

http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/index.php

After you register, if you click on "How to use this site" in the menu
on the left. Scroll down to "limiting results" and you'll get the
following instructions.

Thanks for the Site! It looks pretty useful, unfortunately there isn't
a lot of reviews from CO.

Graham

Old 27-02-2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 26 Feb 2007 07:05:46 -0800, "Graham" wrote:

I'm trying to find a varietal that will grow well in colorado and
produce fruit that is tangy and not very sweet.

I grew up in scotland and remember my parents greenhouse tomatos being
that way, but i'm not sure if it's just because they grew so much more
slowly than things do here.

Any ideas?

Graham

Found the motherlode: Links to all of the state or county extension
offices:
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

--
Susan N.

Old 27-02-2007, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:35:20 -0500, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

On 26 Feb 2007 07:05:46 -0800, "Graham" wrote:

I'm trying to find a varietal that will grow well in colorado and
produce fruit that is tangy and not very sweet.

I grew up in scotland and remember my parents greenhouse tomatos being
that way, but i'm not sure if it's just because they grew so much more
slowly than things do here.

Any ideas?

If you go to the Cornell Vegetable Variety site and register as a user
(it's free and I've enjoyed using the site), you can sort your
searches by state or season. The home page is:

http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/index.php

Why did you have to post that site? I had my tomato varieties down to
9. Then I started looking there and found Window Box Roma. And as
long as you are ordering 1, you just as well order the other 5 seeds
you had marked as looking interesting. So I am getting:

Window Box Roma
Momotaro
Rose de Berne
Arkansas Traveler
Santa Clara Canner
Pepperoncini

--
Susan N.

Old 28-02-2007, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:11:19 -0500, The Cook
wrote:

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/index.php

Why did you have to post that site?

Ha! We should all suffer together.

I spent a whole afternoon writing reviews when I first found the site.

I had my tomato varieties down to
9. Then I started looking there and found Window Box Roma. And as
long as you are ordering 1, you just as well order the other 5 seeds
you had marked as looking interesting. So I am getting:

Window Box Roma
Momotaro
Rose de Berne

I have been tempted to try that one.

Arkansas Traveler

This was one of my favorites for years, but during the War of the
spit! Thrips, it proved to be rather susceptible to Tomato Spotted
Wilt Virus. I ought to try it again now that the spit! thrips are
under better control.

Penelope
- "pointed"