Old 03-03-2007, 12:37 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default Frozen Lima Beans

This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

What are some easy recipes?

Old 03-03-2007, 01:08 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

Not hard to grow, but they take a long time to mature, so less turnaround
per acre, more money charged.

What are some easy recipes?

Google for "lima beans with mint". I had a recipe years ago, can't find it
now.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:40 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"James" wrote in message
ups.com...

This week the local supermarket has frozen veges on sale $1 for one
pound package. I was surprised to find that the regular price for
Lima Beans is $3.99. Maybe I'll plant some this season in addition to
my regular row of string beans.

Are they hard to grow?

Not hard to grow, but they take a long time to mature, so less turnaround
per acre, more money charged.

What are some easy recipes?

Google for "lima beans with mint". I had a recipe years ago, can't find it
now.

Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

George

Old 03-03-2007, 05:32 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

Are butter beans really the same thing as limas? I thought they
were different, and I certainly seem to think that I have a preference
for butter beans over lima beans. (Hopefully I'm not crazy and basing
my preference only on the name when the actual food is no different.
That would be embarrassing.)

Is it possible this is one of those things where several varieties
go by the same name? When I was a kid, I told everyone I hated green
beans, except Del Monte brand, which I liked. Everyone told me I was
nuts and that they were all the same thing, until one day I happened
to mention this to my grandfather (who was a food broker and thus
knew a bit more about green beans than the average person), and
instead of telling me I was nuts he said, "Well, Del Monte only cans
Blue Lake variety. It could be that you like Blue Lake variety green
beans and not the others." Sure enough he was right -- I found some
store brand Blue Lake green beans and they were the good stuff.

The point being, maybe the terms "butter beans" and "lima beans"
actually do refer to something slightly different. Anyone have any
further information or insights?

- Logan
Old 03-03-2007, 07:42 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Logan Shaw wrote:

George Shirley wrote:
Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

Are butter beans really the same thing as limas? I thought they
were different....... [...]

Not technically the same. The term is used kind of like "broad beans" I
think. I can't recall the taxonomy but, in my experience, butter beans
are a different species. The ones we've grown are kind of brownish, not
green like limas. And btw, fresh Blue Lake string beans are among my
favorites too.

Emma

Old 05-03-2007, 09:02 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 11:42 am, Emma Thackery wrote:
In article ,
Logan Shaw wrote:

George Shirley wrote:
Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

Are butter beans really the same thing as limas? I thought they
were different....... [...]

Not technically the same. The term is used kind of like "broad beans" I
think. I can't recall the taxonomy but, in my experience, butter beans
are a different species. The ones we've grown are kind of brownish, not
green like limas. And btw, fresh Blue Lake string beans are among my
favorites too.

Emma

Lima beans in Asia is white; alos avaialble at American grocery store
in dry form.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:26 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Logan Shaw" wrote in message
George Shirley wrote:
Or any recipe for "butter beans" as limas are called in the south.

Are butter beans really the same thing as limas? I thought they
were different, and I certainly seem to think that I have a preference
for butter beans over lima beans. (Hopefully I'm not crazy and basing
my preference only on the name when the actual food is no different.
That would be embarrassing.)

snip

Some interesting information he

http://sarasota.extension.ufl.edu/FC...tter_Beans.htm

Old 03-03-2007, 10:52 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Chloe" wrote:

Some interesting information he

http://sarasota.extension.ufl.edu/FC...tter_Beans.htm

Why you find it interesting I've no idea, I find it intersting in that
it contains incorrect information.

For correct bean information go he http://www.americanbean.org

And he

lima bean
[LY-muh]
This New World bean was named for Lima, Peru, where it was found as
early as 1500. There are two distinct varieties of lima - the Fordhook
and the baby lima (and Fordhooks are not adult baby limas). Both are
pale green, plump-bodied and have a slight kidney-shape curve. The
Fordhook is larger and plumper than the baby lima. It also has a
fuller flavor than its smaller relative. Fresh limas are available
from June to September. They're usually sold in their pods, which
should be plump, firm and dark green. The pods can be refrigerated in
a plastic bag for up to a week. They should be shelled just before
using. Frozen lima beans are available year-round and are labeled
according to variety (Fordhook or baby). Canned and dried limas are
usually labeled "jumbo," "large" or "small," a designation that
relates to size and not variety. In the South, dried limas are
frequently referred to as butter beans . When mottled with purple
they're called calico or speckled butter beans . A traditional way to
serve limas is with corn in SUCCOTASH. They're also used alone as a
side dish, in soups and sometimes in salads. Lima beans contain a good
amount of protein, phosphorus, potassium and iron. The lima is also
called the Madagascar bean . See also BEAN.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon

Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are some easy recipes?

I love lima beans.

Put some in a cereal bowl,
add a bit of water,
cover with a saucer,
and microwave them for 5 or 6 minutes or until tender.

It can't get much easier than that!

Don

Old 03-03-2007, 02:56 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Don K wrote:
"James" wrote in message
ups.com...

What are some easy recipes?

I love lima beans.

Put some in a cereal bowl,
add a bit of water,
cover with a saucer,
and microwave them for 5 or 6 minutes or until tender.

It can't get much easier than that!

Don

I like the dried giant limas, do a quick soak, cut up onion, some
garlic, and a link of smoked sausage and simmer until dinner time. Eat
over rice or Arkansas cornbread or just plain with a little homemade hot
sauce. Filling, rich in fiber, cheap to buy and cook, tastes good too. I
like them better than the fresh ones.

George

Old 03-03-2007, 06:18 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:56:00 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

I like the dried giant limas, do a quick soak, cut up onion, some
garlic, and a link of smoked sausage and simmer until dinner time. Eat
over rice or Arkansas cornbread or just plain with a little homemade hot
sauce. Filling, rich in fiber, cheap to buy and cook, tastes good too. I
like them better than the fresh ones.

*drool*

Guess I'm running to the store before dinner....

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I like the dried giant limas, do a quick soak, cut up onion, some
garlic, and a link of smoked sausage and simmer until dinner time. Eat
over rice or Arkansas cornbread or just plain with a little homemade hot
sauce. Filling, rich in fiber, cheap to buy and cook, tastes good too. I
like them better than the fresh ones.

*drool*

Guess I'm running to the store before dinner....

Me too, I forgot about dried limas. I have all the stuff to make this, will
put the limas on my shopping list. Thanx George...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Old 04-03-2007, 01:06 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I like the dried giant limas, do a quick soak, cut up onion, some
garlic, and a link of smoked sausage and simmer until dinner time. Eat
over rice or Arkansas cornbread or just plain with a little homemade hot
sauce. Filling, rich in fiber, cheap to buy and cook, tastes good too. I
like them better than the fresh ones.

*drool*

Guess I'm running to the store before dinner....

Me too, I forgot about dried limas. I have all the stuff to make this, will
put the limas on my shopping list. Thanx George...!!!

You're welcome, sometimes we have to remind each other about good grub,
cheap.

George

Old 11-03-2007, 05:41 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Don K wrote:

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are some easy recipes?

I love lima beans.

Put some in a cereal bowl,
add a bit of water,
cover with a saucer,
and microwave them for 5 or 6 minutes or until tender.

It can't get much easier than that!

Don

How about "Easy #2"?

I like Lima beans with cottage cheese on the side. Doesn't need much
dressing up - just a touch of salt on both and some black pepper on the
cottage cheese. I can make a very filling meal out of that with only two
ingredients.

Rick
Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article , Rick wrote:

I like Lima beans with cottage cheese on the side. Doesn't need much
dressing up - just a touch of salt on both and some black pepper on the
cottage cheese. I can make a very filling meal out of that with only two
ingredients.

You don't find cottage cheese already salty enough? Does the cottage
cheese making process require so much salt or is it just a common
practice?

lima beans janet Gardening 1 31-08-2008 12:32 PM
lima beans donald girod Gardening 5 24-10-2005 11:33 AM
lima beans donald girod Lawns 1 02-10-2003 03:22 PM
Dried Lima Beans not Viable for Planting lagniappe Gardening 3 26-03-2003 03:32 PM
Sprouting Dried Lima Beans (for garden) lagniappe Gardening 13 07-03-2003 10:08 PM