Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone vere used dill w/ lima beans?

On Mar 5, 1:24 am, Omelet wrote:
In article .com,

"mm" wrote:
Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth)
using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just
before removing the heat.

I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I
don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

I don't eat Lima beans (can't stand 'em!) but I do often use dill with
steamed veggie dishes. Fish too.

I never used with steam veges. I should try. I love dill btu never
knew where to use to finish off the big bunch you get in an Asian
store.

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"mm" wrote:

On Mar 5, 1:24 am, Omelet wrote:
In article .com,

"mm" wrote:
Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth)
using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just
before removing the heat.

I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I
don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

I don't eat Lima beans (can't stand 'em!) but I do often use dill with
steamed veggie dishes. Fish too.

I never used with steam veges. I should try. I love dill btu never
knew where to use to finish off the big bunch you get in an Asian
store.

I often dry the large bunches I get at the asian market and store in a
jar. I use them on just about any steamed veggie as well as grilled fish
and sauteed shrimps.

Take 1 lb. of peeled and deveined shrimp and toss into a skillet in a
mix of hot butter and olive oil. Add a light sprinkling of garlic
powder, a generous amount of dried (or fresh) dill weed and a bit of
salt free lemon pepper.

Stir gently until all of the shrimp is pink.

Serve over steamed veggies, pasta, or rice.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:32 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Boiled a pound package worth of frozen ones in chicken soup. Suprised
that I didn't toot too much. Don't know if limas are less gasy or if
it's because frozen is less gasy than canned beans.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:41 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"mm" wrote:

Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth)
using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just
before removing the heat.

I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I
don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

Are you sure you're not talking about fava beans? The skins on limas is
onion-skin thin.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:41 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default Frozen Lima Beans

Don K wrote:

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are some easy recipes?

I love lima beans.

Put some in a cereal bowl,
add a bit of water,
cover with a saucer,
and microwave them for 5 or 6 minutes or until tender.

It can't get much easier than that!

Don

How about "Easy #2"?

I like Lima beans with cottage cheese on the side. Doesn't need much
dressing up - just a touch of salt on both and some black pepper on the
cottage cheese. I can make a very filling meal out of that with only two
ingredients.

Rick

Old 11-03-2007, 04:19 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 1:41 pm, Emma Thackery wrote:
In article .com,

"mm" wrote:
Try making a soup with lima beans (I used dried one soaked overnigth)
using onions and amy be garlic too. Then add dill (fresh one) just
before removing the heat.

I made it once only ...that's only because I hate peeling the skin. I
don't like to eat the skin on lima beans ..

Are you sure you're not talking about fava beans? The skins on limas is
onion-skin thin.

Yes, I am sure. We never ate the skin back home.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article , Rick wrote:

I like Lima beans with cottage cheese on the side. Doesn't need much
dressing up - just a touch of salt on both and some black pepper on the
cottage cheese. I can make a very filling meal out of that with only two
ingredients.

You don't find cottage cheese already salty enough? Does the cottage
cheese making process require so much salt or is it just a common
practice?
Old 18-04-2007, 12:46 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

Are they hard to grow?

Not so much, but digging a hole in the ice to plant the seedlings can be
a real bitch.

--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.

lima beans janet Gardening 1 31-08-2008 12:32 PM
lima beans donald girod Gardening 5 24-10-2005 11:33 AM
lima beans donald girod Lawns 1 02-10-2003 03:22 PM
Dried Lima Beans not Viable for Planting lagniappe Gardening 3 26-03-2003 03:32 PM
Sprouting Dried Lima Beans (for garden) lagniappe Gardening 13 07-03-2003 10:08 PM