Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing garlic

On Sun, 6 May 2007 12:50:48 UTC, Steve Calvin
opined:
Stan Goodman wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2007 01:08:21 UTC, Steve Calvin
opined:

I wouldn't plant anything from the stores personally. Most
often they have softneck, which if you we don't care for.
But that's just us.

Elephant "garlic", it not garlic. It's a member of the lily
family. While people use it as garlic, it isn't.

I'm confused, am I reading you correctly?. It (Alium Ampeloprasum)
isn't a garlic (Alium) because it is a member of the lily family?
Would you like to expand on that?

I meant to say the leek family *not* lily....

But "lily" is what you wrote, and is what I enquired about. You are
very charitable, are you not, with your errors.

but to answer your question.... you really should learn to
use a search engine if you're going to "play" on the
internet and usenet realms...

You seem to be rather less charitable with others, you patronizing
prick. To ask why a reputed Alium is not in fact an Alium seems rather
rational to me. To find a way to treat the questioner like an idiot
six-year-old suggests you must be in serious need of an ego boost.

I need a group like this much like a need a hole in the head. The
truth is that there is nothing here that can't be found easily on the
Web -- except of course some guys who like to act like major gurus --
by playing back en gros material they collected on the Web.

I'm out.

Russian garlic (Allium ampeloprasum var. ampeloprasum) is
not a true garlic, but actually a variant of the species to
which the garden leek belongs. It has a tall, solid,
flowering stalk and broad, flat leaves much like those of
the leek, but forms a bulb consisting of very large,
garlic-like cloves. The flavor of these, while not exactly
like garlic, is much more similar to garlic than to leeks.
The flavor is milder than garlic, and much more palatable to
some people than garlic when used raw as in salads.

The mature bulb is broken up into cloves which are quite
large and with papery skins and these are used for both
culinary purposes and propagation. There are also much
smaller cloves with a hard shell that occur on the outside
of the bulb. These are often ignored, but if they are
planted, they will the first year produce a non-flowering
plant which has a solid bulb, essentially a single large
clove. In their second year, this single clove will break up
into many separate cloves. Elephant garlic is not generally
propagated by seeds.

Some people use the young unopened flowering heads as a
vegetable.

The plant, if left alone, will spread into a clump with many
flowering heads. These are often left in flower gardens as
an ornamental and to discourage pests.

--
Stan Goodman

Old 06-05-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Stan Goodman wrote:

I'm out.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass - f-hole

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Old 06-05-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Calvin wrote:

GW at 4 feet? Wow. I usually do German White, red and
Spanish Roja and they're usually 2 feet tops.

Average weight 3oz/bulb in a mediocre year. Names are funny things with
garlic... a picture spoiled by a large (6'2", and we won't talk weight)
intruder at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~garygarli...nWhiteSelf.jpg

Music on the right, German White on the left.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:
Steve Calvin wrote:

GW at 4 feet? Wow. I usually do German White, red and
Spanish Roja and they're usually 2 feet tops.

Average weight 3oz/bulb in a mediocre year. Names are funny things with
garlic... a picture spoiled by a large (6'2", and we won't talk weight)
intruder at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~garygarli...nWhiteSelf.jpg

Music on the right, German White on the left.

Wow, mine never get that large but I get about the same size
bulbes. Wonder why the difference. We're not that far apart
so the growing season's the same.

At least I don' think so, but my memory's not what it used
to be. I'll pay closer attention for the next month or two.
;-)

Old 07-05-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Stan Goodman" wrote:

I need a group like this much like a need a hole in the head. The
truth is that there is nothing here that can't be found easily on the
Web -- except of course some guys who like to act like major gurus --

IMHO, you've taken considerably more offense than was given or intended.
But if you don't like personal contact, the web and google are definitely
the right place.

Me, I'll take the good with the occasional twit. But then, that's my
general view of life.

Peace,

Old 08-05-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 05 May 2007 23:10:48 +0000, Jimmy wrote:

I want to grow some garlic, but can I just use the elephant garlic I buy at
the store and just plant the cloves or do I have to do something different?
Never seen garlic plants or anything garlic at the garden centers. In zone
5.

TIA

Jimmy

I have planted store bought garlic. No problem. Then when I harvest I
wait a week or two and put some of the harvest back in the ground. Works
for me in sunny so cal.

stonerfish

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic Growing Problems [email protected] United Kingdom 0 24-05-2004 07:11 PM
Growing Zones Was: when do you harvest garlic? Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 9 18-04-2004 06:05 AM
Growing Zones Was: when do you harvest garlic? Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 0 06-04-2004 09:15 PM
Moron growing garlic Mary McHugh Edible Gardening 9 27-04-2003 07:20 AM