Old 17-05-2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default cherry tree question

We used to have this beautiful cherry tree at my grandmothers when we were
growing up that most of us kids could climb at the same time and had the
very best cherries for making pies then it got black (something??)
Now that I have my place I have been dreaming of having my own cherry tree
but have no idea what kind is best, does it need a mate ( like blueberries
bushes), etc?
and how long does it take to bear fruit usually? say 5-10 years growth?
--
Lynn ---5b canada's east

Old 17-05-2007, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Lynn" wrote in message

We used to have this beautiful cherry tree at my grandmothers when we were
growing up that most of us kids could climb at the same time and had the
very best cherries for making pies then it got black (something??)
Now that I have my place I have been dreaming of having my own cherry tree
but have no idea what kind is best, does it need a mate ( like blueberries
bushes), etc?
and how long does it take to bear fruit usually? say 5-10 years growth?
--
Lynn ---5b canada's east

Buy a fairly mature tree and plant it early and you will get fruit the same
year, or the next.

Suggest you start by seeing what is locally available, then read up on them
as to what'll give you what you want.

--
Brian

Old 17-05-2007, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Some sweet cherry trees are self fertile, others not. Check before you buy. It
can
take many years to grow if you have the tree on standard rootstock. If you
select
a proper rootstock, you may accelerate the time to bear fruit. Here in the
Chicago
area, we tried a Stella Sweet Cherry, which was a self fertile tree.
Unfortunately, it
grew quite rapidly, but only produced a handful of cheeries, so we pulled it
out.
Our Montmorency Sour Cherry does much better here. It is also self fruitful and
is
a consistent producer every year, even growing in a space with limited sunlight.

Sherwin D.

Old 17-05-2007, 07:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Brian Watson wrote:

"Lynn" wrote in message

We used to have this beautiful cherry tree at my grandmothers when we were
growing up that most of us kids could climb at the same time and had the
very best cherries for making pies then it got black (something??)
Now that I have my place I have been dreaming of having my own cherry tree
but have no idea what kind is best, does it need a mate ( like blueberries
bushes), etc?
and how long does it take to bear fruit usually? say 5-10 years growth?
--
Lynn ---5b canada's east

Buy a fairly mature tree and plant it early and you will get fruit the same
year, or the next.

Planting a mature tree is both expensive and risky. You would have to move
it with a huge rootball to keep it healthy. Younger trees transplant much
better.

Sherwin D.

Old 18-05-2007, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thank you Brian
I did check out one place today and the price kind of threw me a bit but
now I have a place to start on price and size. I am off to check my usual
garden center

--
Lynn ---VOF Leaper

Old 18-05-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks Sherwin,
I think I am looking for a sour cherry tree as well ( makes better pies). I
will look into the Montmorency when I g to my local nursery

--
Lynn

Old 18-05-2007, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"sherwindu" wrote in message

Brian Watson wrote:

Buy a fairly mature tree and plant it early and you will get fruit the
same
year, or the next.

Planting a mature tree is both expensive and risky. You would have to
move
it with a huge rootball to keep it healthy. Younger trees transplant
much
better.

That's why I said, "*fairly* mature."

My Morello tree had quite a large netted rootball but was easily hefted into
the back of my car from the plant nursery.

It's cropping well this year.

--
Brian

Old 18-05-2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

We had a Montmarency at the other place. The best pies ever.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 19-05-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Lynn" wrote:

We used to have this beautiful cherry tree at my grandmothers when we were
growing up that most of us kids could climb at the same time and had the
very best cherries for making pies then it got black (something??)
Now that I have my place I have been dreaming of having my own cherry tree
but have no idea what kind is best, does it need a mate ( like blueberries
bushes), etc?
and how long does it take to bear fruit usually? say 5-10 years growth?

A good sour cherry is Bali, probably known in Canada as Evans.
It was developed by Dr. Evans at the University of Saskatchewan.
It's self-fertile and it's a wonderful pie cherry.

Your grandmothers tree may have gotten Black Canker.

Jan in Alaska
USDA Zone 3

PS: I'm grafting Bali scionwood to a Mayday Tree rootstock
today. It's an experiment : )

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 22-05-2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I went out and bought one over the weekend and have it all planted in .

--
Lynn ---5b Canada's east coast

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
We had a Montmarency at the other place. The best pies ever.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Sand Cherry question Cheryl Isaak Gardening 2 02-09-2004 11:10 AM
cherry question karen United Kingdom 2 16-06-2003 10:08 PM
Goodbye cherry tree, hello Clematis Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 30-04-2003 09:32 PM
Advice for young cherry tree Luca Gardening 4 25-04-2003 08:32 PM
Too late to prune cherry tree? subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 3 11-03-2003 12:12 AM