Old 28-05-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Him Him is offline

Default what is eating my bean leaves

I have some bush beans planted and about 4 inches high. Something is eating
the leaves off the plants starting atone end of the row and working straight
down. The next row over is snow peas and nothing is touching them.

What is eating my beans and how can I save them?

Old 28-05-2007, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article k.net,
"Him" wrote:

I have some bush beans planted and about 4 inches high. Something is eating
the leaves off the plants starting atone end of the row and working straight
down. The next row over is snow peas and nothing is touching them.

What is eating my beans and how can I save them?

Start with "Sluggo" and then tell us where you are.

- Bill
Old 28-05-2007, 09:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

In article k.net,
"Him" wrote:

I have some bush beans planted and about 4 inches high. Something is eating
the leaves off the plants starting atone end of the row and working straight
down. The next row over is snow peas and nothing is touching them.

What is eating my beans and how can I save them?

Start with "Sluggo" and then tell us where you are.

- Bill

I'd also add BT to that in case it's moth larvae of some kind.

Slugs leave slime trails so she can look for those.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 28-05-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Had a rabbit do that to our beans last year. stayed straight down one row
til the end. every morning there would be another row gone. rabbit box
worked for us on that one. my sister has it as a pet now.

hlink.net...

Old 28-05-2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

If it is rabbits sprinkle some very hot pepper on the leaves.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 28-05-2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Him Him is offline

What is BT?

It is not sluggs ... no trail.

Not rabbits ... it is an insect .. holes start out small and take over
leaf.

hlink.net...

Old 29-05-2007, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .net,
"Him" wrote:

What is BT?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

- Bill
Old 29-05-2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .net,
"Him" wrote:

What is BT?

It is not sluggs ... no trail.

Not rabbits ... it is an insect .. holes start out small and take over
leaf.

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Lawn_an...All-Green_Ligh
t_BT_Worm_Killer_Bacillus_Thuringiensis_ME/display_~reviews
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 29-05-2007, 11:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Him said:

What is BT?

It is not sluggs ... no trail.

Not rabbits ... it is an insect .. holes start out small and take over
leaf.

Do you see the insects at all?

If there is no sign (during the day) of any insect, I would suspect earwigs,
especially if the plants are seedlings. These feed at night. Set traps
for them. You could also go out late at night and spray them directly
with insecticidal soap.

if you see any tiny dark beetles that hop off the plant when disturbed
that could be the culprit (flea beetles). Dust the plants and the ground
around them with coffee grounds, or try a garlic and hot pepper spray.

Neither of these will be controlled by Bt.

I'm assuming the problem isn't Mexican bean beetles or bean leaf beetles
because you surely would have seen some obvious sign of the beetles or
larvae.

Cabbage loopers will sometimes feed on beans, but you should have been
able to spot the small inch-worm type caterpillars if that were the case.

(attributed to Don Marti)