Old 02-06-2007, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Need help identifying herbs

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Bill Rose wrote in news:rosefam-DD4294.13255001062007
@cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

In article .com,
mleblanca wrote:

I'd still give
all of the for one mocking bird.
My mockingbird leaves the first of May. He goes down to the creek
to help with raising the younguns. No singing at this time, too busy

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non dispu

Emilie

Friends of ours had a tree where a mockingbird nested for 3 years in a
row. I could have listen to that bird all night. The drive to their

hour
took us by fields with a small brook, where deer would be grazing in
the long shadows. That and the food that our friends made, made every
other Sat. an event that I awaited with great anticipation. Mockingbird
left, friends left, deer left but I still do the Sat. night barbeque.
I'd love to listen to a mockingbird again.

- Bill

In what part of the country do you have mockingbirds? Do you plant stuff
that will encourage them come 'round?

I saw my first hummingbird yesterday -- a nice Ruby Throat male. I was
so thrilled I could have kissed his pointy little beak. I know in groups
they are really not a nice bird but I love their little humming souls.

This is Northern California. I have no idea what the mockingbird lived
on. I'd grow a bunch if I knew. I've tried various bird feeders but all
I get is more jays (colored blue).

Humming birds have been here for about 4 weeks, mainly feeding on our
Chinese lanterns.

It seems every year at the beginning of summer we get a smattering of
song birds but then they move on leaving us with the croaking of the
jays (blue types) and, the little chirps of the house wrens and
bush-tits for the rest of the summer. I have a feeder for the small
birds, that provides black sunflower seeds and there is an ariel water
bowl because we have 5 cats and a number of inquisitive squirrels.

- Bill
Old 02-06-2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Jun 1, 6:27 pm, Bill Rose wrote:
In article ,

mleblanca wrote:

[...]

FW and Bill
Yes, Nor Calif here too. MB are not seed eaters; but eat fruits/
berries, insects, even lizards/small snakes. They won't come to
a feeder with sunflower/seeds etc. The MB came here first to the
berries on the Grape Holly and the Viburnum tinus and currants.
Probably any local berries that form in the fall or early winter would
work.
I also put out persimmons for the kinglets and warblers and then
discovered that the MB loves persimmons too. I make a treat of
peanut butter mixed with cornmeal, which many of the other
small insect eaters like. The MB found it this
winter and would come right up on the porch for it...became quite
tame. Would watch for me to put it out in the early am and then
fly right down. The books say raisins are good, but this one didn't
touch them.
The MB comes here in early fall, singing up a concert establishing
a feeding territory, then sing to attract a mate, nest near the creek
and then move to cooler places about mid May.
I, too, love their songs, even if they do sing at 4 am!
Emilie