Old 30-05-2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Need help identifying herbs

Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from
seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that
these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't recognize
them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted them in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3 posts over.
It didn't up-load.

I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the snaps. It
was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified, I'll do better
next time.

- Bill
Old 30-05-2007, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from
seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that
these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't recognize
them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted them in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3 posts over.
It didn't up-load.

I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the snaps. It
was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified, I'll do better
next time.

- Bill

Some of us don't have access to binary newsgroups. It would be better to
post pictures at a site like www.photobucket.com. It's free, by the way.

Old 30-05-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:25:19 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from
seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that
these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't recognize
them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted them in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3 posts over.
It didn't up-load.

I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the snaps. It
was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified, I'll do better
next time.

- Bill

Are all the photos of the same plant, Bill?

The first one, shot from the top, looks like echinacea.

Hmmm
Charlie
Old 30-05-2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:

Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from
seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that
these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't recognize
them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted them in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3 posts over.
It didn't up-load.

I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the snaps. It
was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified, I'll do better
next time.

- Bill

Are all the photos of the same plant, Bill?

The first one, shot from the top, looks like echinacea.

Hmmm
Charlie

OK, so I'm not a photographer. The fuzzy pictures were taken with a
polaroid that obviously has no macro capability. The second was taken by
a neighbor who was pressed into service.
Each set is of a different plant 1a&b, 2a&b and, then I got tricky, 3&4
a&b are of two plants, side by side.
Scores will be awarded on the basis of correctness or creativity.
Good luck,
- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Old 31-05-2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:47:41 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

Are all the photos of the same plant, Bill?

The first one, shot from the top, looks like echinacea.

Hmmm
Charlie

OK, so I'm not a photographer. The fuzzy pictures were taken with a
polaroid that obviously has no macro capability. The second was taken by
a neighbor who was pressed into service.
Each set is of a different plant 1a&b, 2a&b and, then I got tricky, 3&4
a&b are of two plants, side by side.
Scores will be awarded on the basis of correctness or creativity.
Good luck,

I'm staying with echinacea on #1. Are the leaves and the stem
"sandpapery"? And the stem tough? If it is echinacea, you should see
some buds before long.

Others have to get the others.

I like this game, kinda like the National Geographic guess the macro
shot.

Chumily
Charlie
Old 31-05-2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in :

I'm staying with echinacea on #1. Are the leaves and the stem
"sandpapery"? And the stem tough? If it is echinacea, you should see
some buds before long.

What shape is the stem? Round or square?
Old 31-05-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Charlie expounded:

wrote:

Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from
seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that
these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't recognize
them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted them in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3 posts over.
It didn't up-load.

I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the snaps. It
was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified, I'll do better
next time.

- Bill

Are all the photos of the same plant, Bill?

The first one, shot from the top, looks like echinacea.

Hmmm
Charlie

Yea, I'd say the first one was echinacea. The rest????
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 31-05-2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from
seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that
these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't recognize
them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted them in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3 posts over.
It didn't up-load.

I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the snaps. It
was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified, I'll do better
next time.

- Bill

Some of us don't have access to binary newsgroups. It would be better to
post pictures at a site like www.photobucket.com. It's free, by the way.

Or tinypic. That one is easier to access.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 31-05-2007, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Wed, 30 May 2007 21:58:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from
seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that
these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't recognize
them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted them in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3 posts over.
It didn't up-load.

I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the snaps. It
was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified, I'll do better
next time.

- Bill

Some of us don't have access to binary newsgroups. It would be better to
post pictures at a site like www.photobucket.com. It's free, by the way.

I ain't trying to be prickly here, Joe....but when it comes to this
here internet thing, and *most* things anymore, they ain't no such
thing as free.

I'd be willin' to bet Photobucket doesn't particularly love ya', whadda
they get out of it?

They get something for you using their bandwith.

Hell, mebbe it's just me, but my Trust-O-Meter never registers very
high on these here Interweb things.

Ya' all Be Careful Out Here
Charlie

Old 31-05-2007, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I'm tempted to say that it is echinacea except that the pictures I've
seen of echinacea don't show the leaves to be exactly opposit of each
other, which is the case with my plant.
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pict...a-purpurea-9.h
tm
Otherwise, that's what it looks like except as I say that the leaves on
my plant are exactly opposite each other the next pair, up or down, are
at right angles to the first pair of leaves.

So, unless there is something else that looks like echinacea, then that
is what it must be. Funny, the one planted in the ground never came back
from last year.

Oh yeah Charlie, it has a roud, not square, stem.

- Bill
Old 31-05-2007, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

tinypic

I give up. I posted to tynypic with the tag "Bill's unknown herb . ."
and now I can't find them. Damn learning curves.
- Bill

Old 31-05-2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Wed, 30 May 2007 20:19:59 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

I'm tempted to say that it is echinacea except that the pictures I've
seen of echinacea don't show the leaves to be exactly opposit of each
other, which is the case with my plant.
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pict...a-purpurea-9.h
tm
Otherwise, that's what it looks like except as I say that the leaves on
my plant are exactly opposite each other the next pair, up or down, are
at right angles to the first pair of leaves.

So, unless there is something else that looks like echinacea, then that
is what it must be. Funny, the one planted in the ground never came back
from last year.

Oh yeah Charlie, it has a roud, not square, stem.

Hmmmm.......I'd go out with a torch and look about stem placement
except.........THE DAMN DOG KEEPS EATING IT OFF!!!!!!! At least she
doesn't dig for the good part. Tell ya what, a Dane can move a bunch
of soil in a hurry!

The two collies we used to have, they did the same thing.

They knwo what's good for them too.

Guess you are going to have to wait for the bloom. Or wait for someone
who really knows what they are about.

Charlie
Old 31-05-2007, 11:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from
seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that
these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't recognize
them so I don't think they are weeds. I posted them in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I had to do the last of the 3 posts over.
It didn't up-load.

I'd appreciate any help and I apologize for the quality of the snaps. It
was a rush job as usual. If they don't get identified, I'll do better
next time.

- Bill

3a looks like a mint on the left and maybe lavender or
tarragon on the right.

Brush your fingers on the leaves and see what those
plants smell like.

Mints normally (always?) have square stems.

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 31-05-2007, 12:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message
[...]

Let me put it this way: I put pictures there. The credit card never leaves
my wallet. I've never noticed if there's advertising, or whether they offer
other services which some people purchase. I get no junk email from them.
Sounds free to me.