Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Another interesting article

The box stores should worry. People want to eat locally.
Here's an article from Advertising Age, of all places.

One neat way to tell Big Oil to kiss off is to refuse
to buy food that has to be transported ridiculous distances.
That would also torque big, corporate agri-bidness, like
Monsanto, ADM and Cargill, with their GM food crops.

Talk is cheap -- the only thing that will get their attention
is how/where you decide to spend your money.

Farmstands Vs. Big Brands
With Consumers Interested in Locally Produced Goods, Marketers Scramble
to Get in on a Movement Going Mainstream

http://adage.com/article?article_id=116999

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

The box stores should worry. People want to eat locally.
Here's an article from Advertising Age, of all places.

One neat way to tell Big Oil to kiss off is to refuse
to buy food that has to be transported ridiculous distances.
That would also torque big, corporate agri-bidness, like
Monsanto, ADM and Cargill, with their GM food crops.

Talk is cheap -- the only thing that will get their attention
is how/where you decide to spend your money.

Farmstands Vs. Big Brands
With Consumers Interested in Locally Produced Goods, Marketers Scramble
to Get in on a Movement Going Mainstream

http://adage.com/article?article_id=116999

Jan

That reminds me, I need to hit our local farmers market more often.
I'm dying for some vine ripe tomatoes. ;-d

It's on Tuesday afternoons.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
That reminds me, I need to hit our local farmers market more often.
I'm dying for some vine ripe tomatoes. ;-d

It's on Tuesday afternoons.
--
Peace, Om

The farmer's market here is on Saturdays. I can't wait til the tomatoes I
planted are ready to be harvested(they took their sweet time sprouting,
'cept for the large red cherry tomato I planted on May30th, that sprouted a
day or two ago, which pleasantly surprised me). We only had cherry tomatoes
seeds(2 different varities) and roma tomato seeds, but I don't think this
household will need that many tomatoes, because A: I don't do well with raw
tomatoes(let's just say I found that out the hard way, but on the bright
side, I lost 4pounds!), just raw though, if they've been processed and such,
it doesn't bother me. Canned organic tomatoes are fine with me. Point B: My
mother who would be the one to eat the tomatoes has been staying in town
doing other stuff lately, so that means that there will be plenty to sell at
the farmer's market. I want my herbs to get their full growth too, because I
also wanna start making homemade pasta sauce to go with my homemade raviolis
stuffed with my herbed ricotta cheese mix. Tomorrow I gotta make a radish
patch and a beet patch and a carrot patch. And a couple more potato patches.
And use the chicken wire to protect them from the critters. Plus I wanna pot
some strawberries and lilac plants to sell as well. Oh and some of the wild
roses(they're gonna take over the flower area, small ones are popping up all
over).

Old 07-06-2007, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

The box stores should worry. People want to eat locally.
Here's an article from Advertising Age, of all places.

One neat way to tell Big Oil to kiss off is to refuse
to buy food that has to be transported ridiculous distances.
That would also torque big, corporate agri-bidness, like
Monsanto, ADM and Cargill, with their GM food crops.

Talk is cheap -- the only thing that will get their attention
is how/where you decide to spend your money.

Farmstands Vs. Big Brands
With Consumers Interested in Locally Produced Goods, Marketers Scramble
to Get in on a Movement Going Mainstream

http://adage.com/article?article_id=116999

Jan

That reminds me, I need to hit our local farmers market more often.
I'm dying for some vine ripe tomatoes. ;-d

It's on Tuesday afternoons.

Same for me. Sat. 8 AM to 12 PM. Support our local farmers. You might
want to email your congressperson and let them know what you think of
the proposed immigration law. Definitely let them know what you think
about bringing our troops home.

- Bill
Old 07-06-2007, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:29:07 -0900, Jan Flora
wrote:

The box stores should worry. People want to eat locally.
Here's an article from Advertising Age, of all places.

One neat way to tell Big Oil to kiss off is to refuse
to buy food that has to be transported ridiculous distances.
That would also torque big, corporate agri-bidness, like
Monsanto, ADM and Cargill, with their GM food crops.

Talk is cheap -- the only thing that will get their attention
is how/where you decide to spend your money.

Farmstands Vs. Big Brands
With Consumers Interested in Locally Produced Goods, Marketers Scramble
to Get in on a Movement Going Mainstream

http://adage.com/article?article_id=116999

Jan

Great idea. We grow lemons here, how many can I eat. And you don't
get any if you don't live here.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

The box stores should worry. People want to eat locally.
Here's an article from Advertising Age, of all places.

One neat way to tell Big Oil to kiss off is to refuse
to buy food that has to be transported ridiculous distances.
That would also torque big, corporate agri-bidness, like
Monsanto, ADM and Cargill, with their GM food crops.

Talk is cheap -- the only thing that will get their attention
is how/where you decide to spend your money.

Farmstands Vs. Big Brands
With Consumers Interested in Locally Produced Goods, Marketers Scramble
to Get in on a Movement Going Mainstream

http://adage.com/article?article_id=116999

Jan

From Ellen Goodman's June 1 column.

.. . . I have seared into my memory the fact that every item on my plate
has traveled an average of 1,500 miles to get there. Some 85 cents of
our food dollars go to processors, manufacturers, and transporters who
make up the food industry, a phrase that used to be an oxymoron.

This year's proselytizing comes in a highly digestible form.

In her book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," Barbara Kingsolver tells the
engaging story of the year her family ate locally, mostly food they
raised themselves.

"Transporting a single calorie of a perishable fresh fruit from
California to New York takes about 87 calories' worth of fuel. . . .

-------

Think Globally, Eat Locally

- Billy