Old 16-06-2007, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default bee question

Where I live, we are surrounded by turkey and hog houses: literally - the
closest "people" house is 1 mile away. The bees have all disappeared around
here too. Now the powers that be at the turkey & hog houses have to put out
fly bait for the flys. The last couple of years the flys have increased
while the bees (of all varieties) have decreased. Could it be that the flys
have become immune to the bait while the bees have become susceptible to it?
Or might it all be stemming from where the county sprays for the 'skeeters'?

just my musings.........any opinions?

Rae

Old 16-06-2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Rachael Simpson wrote:
Where I live, we are surrounded by turkey and hog houses: literally - the
closest "people" house is 1 mile away. The bees have all disappeared around
here too. Now the powers that be at the turkey & hog houses have to put out
fly bait for the flys. The last couple of years the flys have increased
while the bees (of all varieties) have decreased. Could it be that the flys
have become immune to the bait while the bees have become susceptible to it?
Or might it all be stemming from where the county sprays for the 'skeeters'?

just my musings.........any opinions?

Rae

Most mosquito spraying, at least in my area, is done at night. Bees only
fly during daylight hours. Unless the spray truck is blowing the mist
directly on the bee hives or hollow trees it shouldn't affect the bees.
I would bet more on colony collapse disease as opposed to either of the
two you mention.

George

Old 16-06-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:53:53 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"
wrote:

Where I live, we are surrounded by turkey and hog houses: literally - the
closest "people" house is 1 mile away. The bees have all disappeared around
here too. Now the powers that be at the turkey & hog houses have to put out
fly bait for the flys. The last couple of years the flys have increased
while the bees (of all varieties) have decreased. Could it be that the flys
have become immune to the bait while the bees have become susceptible to it?
Or might it all be stemming from where the county sprays for the 'skeeters'?

just my musings.........any opinions?

Rae

The jury is still out, but the best bet is that all the cell phone
towers are messing with the bees navigation and they just don't make
it back home with food.

Old 16-06-2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"HomerS" wrote in message

SNIP

The jury is still out, but the best bet is that all the cell phone
towers are messing with the bees navigation and they just don't make
it back home with food.

no cell phone towers around here - you're lucky if you can get a signal at
all

Old 16-06-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Where I live, we are surrounded by turkey and hog houses: literally - the
closest "people" house is 1 mile away. The bees have all disappeared around
here too. Now the powers that be at the turkey & hog houses have to put out
fly bait for the flys. The last couple of years the flys have increased
while the bees (of all varieties) have decreased. Could it be that the flys
have become immune to the bait while the bees have become susceptible to it?
Or might it all be stemming from where the county sprays for the 'skeeters'?

just my musings.........any opinions?

Rae

The jury is still out, but the best bet is that all the cell phone
towers are messing with the bees navigation and they just don't make
it back home with food.

Hi Rachael, electromagnetic fields might have something to do with it,
as might poisons in the fly bait but it doesn't explain (to me anyway)
why the bees left in the hive have multiple infections. It's like the
bees have AIDS. Even predators of bees won't attack the unguarded hive.

I've tried to be more proactive this year by planting sweet alyssum to
attract bees. Some people sat though that the bees will come if there
are flowers for them so it may be a waste of time but they are kind of
pretty, so what the heck.

Besides the odor, I've heard that these livestock concentration camps
can foul the ground water with their effluent. Don't want to make you
paranoid but you may want to look into it.

To you and yours,
- Billy

Old 16-06-2007, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy Rose" wrote in message

Hi Rachael, electromagnetic fields might have something to do with it,
as might poisons in the fly bait but it doesn't explain (to me anyway)
why the bees left in the hive have multiple infections. It's like the
bees have AIDS. Even predators of bees won't attack the unguarded hive.

I've tried to be more proactive this year by planting sweet alyssum to
attract bees. Some people sat though that the bees will come if there
are flowers for them so it may be a waste of time but they are kind of
pretty, so what the heck.

Besides the odor, I've heard that these livestock concentration camps
can foul the ground water with their effluent. Don't want to make you
paranoid but you may want to look into it.

To you and yours,
- Billy

Oh trust me, I already know about the water! Some days our water smells soo
bad. I use bottled water for the baby's milk formula and don't use the
house water for drinking straight from the tap. All water gets boiled
before I make tea or anything like that. Thankfully, we don't have to deal
with the air odors much - just when the loaded trucks go by the house during
the moving times and then the odor only lasts a few minutes. But the flies
from the houses are another story. Everytime the door is opened, 50 or so
more come in the house, or the truck, or the van..........oh well - you get
the picture................it's sure not pretty with all the flies.

Back to you!
Rae aka Rachael

Old 16-06-2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lar Lar is offline

Rachael Simpson wrote:
Where I live, we are surrounded by turkey and hog houses: literally - the
closest "people" house is 1 mile away. The bees have all disappeared around
here too. Now the powers that be at the turkey & hog houses have to put out
fly bait for the flys. The last couple of years the flys have increased
while the bees (of all varieties) have decreased. Could it be that the flys
have become immune to the bait while the bees have become susceptible to it?
Or might it all be stemming from where the county sprays for the 'skeeters'?

just my musings.........any opinions?

Rae

Can't say I have ever seen bees attracted to the fly baits so don't
think that would be a connection. Cycles of limited bee disappearance is
nothing new. It has gone by a number of names such as spring dwindle,
May disease, disappearing disease, autumn collapse and fall dwindle
disease documented as far back as the late 1800's.

Lar
Old 16-06-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:46:48 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"
wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message

[...]

Boiling is great for killing bacteria. However it does NOT help at
all with all the heavy metals fouling our water supplies. You need
something better and a filter alone is still dangerous.

Please get you a reverse osmosis system and only use that for
drinking. You can pick one up on ebay for about $120 and it lasts
for years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-MAXIMU...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 16-06-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"Billy Rose" wrote in message

[...]

Will consider, but that kinda money is hard to some by these
days...............

Old 17-06-2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Where I live, we are surrounded by turkey and hog houses: literally - the
closest "people" house is 1 mile away. The bees have all disappeared around
here too. Now the powers that be at the turkey & hog houses have to put out
fly bait for the flys. The last couple of years the flys have increased
while the bees (of all varieties) have decreased. Could it be that the flys
have become immune to the bait while the bees have become susceptible to it?
Or might it all be stemming from where the county sprays for the 'skeeters'?

just my musings.........any opinions?

Rae

The jury is still out, but the best bet is that all the cell phone
towers are messing with the bees navigation and they just don't make
it back home with food.

The cell phone idea was based on faulty evidence and has been thrown out
as a cause to the problem.

..

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

Old 17-06-2007, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message
Where I live, we are surrounded by turkey and hog houses: literally - the
closest "people" house is 1 mile away. The bees have all disappeared
around here too. Now the powers that be at the turkey & hog houses have
to put out fly bait for the flys. The last couple of years the flys have
increased while the bees (of all varieties) have decreased. Could it be
that the flys have become immune to the bait while the bees have become
susceptible to it? Or might it all be stemming from where the county
sprays for the 'skeeters'?

just my musings.........any opinions?

Rae

Straight up, I don't know. Based on everything I've seen in the past 4
decades, I would venture a man-made problem that originates for something
for his convenience. Something overlooked or ignored during testing of
same.
Dave

Old 17-06-2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Hi All,
I do know that if you site a beehive under high voltage pylons they are not
very happy, and tend to be bad tempered. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 18-06-2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 6/17/07 10:23 AM, in article , "R
M. Watkin" wrote:

I do know that if you site a beehive under high voltage pylons they are not
very happy, and tend to be bad tempered. hope this helps you.

How do you know that?

Bill
-- Support the troops. Impeach Bush. Oh, I forgot about Cheney.

Old 19-06-2007, 06:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I have lots of bees. Southern Ca. must be where they are all going. They
like the weather.

Old 19-06-2007, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi All,
"Salmon Egg" wrote in message
On 6/17/07 10:23 AM, in article ,
"R
M. Watkin" wrote:

I do know that if you site a beehive under high voltage pylons they are
not
very happy, and tend to be bad tempered. hope this helps you.

How do you know that?

Because I used to keep bees.

Richard M. Watkin.