Old 06-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Registered User

Red face Windowsill Watermelon

Hey guys, i'm new here, and I'm also new to growing things, this is my first attempt and i'm lost.

Basically, i'm trying to grow a watermelon plant (?) on my windowsil (for now..) I don't have a greenhouse or any kind of outdoor place to grow it, apart from a small garden). I started by reading a few guides on how to plant the seeds and I have some small plants growing now. Here are some pictures.

http://ihasaseed.com/a4/dom/watermelon/DSCF5991.JPG
http://ihasaseed.com/a4/dom/watermelon/DSCF5992.JPG
http://ihasaseed.com/a4/dom/watermelon/DSCF5994.JPG

(I didn't want to link the actual images in the thread because they're about 1000x750res)

Im now wondering where to go from here, do I move them to a bigger pot, to somewhere bigger or will they be fine where they are for now? I've been watering them about once or twice a week (as I read on a few guides online).

Thanks for your help in advance.

(by the way, i'm living in north east of england, where at the moment the temprature is around 17-23°c)

- Dom
Old 07-08-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Windowsill Watermelon

http://tinyurl.com/ysqpylhttp://tiny...url.com/22t62t

--
Domje

Don't know if you'll get enough sun or heat to expect watermelons.
Are there local farmers who grow them there?

You can cut down the seedlings leaving 2 strongest ones and also move
to a larger pot or into the garden. If nothing else you'll have some
nice looking leaves.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
On Aug 6, 12:09 pm, Domje wrote:
[...]

.................................................. ...........

Im not entirely sure about local farmers, but I think there are, as they sell them on the local market in my town.

if watermelon wasn't a good thing to start on what would you recommend, I would quite like to grow my own veg, not indoors, but maybe in my garden or something, not tomatos though, but maybe some other fruit/veg.

thanks
Old 08-08-2007, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Domje" wrote in message
news
if watermelon wasn't a good thing to start on what would you recommend,
I would quite like to grow my own veg, not indoors, but maybe in my
garden or something, not tomatos though, but maybe some other
fruit/veg.

thanks

How big is your garden? What veggies do you like?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Registered User

Garden is this size...
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7637/dscf5995pi6.jpg

I like pretty much all veggies really,

Old 09-08-2007, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Domje" wrote in message
news

'Manelli Family[_3_ Wrote:
;737443']"Domje" wrote in message
news if watermelon wasn't a good thing to start on what would you
recommend,
I would quite like to grow my own veg, not indoors, but maybe in my
garden or something, not tomatos though, but maybe some other
fruit/veg.

thanks-

How big is your garden? What veggies do you like?

Garden is this size...
http://tinyurl.com/2cpv7p

I like pretty much all veggies really,

You have the space for a few peppers, some beets, Swiss chard, a few
collards.... you have space for a small variery of veggies. :0)

--
Domje

Old 14-08-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Basically, i'm trying to grow a watermelon plant

You have gotten a good start. Those look like healthy watermelon
seedlings (perhaps a little low on light, based on the tall stems),
and you can transplant them or thin them (having them stay that
closely crowded together won't work very well).

However, I'm not sure you'll get any fruit between now and when it
gets too cold or too dark. You can always try, and if nothing else
you'll get an interesting looking plant. But next year, start in the
spring with the watermelon.

As for what else to grow starting now, what springs to mind is cool
weather crops - chard, lettuce, spinach, carrots, beets. Maybe even
peas (here in Washington, DC they do better in the spring than the
fall, I'm told, because the vines take cold better than the pods, but
England might have a mild enough fall to be different). The main
challenge with many of those is getting them started now, while it is
still (relatively) hot. But if the seeds come up, you should be set.
If the seed packet says "80 days" and you start now, you should be
harvesting around the end of October or start of November. That
should be fine for the kinds of things I've listed here, which don't
need quite as much sun and heat as, say, a pepper.

I would generally aim to grow your vegetables outside (once they are
started anyway). While there are vegetables you can grow indoors, the
greater sun which is available in your garden will generally make it
easier (or in some cases, possible).
Old 19-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kingdon View Post
[...]

thanks for that really informative reply. I quite like the idea of peas and beets, and also spinach, I don't really like lettuce, thanks for the help anyway