Old 25-10-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Harvesting Beet Greens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Om, I didn't say fast food restaurants, I said supermarkets. I doubt
that avocados are grown in Texas, so they must come from Florida or
California. If they are grown in Texas, though, you would do the
neighborhood proud by buying them. The problem is that the profits from
"Wally World" leave Texas, leaving the area that much poorer. If you buy
from a neighbor, the money will circulate locally.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Sorry, misunderstood.

I do occasionally purchase from Farmers Market (when I remember to go)
but local produce stands are rare, and we don't have a good butcher shop
here in town.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 25-10-2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

If you buy
from a neighbor, the money will circulate locally.

If the neighbor sold decent milk I would.

As for buy locally, I do, as much as possible. Some of us already
have the message, Billy.

As much as possible being the key.

Old 25-10-2007, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

If you buy
from a neighbor, the money will circulate locally.

If the neighbor sold decent milk I would.

As for buy locally, I do, as much as possible. Some of us already
have the message, Billy.

It's OK. I was just spreading the message to the rest of you, Ann. No
need to thank me;-)

--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 25-10-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

The problem is that the profits from
"Wally World" leave (the local area), leaving the area that much poorer. If you buy
from a neighbor, the money will circulate locally.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Sorry, misunderstood.

I do occasionally purchase from Farmers Market (when I remember to go)
but local produce stands are rare, and we don't have a good butcher shop
here in town.

Buying locally is just good for the area because it increases local
employment (improves taxes and local infrastructure), reduces the chance
of contamination (inherent in long distance transportation), allows
local farmers to produce diverse crops (which improves their income and
their soil) and the food tastes better.

Independent butcher shops, in this area of a half million people, are
usually found in rural areas, not in the shopping hubs. The tricks that
are played with meat can make you sick. Vacuum bags of pork ribs are
injected with ozone to make the meat look fresh. Aged hams are
cosmetically treated and re-offered as picnic hams. Nitrates are used to
make meat look fresh. According to Michael Pollan, animals finished with
grain are bad for you (omega-6/omega-3), where as the grass feed version
of the same meat is health neutral to beneficial.

Then you can wash it all down with a Texas Hill Country wine,
http://www.texaswinetrail.com/map.html . You live in the Hill country,
if I remember correctly.

Ever since I discovered Schultz's Weingarten in Austin and Fredricksburg
on the Internet, I've wanted to visit. Speaking of which, no good
butchers in Fredricksburg or New (Neu) Braunfels? Das ist ganz traurig.

Oh, and the people who already have the message could do us all some
good, if they could whoop the message up a little.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 25-10-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Schultz's Weingarten

Big whoops here. Make that Shultz's Biergarten. (Shultz is spelled
differently too). Anyway, rec.garden.edible, rec.garten.bier, everything
is good.

Old 26-10-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
Steve wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:20:45 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Buying locally is just good for the area because it increases local
employment (improves taxes and local infrastructure), reduces the chance
of contamination (inherent in long distance transportation), allows
local farmers to produce diverse crops (which improves their income and
their soil) and the food tastes better.

You know Billy, I'm on your side but only one of those statements is
fact. All of the others are geo/demo relative or just plain
inaccurate.

OK. I already covered local buying which doubles the value of the
purchase to the local economy (New Economics Foundation,"Local Food
Better for Rural Economy than Supermarket Shopping" [press release],
London, UK. 7 August 2001).

Walter Goldschmdt's 1947 book "As You Sow: Three Studies in the Social
Consequences of Agribusiness" as summarized in Peter Barnes (ed.)The
People's Land: A reader on Land reform in the United States, Rodale
Press, 1975. Refers to increased economic viability in farm towns where
farm sizes are smaller and cater to local buyers, which has an
amplifying effect of increased goods and services being sold and the
ameliorating influence that it has on local infrastructure.

I can't find the quote that I want for long distance food contamination
so let me substitute "Is Your Food Contaminated?", Mark Frischetti,
Scientific American, September, 2007.

Using crop rotation requires fewer inputs (less petroleum products),
which will improve the land. It allows greater diversity, which offers
its' own protection to the farmer because he is not dependent (make or
break) on one crop. If the farmer can do his/her own sales or
distribution, they receive more than the 7 cents on the dollar that the
monoculture farmers get.

And lastly, it must be obvious that fresher food tastes better.

I gave up with the footnotes because it's time for my beauty nap.

I await you response as to where I jumped the tracks.

Old 26-10-2007, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Billy expounded:

Oh, and the people who already have the message could do us all some
good, if they could whoop the message up a little

Many of us do, but not to the point of being adversarial or obnoxious.
It doesn't do a cause any good if you turn off your audience ;-
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 26-10-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

Oh, and the people who already have the message could do us all some
good, if they could whoop the message up a little

Many of us do, but not to the point of being adversarial or obnoxious.
It doesn't do a cause any good if you turn off your audience ;-

Ann, you don't have to pick a fight. You already have.

Old 26-10-2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Billy expounded:

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

Oh, and the people who already have the message could do us all some
good, if they could whoop the message up a little

Many of us do, but not to the point of being adversarial or obnoxious.
It doesn't do a cause any good if you turn off your audience ;-

Ann, you don't have to pick a fight. You already have.

I've never picked a fight with you, Billy, but you can't say the same.
The sad thing is we're on the same page on so many things, but you
just can't let anything go.
Old 26-10-2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy expounded:

Oh, and the people who already have the message could do us all some
good, if they could whoop the message up a little

Many of us do, but not to the point of being adversarial or obnoxious.
It doesn't do a cause any good if you turn off your audience ;-

Ann, you don't have to pick a fight. You already have.

I've never picked a fight with you, Billy, but you can't say the same.
The sad thing is we're on the same page on so many things, but you
just can't let anything go.

I have. You.

Old 26-10-2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Billy expounded:

I have. You.

Yea, right.
Old 26-10-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ann wrote:
Billy expounded:

I have. You.

Yea, right.

you guys are "beeting" a dead horse.
Old 26-10-2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

doofy expounded:

you guys are "beeting" a dead horse.

How right you are! On the other hand, I picked a nice bunch of beets
this morning to share with a friend. Golden, Chioggia, Red Ace and
Forono. Yum!
Old 26-10-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

doofy wrote:
Ann wrote:
Billy expounded:

I have. You.

Yea, right.

you guys are "beeting" a dead horse.

Sorry y'all...I like ya both, but I'm with doofy on this one...

running away & ducking back into my safe haven now...LOL!
Old 27-10-2007, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Indeed. :-)
Mom and I travelled the winery trails a couple of times.
I recommend Cana Cellars.

Ever since I discovered Schultz's Weingarten in Austin and Fredricksburg
on the Internet, I've wanted to visit. Speaking of which, no good
butchers in Fredricksburg or New (Neu) Braunfels? Das ist ganz traurig.

lol I said IN TOWN! :-)
There is Granzin's in New Braunfels that I have yet to try, but have
been encouraged to do so by more than one source.

My preference is to purchase 1/2 of a local range fed cow when I have
the money and the space.