Old 12-11-2007, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I ate another beet

Thanks...Omelet?...whoever gave me the cooking suggestion. Just steamed
the other beet I pulled, with the greens, added some butter. Muy delicioso.
Old 13-11-2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Thanks...Omelet?...whoever gave me the cooking suggestion. Just steamed
the other beet I pulled, with the greens, added some butter. Muy delicioso.

I think there were two of us that made similar suggestions. :-)

Glad you liked it! I've found most often that with fresh produce, simple
is best!

Broccoli and carrots, for instance, are most often steamed as is with no
additions and served for one to simply salt lightly to taste.

Gingered carrots are good too, but I think I like them plain the best!
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 15-11-2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 11, 7:56 pm, doofy wrote:
Thanks...Omelet?...whoever gave me the cooking suggestion. Just steamed
the other beet I pulled, with the greens, added some butter. Muy delicioso.

If you decide to get a little more complicated, Try braising the beet
or wet roasting it in a pan, preferably glass (aluminum will react
with the acids). With sliced onions, a couple of splashes of balsamic
or sherry vinegar, depending on the amount of beets. Add some white
or black peppercorns, a bay leaf, a coulple pinches of kosher salt, a
splash of extra virgin olive oil and water to cover about half way up
the beet. Cover with foil and roast at 350F until when a fork pierces
the beet, slides right off. These are so good in salads with goat
cheese and spinach or watercress.

You may be able to harvest more beets if you plan on only letting them
go to a baby size or thinning them out and harvesting some as baby's
and then letting the others go the full season to a larger size.

Let me know if you like it!
Lee

I ate a beet doofy Edible Gardening 29 23-11-2007 05:55 PM
Intro and beet question Leslie Gardening 5 21-07-2003 09:03 PM
Red Beet wont grow Herbert Snowden Edible Gardening 4 20-05-2003 07:44 PM
Beet Seeds Not Germinating Pat Meadows Edible Gardening 14 11-05-2003 11:32 PM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 12:33 PM