Old 23-11-2007, 03:41 AM
Registered User

Unhappy should i cover my raised garden boxes?

as some of u know im from southwestern ontario. zone 5b.
i did finally manage to get two 4 by 8 raised garden boxes built but
never got them planted until later in the year.
the thing i am wondering now though is what to do with them
for the winter. some people have said i should tarp them, others
have said just leave them.
so my question is should i cover my raised garden boxes as i do
not have a lot of leaves that i can gather up to cover them or
should i just leave them as they are?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . cyaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 23-11-2007, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default should i cover my raised garden boxes?

In article ,
sockiescat wrote:

as some of u know im from southwestern ontario. zone 5b.
i did finally manage to get two 4 by 8 raised garden boxes built but
never got them planted until later in the year.
the thing i am wondering now though is what to do with them
for the winter. some people have said i should tarp them, others
have said just leave them.
so my question is should i cover my raised garden boxes as i do
not have a lot of leaves that i can gather up to cover them or
should i just leave them as they are?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . cyaaaaa, sockiescat.

Cover them or not but if you want soil for organic gardening, feed it
mulch and/or compost. If you are going to be doing chemical gardening,
then it doesn't matter.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 30-11-2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

On Nov 22, 10:41 pm, sockiescat sockiescat.
wrote:
as some of u know im from southwestern ontario. zone 5b.
i did finally manage to get two 4 by 8 raised garden boxes built but
never got them planted until later in the year.
the thing i am wondering now though is what to do with them
for the winter. some people have said i should tarp them, others
have said just leave them.
so my question is should i cover my raised garden boxes as i do
not have a lot of leaves that i can gather up to cover them or
should i just leave them as they are?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . cyaaaaa, sockiescat.

--
sockiescat

I just leave mine, but in the growing season I use plastic mulch to
cover them, with holes every half foot or so where I stick the plants,
to keep the weeds out. If you don't, you might want to cover it in the
offseason to eliminate picking up weed seeds, although it might not
make a difference. But as for the soil itself and the box, no problem.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

My My My .... I posted the same question myself last year.
So ... I have to say, do great minds think alike?

When you cover your box you will create an extremely beautiful dry home
for all those cute cuddly mice. The mice will love you

Enjoy Life ....... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Registered User

Smile

Dan L.;762930]In article
,

wrote:
[...]

yup great minds do think alike lol. thanks for the information everyone its greatly appreciated. one thing i am not going to do for sure is cover those boxes. geeshhh who needs mice i dont thanks we get them in the fall in the house here on the farm without needing more yuckkk.
i will however make sure to add compost and whatever else i can to improve the conditon of the soil as well as use a covering to help keep weeds down in the spring .
once again thanks for the information. cyaaaaaaa, sockiescat.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

On Nov 30, 7:27 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

'Tis true; I did have the wee beasties take up residence under plastic
one winter.