Old 26-12-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Happy Solstice

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/24/07 1:30 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/23/07 5:48 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

What's your pleasure? I like Remy, but haven't had some in the house in
quite a while

I'm not real fussy. Lately it has been Landy ($15) or Remy "Petit
Champagne" ($19). For something similar that is domestic
(Germain-Robin), I'd be looking at at least $30. But after the holidays
it will be back to Jaques Bonnet ($8.69) and my budget:-(

Alles Gute,

Well, I got really spoiled in college - lots of bad beers/wine/liquor and
then was introduced to the good stuff. I'll buy the good stuff and eke it
out; and do without if I need the $$$ for some kid related expense.

Cheryl

I like to think that I have a paisano attitude towards my table. The
bread and the wine don't have to be gold medal winners, but it has to be
there. Cheap-skate oenophiles also take great pride in finding under
priced wines, and buying them by the cases to hold them over until the
next discovery. Then comes the question of good and gooder. Chateau
Ausone sells for $800/btl but would I enjoy it 130 times more than the
little Bordeaux and Cotes du Rhone that I enjoy at $5/btl? Lastly there
is the question of gourmet vs. gourmand. I, wholeheartedly, embrace the
later group. It would appear that you are a member of the former;-)

Allons voir, si le vin est bon.

Joyeux Noel et une Bonne Annee

Actually, for me, wine price doesn't always equal taste (in fact on the
night in question, my $5 bottle was much nicer than either of the 2 $15
bottles). But when it comes to my cognac or single malts, the equation is
much more linear to a point (around $50). The difference between a 12 year
old and 15 year old scotch is amazing.

Age in the barrel can make good distillate great. In 1990, in Gascony,
we drank 15 yr. old Armagnac for $20/btl and it was heavenly. The
Armagnac I have found in the US, I would only use for liniment. In 1999,
the price for two glasses of the 20 yr. old Fine Champagne Cognac at a
little restaurant in Paris, cost more than the meal that preceded it.
I've never checked it out but I am told that because Calvados is not a
big seller, that it is possible to find farmers who have barrels of 100
year old Calvados out in their barns:-o Next time.

At one point in my life I could justify the prices for such excesses as
tuition, but I know it now, and I can no longer justify the price, not
that I don't appreciate it, when it is offered.

The problem is that price isn't an indicator of quality. The really good
stuff is always expensive but more often than not price is based on
reputation, packaging, or nothing. Conversely, occasionally, quality can
be found among the plonk. Gallo, Korbel, and Christian Bros. brandy I
reserve for cooking.

Next monday evening will find my liver and I (and my sweetie) ensconced
in front of our wood burning stove, bravely facing what will probably be
another year of national disasters, and hoping for a few personal
triumphs (no matter how small).

Let's rock.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102577/Half-Strongly-
Disapprove-Bush-Job-Performance.aspx

Old 27-12-2007, 10:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
Happy Solstice :-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102577/Half-Strongly-
Disapprove-Bush-Job-Performance.aspx

For many, a time for self-reflection.
Careful when examining the core of your beliefs. You may not emerge the
same person.
Dave

Old 27-12-2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , "Dioclese" NONE
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
Happy Solstice :-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102577/Half-Strongly-
Disapprove-Bush-Job-Performance.aspx

For many, a time for self-reflection.
Careful when examining the core of your beliefs. You may not emerge the
same person.
Dave

Especially if you meditate with specific herbals. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 27-12-2007, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , "Dioclese" NONE
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
Happy Solstice :-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102577/Half-Strongly-
Disapprove-Bush-Job-Performance.aspx

For many, a time for self-reflection.

You mean about what happens between the dust and the ashes? Egotism
mostly;-)

I have learned that I no longer need to punish, deceive, or compromise
myself, unless I want to stay employed.

Careful when examining the core of your beliefs.

I'm more of a spectator, an agnostic. I know when I'm in love, or happy,
or cold, or tired, or hungry, ect. The rest of the stuff seems kinda
iffy (IMHO).

You may not emerge the same person.

I haven't been the same person for quite some time. More over, there
seem to be a number of personalities in here and they all say they are
me. There is the one who wants to get into shape. There is the one who
likes to eat and drink. There is the one who wants to be strong and
brave, and there is the one who wants to lock the doors, and line the
walls with sandbags, ect. Whenever I open my mouth, I am constantly
surprised at who shows up to voice their (my) opinion.

Dave

Good goin' Dave. I just self-reflected;-)

Happy Hol . . . uh,

Yuletide Season :-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102577/Half-Strongly-
Disapprove-Bush-Job-Performance.aspx

happy, happy, happy David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 12-01-2010 06:32 AM
Happy Solstice Billy[_4_] Gardening 33 27-12-2007 07:20 PM
Happy Solstice Pat Brennan Orchids 10 21-12-2004 11:58 PM
Happy Solstice madgardener Gardening 8 24-12-2003 02:14 PM
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday... Reka Orchids 4 05-04-2003 11:32 PM