Old 23-12-2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Happy Solstice

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/22/07 12:52 PM, in article
, "Frank"
frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Billy wrote:
Happy Solstice :-)

Short day means long night - for drinking

Don't mention drinking - not after that last bottle we opened last
night
-
after three excellent merlots, the fourth was a dog and I have a
tight
head
now...
Fortunately, I never drink too much. I pass out first.

Vitamin B-12.
And Milk Thistle. ;-)

Not that I would know but you might try niacin. It maintain the levels
of alcohol dehydrogenase, the first step in detoxifying, uh, so I've
been told;-)

Niacin... shudders

Do some googling for studies on Milk Thistle.
It's better and it's not just anecdotal.

Calm sweet lady, it is more than antidotal.

http://cms.skidmore.edu/health/educa...alcohol-and-nu
trition.cfm

Alcohol abuse is no joke. I know that. ;-)

First, we are having some fun here and perhaps exaggerating a bit.

Ethanol is great fun for some of us, and a catastrophe for others. Some
of us rejoice in it, at the peril of others. I work in wineries.
Needless to say, there are no alcoholics. I don't say that derisively,
if you have that weakness, you can't function in a winery. I don't wish
to exalt ethanol. All I can say is that it is fun for ME. Hell, your the
one who doesn't want to be PC. That's all:-)

But there are (imho) many more that tend to depend on it for relaxation
whether or not they want to admit it to themselves. Therefore,
nutritional support is a very good idea and not hard to accomplish.
Vitamin B complex, Milk thistle and other anti-oxidants are beneficial.

"Functional alcoholism" is second only to caffeine addiction as a very
common factor in ill health in the US, and perhaps a good part of the
world.

Except for maybe sugar addiction.

I tried to grow some milk thistle this year but it fell victim to the
"hounds from hell". We have a long front fence and the unfortunate plant
laid along the shortest trajectory from one end of the fence to the
other. Trample, trample, trample.

Sounds like you have a Border Collie, or something similar. g I do too.
Fortunately, it's not expensive to purchase.

What was it that Hunter Thompson said, "Some people think of their
bodies as temples. I think of mine as an amusement park."

lol

A line from the movie "S.W.A.T." iirc. :-)

Laisse le bon temps roulé.

Happy solstice :-)

Indeed! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 23-12-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/22/07 10:50 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/22/07 3:35 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Billy wrote:
Happy Solstice :-)

Short day means long night - for drinking

Don't mention drinking - not after that last bottle we opened last night
-
after three excellent merlots, the fourth was a dog and I have a tight
head
now...
Fortunately, I never drink too much. I pass out first.

Vitamin B-12.
And Milk Thistle. ;-)

Not that I would know but you might try niacin. It maintain the levels
of alcohol dehydrogenase, the first step in detoxifying, uh, so I've
been told;-)

I assumed you never entered de-tox.

I rarely have more than a glass or two of anything. And that last bottle
didn't seem to be the quality of the first two. That's my position and I'm
sticking to it...

That is why you start with the best wine first. With any luck , you
won't notice any defects in the last wine:-)
Conversely, you may not appreciate the good qualities of the good wine,
if it is served last.

Actually, it went good bottle (a split), decent bottle, really good bottle
(just by accident) and then that not so good one...

So, just to make sure we have our nomenclature straight, you started
with a 187 ml bottle of bubbly and, then proceeded on to three 750 ml
bottles?

At the risk of appearing a wee bit of a debaucher, I have noticed, that
with advancing age, on those occasions when I open more than three
bottles, that invariably one of them is off. I know this because the
next day I feel like hell.

Anyway, the Holiday Season is looming in the headlights. It will soon be
past us. So if you are going to be imprudent, the next eight days offer
the best window of opportunity. So, "laisse le bon temps roule". Your
most embarrassing event of the year will be over and you can settle back
in to your comfortable and predictable habits.

Yeah, Brothers and Sisters, don't forget the parable of Mark Twain and
his Aunt Hattie. Mark had been laid low, very low, and was up close to
death's door, when the doctor said,"too many children jumping on the
bed". Uh, ah, humm, actually that's another story. What the doctor said
was, "Mark, you gotta cut out your smokin', an' drinkin', and swearin'
or you're gonna' die". Well sir, for a while Mark cut out his drinkin',
an' smokin', and swearin' and, in good time, he was restored to health.

Shortly afterwards, Mark's Aunt Hattie came down with the exact same
symptoms as Mark had had. Mark rushed to her bedside to comfort her, and
told her the very same thing as the doctor had told him. Aunt Hattie,
Mark said,"You you gotta cut out your smokin', an' drinkin', and
swearin' Aunt Hattie or you're gonna' die". Aunt Hattie gave Mark a
sharp look and said, "Mark, you know I don't smoke, or drink, or
swear". Well the up-shot of it all was that Aunt Hattie died.

The moral of the parable is that it's good to have ballast that you can
throw overboard in bad times :-)

Now, if the cognac will just last until January.

Happy New Year (Winter Solstice to Winter Solstice)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102577/Half-Strongly-
Disapprove-Bush-Job-Performance.aspx

Old 23-12-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Sounds like you have a Border Collie, or something similar. g I do too.
Fortunately, it's not expensive to purchase.

Right on, right on. A McNabb he is (a short haired border collie). Black
and white in motion. When he runs out of hill, he continues rising for
another three or four steps. Considering his foster sister is twice his
size (ein Schaferhund), it is good that he can out run her.

They are both very intelligent. What irritates me is when they (a.k.a.
"Hounds from Hell") sit together and whisper to each other, while
looking at me, and chuckling all the while.

Old 23-12-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/22/07 10:50 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/22/07 3:35 PM, in article
,
"Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

Glogg

1 qt Dry Red Wine
1 qt Port Wine
1 Cup raisins
3 T Orange Peel
3 Cardamon seeds crushed
9 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon
1 1/2 cup Aquavit
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup Almonds
3 whole figs

Rest 13 hours

Serve Warm . You can use Rye if the fire of life aka Aquavit is not
about. I make it with Tawny port.

Below a bit of more info as there is always more.

http://www.manitouheights.com/rms/gloegg.shtml

Good Yul!

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound
Old 23-12-2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Sounds like you have a Border Collie, or something similar. g I do too.
Fortunately, it's not expensive to purchase.

Right on, right on. A McNabb he is (a short haired border collie). Black
and white in motion. When he runs out of hill, he continues rising for
another three or four steps. Considering his foster sister is twice his
size (ein Schaferhund), it is good that he can out run her.

They never stop moving. g

They are both very intelligent. What irritates me is when they (a.k.a.
"Hounds from Hell") sit together and whisper to each other, while
looking at me, and chuckling all the while.

;-)

Jewely's yard companion is a Pembroke Corgie.

Old 23-12-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On 12/23/07 12:08 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/22/07 10:50 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/22/07 3:35 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

No -the split was a merlot in "convenience size" with one neighbor, prior to
dinner, the rest with 5 neighbors after dinner....
At the risk of appearing a wee bit of a debaucher, I have noticed, that
with advancing age, on those occasions when I open more than three
bottles, that invariably one of them is off. I know this because the
next day I feel like hell.

Anyway, the Holiday Season is looming in the headlights. It will soon be
past us. So if you are going to be imprudent, the next eight days offer
the best window of opportunity. So, "laisse le bon temps roule". Your
most embarrassing event of the year will be over and you can settle back
in to your comfortable and predictable habits.

I'm not likely to have anything beyond a little scotch on Xmas Eve for a
while - this was highly unusual for me

[...]

Snicker - lot

Now, if the cognac will just last until January.

What's your pleasure? I like Remy, but haven't had some in the house in
quite a while

Old 23-12-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

What's your pleasure? I like Remy, but haven't had some in the house in
quite a while

I'm not real fussy. Lately it has been Landy ($15) or Remy "Petit
Champagne" ($19). For something similar that is domestic
(Germain-Robin), I'd be looking at at least $30. But after the holidays
it will be back to Jaques Bonnet ($8.69) and my budget:-(

Alles Gute,

Old 24-12-2007, 08:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

What's your pleasure? I like Remy, but haven't had some in the house in
quite a while

I'm not real fussy. Lately it has been Landy ($15) or Remy "Petit
Champagne" ($19). For something similar that is domestic
(Germain-Robin), I'd be looking at at least $30. But after the holidays
it will be back to Jaques Bonnet ($8.69) and my budget:-(

Alles Gute,

For sparkling wine, we like Ballatoire. ;-d

Old 24-12-2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/23/07 5:48 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

What's your pleasure? I like Remy, but haven't had some in the house in
quite a while

I'm not real fussy. Lately it has been Landy ($15) or Remy "Petit
Champagne" ($19). For something similar that is domestic
(Germain-Robin), I'd be looking at at least $30. But after the holidays
it will be back to Jaques Bonnet ($8.69) and my budget:-(

Alles Gute,

Well, I got really spoiled in college - lots of bad beers/wine/liquor and
then was introduced to the good stuff. I'll buy the good stuff and eke it
out; and do without if I need the $$$ for some kid related expense.

Cheryl

I like to think that I have a paisano attitude towards my table. The
bread and the wine don't have to be gold medal winners, but it has to be
there. Cheap-skate oenophiles also take great pride in finding under
priced wines, and buying them by the cases to hold them over until the
next discovery. Then comes the question of good and gooder. Chateau
Ausone sells for $800/btl but would I enjoy it 130 times more than the
little Bordeaux and Cotes du Rhone that I enjoy at $5/btl? Lastly there
is the question of gourmet vs. gourmand. I, wholeheartedly, embrace the
later group. It would appear that you are a member of the former;-)

Allons voir, si le vin est bon.

Joyeux Noel et une Bonne Annee

Old 24-12-2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

What's your pleasure? I like Remy, but haven't had some in the house in
quite a while

I'm not real fussy. Lately it has been Landy ($15) or Remy "Petit
Champagne" ($19). For something similar that is domestic
(Germain-Robin), I'd be looking at at least $30. But after the holidays
it will be back to Jaques Bonnet ($8.69) and my budget:-(

Alles Gute,

For sparkling wine, we like Ballatoire. ;-d

Bella, bella . We're having triffle for desert.
Have you tried Quady's Black Muscat (Elysium) or their Orange Muscat
(Essencia)? I think you'd like it.

Joyeux Nöel et une Bonne Année

Old 24-12-2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

What's your pleasure? I like Remy, but haven't had some in the house in
quite a while

I'm not real fussy. Lately it has been Landy ($15) or Remy "Petit
Champagne" ($19). For something similar that is domestic
(Germain-Robin), I'd be looking at at least $30. But after the holidays
it will be back to Jaques Bonnet ($8.69) and my budget:-(

Alles Gute,

For sparkling wine, we like Ballatoire. ;-d

Bella, bella . We're having triffle for desert.
Have you tried Quady's Black Muscat (Elysium) or their Orange Muscat
(Essencia)? I think you'd like it.

Joyeux Nöel et une Bonne Année

I love Muscat wines. :-)

Old 25-12-2007, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
Happy Solstice :-)

didja notice that my "Happy Solstice" message was dated 2003? I haven't
had time to write anything lately.....but happy solstice
anyway....gbseg and Happy Yule to all and hopefully the new year will
bring incredible things to all of us. I am gnashing at the bit with not
knowing what or where I'm going with the displacement after January 3rd
when they sell my house from underneath me. Digging up perennials seems
useless...........but it's good therapy. I've cut back the Deutzia and
will dig it up and put it into a pot in a couple of days and winter it
at a friends along with other plants I just can't seem to part with.
Still packing, and in the middle of that, I'm working a full time job as
a baker and all round kitchen person at a retirement village 17 miles
away from where I am at for now. I come home a nub........., gather my
wits and third and fifth wind and cook, do a little packing if I don't
fall asleep on my feet and go to bed like some old farmer's
wife........but in the wise words of "Weezie" in Steele Magnolia's"
"that which does not kill us, only serves to make us stronger"
sigh......right now I'm about 90! it's cold outside and we're safe and
warm and there will be a Christmas dinner and some small things for
Boxing day in honor of James and Patrick who are now a huge part of my
life and new family. My love to all my friends here on the garden
newsgroup. Please bear with me as I get my life in order. I promise to
communicate when things are more settled. I appreciate each and every
one of you. You are very precious and dear to me and I couldn't make it
without the moral support and love that I feel coming at me from all
over the world.

In the middle of it all, I used all the suet and filled all the baskets
outside the bedroom window, the thistle socks are being emptied as I
don't have black sunflower seed (it's too dear to buy right now, and I
already had the thistle and suet as a stash). the sounds of the birds
as they scrabble over the pickings, their fussing at me since I dug up
the clump of Heavy Metal ornamental grass and it's sitting there beside
the shepherd's hook feeder pole reminds me that where I wind up will
never be as populated as it is right now and I relish and cherish every
moment. I count at least seven different birds at the feeders and in
the remains of the Faerie gardens which look stripped but still
partially intact somehow........
While I can........

Madgardener, up on the ridge, Back in FAerie Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in EAstern Tennessee near a drought stricken Douglas Lake in
Dandridge, Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 26-12-2007, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On 12/24/07 1:30 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 12/23/07 5:48 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Actually, for me, wine price doesn't always equal taste (in fact on the
night in question, my $5 bottle was much nicer than either of the 2 $15
bottles). But when it comes to my cognac or single malts, the equation is
much more linear to a point (around $50). The difference between a 12 year
old and 15 year old scotch is amazing.

happy, happy, happy David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 12-01-2010 06:32 AM
Happy Solstice Billy[_4_] Gardening 33 27-12-2007 07:20 PM
Happy Solstice Pat Brennan Orchids 10 21-12-2004 11:58 PM
Happy Solstice madgardener Gardening 8 24-12-2003 02:14 PM
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday... Reka Orchids 4 05-04-2003 11:32 PM