Old 22-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered User

Default White fungus on onions

Hi everyone,
On digging some of my onions up, i noticed they were covered with a white fungus on the underside.
Would anyone know what this is, and what i can do to get rid of it?
Thanks Mark
Old 02-01-2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Soil PH

In article
,
Tad wrote:

John,

I see that Billy already responded to your email. Here's a good
starting point for reading more about what I'm talking about.

http://www.soilfoodweb.com/03_about_us/approach.html

Check out the section on compost tea. You're adding beneficial
aerobic microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, flagellates,
cilliates, and nematodes. These increase nutrient cycling, as most of
the nutrients the plant needs are already in the soil, just not in an
available form.

When I say that nature will correct imbalances, I did not mean that
everything stops and dies in nature. I think that is a ridiculous
interpretation of what I was saying. What I mean is that in nature
when a disease or other imbalance (in this case we're talking pH)
occurs, nature (biology) will in time correct these problems in most
instances. You don't see people spraying herbicides and pesticides in
old growth forests do you? Or applying fertilizer? These ecosystems
were created self-sustaining by nature, without our chemical inputs.
This is what I'm talking about when I suggest using biology.

~Tad

PS: Please take the time to look at the link I provided. If you still
have questions, feel free to respond.

Tad,

http://www.soilfoodweb.com/03_about_us/approach.html appears to be a
GREAT site. I haven't read much of it yet but I was struck by a repeated
passage:
" Bacteria (and fungi) need N, P, K, Ca, and all the other nutrients as
well, and obtain those from organic matter and from inorganic sources as
well."

It may look at first blush that the authors are recommending the use of
"N,P,K chemical fertilizers" (I suspect they aren't.). My understanding
from reading "Teaming with Microbes" by Lowenfels and Lewis is that
most commercial sources rely on salts to nurture the plants and soil.
Salts, in turn, have an detrimental osmotic effect on microorganism. I
presume that the higher the concentration of salts the greater the
detriment and vice-á-versa.

I'm just throwing in my 2¢ worth in and recommend that beginners try to
only use organic fertilizers with food stuffs until they understand
organic principals.

Apropos a discussion in "wrecked gardens.edible" on the dandelion, which
has deep roots and will translocate Ca and K from subsoils to the
surface. It, I believe, is also the only diuretic that supplies
potassium.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.antiwar.com/eland/index.php?articleid=8282
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens, rec.gardens.edible
Tad Tad is offline

Tad,

http://www.soilfoodweb.com/03_about_...ch.htmlappears to be a
[...]

Bush & Cheney, Behind Barshttp://www.antiwar.com/eland/index.php?articleid=8282http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_to_impeach_George_W._Bush- Hide quoted text -

Billy,

The author of all the writings on the website is Dr. Elaine Ingham.
She is a well known in the industry and one of the pioneers in
research and theory relating to the Soil Food Web. She also wrote the
preface to Jeff Lowenfels' Book (another great resource). You are
correct in what you interpreted from Jeff's book. He recommends
organic fertilizers with NPK below 5-5-5. What Dr. Ingham is stating
in the above quote is that the nutrients in most instances are already
tied up in the soil, and just need to made available to the plant
(this is where the biology comes in). The bacteria consume the
organic material, and then are eaten by larger organisms (flagellates,
cilliates, bacterial-feeding nematodes). The waste products of this
process results in plant available nutrients.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

" Bacteria (and fungi) need N, P, K, Ca, and all the other nutrients as
well, and obtain those from organic matter and from inorganic sources as
well."

N P K C and so on are elements and not nutrients.

Food, Nutrient, And Fertilizer - Food is a substance that provides and
energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a substance that provides an energy
source, elements, and other substances essential for life, in types and
amounts that can provide a healthy life. Fertilizer is a substance that
provides elements, as salts mostly, or in bonded forms, that require
microorganisms to alter to forms that can be absorbed by plants.

A nutrient - A substance that contains both an energy source and an
element source.

Nutrients - Fungi can absorb energy sources such as carbohydrates. Plants
cannot do so. Fungi can absorb nutrients. Nutrients are substances that
contain an energy source, elements, and other substances in types and
amounts that are essential for a healthy life. You can give a fungus a
nutrient in the dark and it will thrive. You can give a plant a nutrient in
the dark and it will die. Plants require light energy from the sun to "make"
glucose from carbon - dioxide and water. The process is called
photosynthesis. When you call fertilizers or nutrients food for trees and
other plants it shows you are ignorant of photosynthesis. many people
obviously do not understand plants. Sad, very sad.

Myths: Roots regenerate new roots, roots absorb nutrients, roots are all
shallow, roots are the most important part of a plant, roots have pith,
roots have heartwood, roots and stems are the same, roots have a green
cortex, roots have associations called mycorrhizae, roots absorb food, roots
are all below ground, roots on infant trees are the same as mature roots,
roots have flairs called root flairs, roots cannot live under pavements, all
roots absorb from the soil, over-pruning does not injure roots, roots do not
compartmentalize infections, roots are independent of the tops, you can
inoculate roots with mycorrhizae, root tips are called root hairs, only root
hairs absorb "food", roots go dormant in winter as the top does, roots have
buds, and probably many more! Is it any wonder trees have many problems!

A list of "elements" which I am talking about, can be found here in the
table:

Just to clearly define what I mean when I say element.
http://www.webelements.com/

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Tad

Please define "nutrient".

Also as far as soil goes and the chemistry there of pertaining to trees can
be found he

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

John,

nutrient
noun
a substance that provides nourishment essential for growth and the
maintenance of life : fish is a source of many important nutrients,
including protein, vitamins, and minerals.
ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from Latin nutrient- "nourishing", from the
verb nutrire.

Please note, "including protein, vitamins, and minerals. There is no
energy in vitamins or minerals but they are nutrients.

One of my instructors once picked up a round metal trash can and asked
the class what it was. We, enthusiastically said it was a round metal
trash can. Where upon he turned it over and started drumming on it. What
is it?, he asked again. A drum we responded less enthusiastically. The
he sat it up-side down on the floor and sat on it. A thing is only
restricted in our imaginations as to what it is. It is what it does.

N, P, K, C and so on are elements and can be nutrients, except for N
which is pretty much worthless until it is converted into ammonia or
nitrate. C is also pretty inert biologically unless it come as CO2 or
carbohydrates.

Now, if you want to talk elements, we need to talk electron orbitals,
each of which has a "probability" of being in a particular area at any
given time. For our purposes, I presume you will be prepared to talk
about the s, p, d, and f orbitals next time. P orbitals are particularly
important because they allow for double bonds and aromaticity in
cyclical compounds, like tannins.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Now, if you want to talk elements, we need to talk electron orbitals,
each of which has a "probability" of being in a particular area at any
given time. For our purposes, I presume you will be prepared to talk
about the s, p, d, and f orbitals next time. P orbitals are particularly
important because they allow for double bonds and aromaticity in
cyclical compounds, like tannins.

80 + or - 10. I would rather discuss quarks and mesons. Then work our way
back to why it is illigal to grow commercial hemp in the USA to relieve the
forest from its hurting extracting procedures. Ben Franklin was a hemp
farmer, why can I not be one? What was really the problem with Ben
Franklin? He watched the lightning raise the hairs on the hemp kite string
as it traveled downward into the Earth, LeMay said Franklin couldn't resist
reaching out to touch the hemp and, as you'd expect, he got a slight shock.
It was not just any string that connected Ben Franklin to the clouds above
for his famous experiment, it was hemp string. George Washington as a hemp
farmer. The writer of the Declaration of Independence grew hemp. THE STORY
OF HEMP IN COLONIAL VIRGINIA, By Herndon. A Dissertation which includes
references to George Washington as a hemp farmer. Excellent history.
Ask yourself this question: How does George Washington get to grow hemp and
not the Curator? It gets to the core of the question, what happened in the
last 200 years that we lost such an important right, namely the control of
agricultural production. This prohibition must come to an end. What an
incredible embarrassment it would be to have to explain to George Washington
and Thomas Jefferson that they would have to pull up their hemp crops, that
would have been the Second American Revolution! Both men were high on hemp
as an important crop to replace and rotate with tobacco. It still is.

We really need to use our minds on something prodcutive. As far as the
table of elements. Its still not a table of nutrients.
Industrial hemp has thousands of uses, from paper to textiles to
biodegradable plastics to health food to fuel. It is one of the fastest
growing biomasses on the planet, and one of the earliest domesticated plants
known. It also runs parallel with the "Green Future" objectives that are
becoming increasingly popular. Hemp requires little to no pesticides,
replenishes soil with nutrients and nitrogen, controls erosion of the
topsoil, and converts CO2 to oxygen very well, considering how fast it
grows. Furthermore, Hemp could be used to replace many potentially harmful
products, such as tree paper (the process of which uses bleaches and other
toxic chemicals, apart from contributing to deforestation), cosmetics (which
often contain synthetic oils that can clog pores and provide little
nutritional content for the skin), plastics (which are petroleum based and
cannot decompose), and more. Hemp was used extensively by the United States
during WWII. Uniforms, canvas, and rope were among the main textiles created
from the hemp plant at this time. Much of the hemp used was planted in the
Midwest and Kentucky. Historically, hemp production made up a significant
portion of Kentucky's economy and many slave plantations located there
focused on producing hemp.[25]

In ref. to latter: A nutrient is a substance used in an organism's
metabolism which must be taken in from the environment. Non-autotrophic
organisms typically acquire nutrients by the ingestion of foods. Methods for
nutrient intake vary, with animals and protists having an internal digestive
system, while plants digest nutrients externally and then ingested.

Again

Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

While kicking around the idea of quarks and their odd flavors may be
interesting, it seems a bit (a whole freakin' lot actually) tangential
to the discussion of plant nutrients and healthy garden soils. Whereas
ionic bonding transports ammonia and nitrates to the root hairs, the
actual transport across the cell membrane requires the making and
breaking of covalent bonds by the appropriate proteins. So where do
quarks come into the conversation? NOWHERE!!!

Or are you asserting that your obfuscation is analogous to my MS Tech
Support simile?

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

[...]

I'll catch you at 4:20 but for now can we please stay on subject?

In ref. to latter: A nutrient is a substance used in an organism's
metabolism which must be taken in from the environment. Non-autotrophic
organisms typically acquire nutrients by the ingestion of foods. Methods for
nutrient intake vary, with animals and protists having an internal digestive
system, while plants digest nutrients externally and then ingested.

What is CO2? What is NO3, or NH3? Are these nutrients? Are they
digested externally? Yes, they are nutrients, and no, they aren't
metabolized externally.

Again

[...]

Everything above is correctly identified as myths and totally useless to
someone who wants to adjust their soil to maximize plant health.

Never mind. I can see that the Borg have landed and conversation is
futile.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
While kicking around the idea of quarks and their odd flavors may be
interesting, it seems a bit (a whole freakin' lot actually) tangential
to the discussion of plant nutrients and healthy garden soils.

Oh really? maybe we can kick this around. First my concern for the health
of soils is the supply of cellulose. Cellulose provides glucose for many
organisms especially in the soil or more correctly, of the soil. One
problem with most definitions of soil is they forget the enormous amount of
living organisms that make up "HEALTHY" soil.

e.g., just one def. off the internet.

"Soil is the unconsolidated mineral or organic material on the immediate
surface of the earth and serves as a natural medium for the growth of land
plants."

Here is another def.

"Dirt, or soil, is made from rocks that break apart or wear away over many
years. This is referred to as weathering. It may take 100 to 1000 years
for 1 cm of soil to form through weathering. Soil also contains air, water,
and humus, the decayed remains of dead animals and plants. Soil can
actually be separated into 5 main parts: humus, clay, silt, sand, and
gravel." hmmmm!

I prefer this def. Soil is a substance made up of sands, silts, clays,
decaying organic matter, air, water and an "enormous number of living
organisms". Is it alive or dead? Yes, is the answer. We have no word for
a substance that is both living and dead - wood, soil.

Now healthy soil concerns must address an enormous number of living
organisms. Cellulose provides food for many.

OK, back to quarks. Cellulose is atoms of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen.
Atoms are protons and electrons. Protons and electrons are quarks and
leptons. Not that I completely understand it but quarks do play a role in
soil health.

Something interesting I was studying when I found this out.

Did you know in a sense trees are music? Music is highly ordered waves and
vibrations. Trees are wood, mostly. Wood is cellulose, mostly. Cellulose
is atoms of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. Atoms are protons and electrons.
Protons and electrons are quarks and leptons. Quarks and leptons are highly
ordered waves and vibrations. Wait a minute!! Music is also highly ordered
waves and vibrations!! Think about it.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"kzin" wrote in message

On 4-Jan-2008, "symplastless" wrote:

OK, back to quarks. Cellulose is atoms of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen.
Atoms are protons and electrons. Protons and electrons are quarks and
leptons. Not that I completely understand it but quarks do play a role
in
soil health.

Something interesting I was studying when I found this out.

Did you know in a sense trees are music? Music is highly ordered waves
and vibrations. Trees are wood, mostly. Wood is cellulose, mostly.
Cellulose is atoms of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. Atoms are protons and
electrons.

Protons and electrons are quarks and leptons. Quarks and leptons are
highly ordered waves and vibrations. Wait a minute!! Music is also
highly
ordered waves and vibrations!! Think about it.

Do you talk like this to your clients?

Do they come back after you do? Or,
more likely, do they edge away from you slowly and carefully refraining
from
sudden movements. I'm not a consulting arborist but I'm pretty sure that
you don't need to delve into quantum physics to practice effective
horticulture. As for trees being music... well ... whatever floats your
boat.

ml

1st. I was not talking to you I was speaking to Billy. 2nd I sure do.
Believe it or not some people with an understanding of chemistry do hire
people like me who understand a very little about chemistry to work on their
property. 3rd You reply really does not explain the topic or offer any
incite to the topic. maybe you should comment on something you can offer or
add understanding to. As far as your opinion on waves and vibrations,
thanks for sharing your beliefs. You or anybody offering a servcie have the
right to be ignorant. BTW, what do you mean when you say "practice
effective horticulture"? Just what does that mean? Oh, if they did not
come back they would not be a client.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"kzin" wrote in message

Do you talk like this to your clients? Do they come back after you do?
Or,
more likely, do they edge away from you slowly and carefully refraining
from
sudden movements. I'm not a consulting arborist but I'm pretty sure that
you don't need to delve into quantum physics to practice effective
horticulture. As for trees being music... well ... whatever floats your
boat.

ml

One more thing about my boat. let me guess. You are talking about the
displacement of water? What are you trying to say?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Oh, kzin

Draining a wetland for a foot path is not only illegal in some areas but a
very bad idea.

Ref: http://www.groupsrv.com/hobby/post-3421514.html

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Did you know in a sense trees are music? Music is highly ordered waves and
vibrations. Trees are wood, mostly. Wood is cellulose, mostly. Cellulose
is atoms of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. Atoms are protons and electrons.
Protons and electrons are quarks and leptons. Quarks and leptons are highly
ordered waves and vibrations. Wait a minute!! Music is also highly ordered
waves and vibrations!! Think about it.

Uh huh.

Humans are mammals. Donkeys are mammals. Therefore humans are donkeys.

David

Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"kzin" wrote in message

On 4-Jan-2008, "symplastless" wrote:

Draining a wetland for a foot path is not only illegal in some areas but
very bad idea.

well if you follow the entire thread you'll note that I recommend that he
seek professional advice. Said professional would have been able to
assess
the environmental impact of the propsed path and the legality thereof.
Also
if you read that thread you'd see that it wasn't a wetland he was talking
about but an area behind a commercial office block that would flood during
the rain.

Oh, its a flood plain?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"kzin" wrote in message

On 4-Jan-2008, "symplastless" wrote:

Draining a wetland for a foot path is not only illegal in some areas but
very bad idea.

well if you follow the entire thread you'll note that I recommend that he
seek professional advice. Said professional would have been able to
assess
the environmental impact of the propsed path and the legality thereof.
Also
if you read that thread you'd see that it wasn't a wetland he was talking
about but an area behind a commercial office block that would flood during
the rain.

nice try

ml

Nice try? At what? Its still a bad idead to alter wetlands or flood
plains.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.